Not open for further replies.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Here is my newbie question...

I try to write something I'd enjoy reading, but after a certain point in the editing process, it becomes pretty hard to look at your own draft objectively anymore. How many different beta readers should be responding well before I even consider submitting?

Not sure how to answer this because I never use Beta readers. The question is, how long are you taking between passes to edit? I usually let it marinade a week or so between passes - some people take up to a month to let the palate cleanse between edits. However, I generally don't edit more than twice after I finish. By then, I usually (note: usually) find myself just moving commas and sentences back and forth - generally as a delaying tactic before submitting. Sometimes, you just have to say, this is as good as I can get it (for now) and submit.

UrbanAmazon

It must be Thursday.
Registered
Reaction score
Goodness gracious. I've missed quite a bit in seven years. This might take more than just the one drink to catch up.

... so I guess it'll have to be Guinness.

Must say, the mobile site renovation was a surprise, the paint job especially.

valnic33

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new. Just call me "Intimidated."
I came looking for a critique partner, but I can't seem to din that anywhere. I see lots of "Beta" reader info and "writing partners" stuff. . .
Did my little imagination just invent something that doesn't exist? Or am I not looking in the right place in these massive corridors of threads?'Okay I'm going to hit the button that says "Post Quick Reply" now.
I hope I don't blow up the internet.

Richard White

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Nope . . . universe is still spinning and Internet is still functioning. You're doing all right so far. I don't use crit partners or betas, so I'm not the right person to answer your question, but I suspect if you check around the Beta Reading sub-forum or General Writing Questions, you'll find some information that might point you in the right direction. OR, if we're both lucky, someone more knowledgeable will amble along and give you a more substantive response.

Last edited:

Alcat33

Registered
Reaction score
I love pumpkin or blueberry muffins. It's Fall so my pumpkin craze is being activated. Nice to meet all of you! May I get a mango smoothie with that?

Becksy

Registered
Reaction score
yikes this place is busy... Ill quietly order a pint of Dorset cider, sip it in the corner of the room and people watch for a while... *nervously smiles and waves to people staring over*

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Hello. I'm new. Just call me "Intimidated."
I came looking for a critique partner, but I can't seem to din that anywhere. I see lots of "Beta" reader info and "writing partners" stuff. . .
Did my little imagination just invent something that doesn't exist? Or am I not looking in the right place in these massive corridors of threads?'Okay I'm going to hit the button that says "Post Quick Reply" now.
I hope I don't blow up the internet.

As Richard mentioned, there are beta reader boards on here. That being said, you might have a little more luck snagging a beta reader or crit partner by engaging first in some critting over on the Share Your Work sessions. By contributing your thoughts and helping your fellow writers, that will give folks an opportunity to get to know you first and to get a feel for your style before they jump into committing to a crit partner or beta read relationship. At least, that's how a lot of us who have been around on the boards a little while longer tend to operate from my experience? I also found lovely CPs and beta readers on here by engaging first - both on SYW and within the various forum threads on here.

Good luck and welcome!

I love pumpkin or blueberry muffins. It's Fall so my pumpkin craze is being activated. Nice to meet all of you! May I get a mango smoothie with that?

Ooh, pumpkin muffins...mmmm...now I want pumpkin bread, dang it. *sigh*

Excellent choice on the mango smoothie! What's your guilty writing pleasure on the side?

yikes this place is busy... Ill quietly order a pint of Dorset cider, sip it in the corner of the room and people watch for a while... *nervously smiles and waves to people staring over*

Oh yes, definitely busy! *quickly swipes scythe at the cobwebs hanging on the disco ball* Yep. Totally busy. :greenie

Don't be shy about wandering into the other parts of the forum. And if you have any questions about navigating your way around, feel free to ask and someone will wander along to answer your question, hopefully with a helpful response that doesn't involve secretly dumping plot bunnies on you.

*points at Richard*
*mouths "watch that one"*
*disappears back down her trapdoor entrance in a poof of glitter*

Flamingflowerz

Registered
Reaction score
What's this "avatar" that we're allowed to change? It's not the profile picture, right? So where is it?

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
*hands plot bunnies a crowbar and points at the trap door in exchange for a bottle of Glenfiddich*

*sodders trapdoor shut*
*replaces Richard's Glenfiddich with Mountain Dew*
*cackles*

What's this "avatar" that we're allowed to change? It's not the profile picture, right? So where is it?

The avatar is the picture that shows up below your name and info when you post here in the forums. For example, mine is usually some version of a sparkly grim reaper. Richard's is his latest book cover (which is a very good collection of short stories, by the way, starring a version of moi with a bin chicken in one :greenie I highly recommend).

*ahem* back to the question. You can change your avatar by clicking on settings, and then in the menu on the left hand side, look down below changing your profile and your profile picture. You should see an option to change your avatar. On that page, AW Admin has a whole bunch of handy parameters listed for what you can and cannot do for an avatar image. For example, unless you become an AW subscriber (i.e. send a wee bit of coffee money Mac's way via the blue giving links above and below the forum threads, which is a very nice thing to do as it helps Mac and Lisa keep the lights on in here) or you reach 50 posts, you won't have a bigger avatar just yet like Richard and myself. There are also other parameters around size of images and such - again, directions are on the page where you can change it.

Clear as mud?

Richard White

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
*immediately notices that Glenfiddich doesn't bubble and pours the Mountain Dew into the carnivorous plant's pot*
*notices the plant catches fire*
*orders a new carnivorous plant from Monsters 'R Us*

Hey, Blue Bee, Welcome to the Cooler and glad you found your way to the bar.

So, what do you like to write and what do you like to read (not always the same thing, I've noted)?

Richard White

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Very cool. I self-identify as a SF/F/NF/Fantasy Noir author, but honestly, if there's a check involved, I'll write damn near anything (I'm an author, I can't afford morals, to paraphrase Alfie Doolittle).

Reading wise, I'm primarily SF/F, but I have a healthy collection of non-fiction and a serious manga habit. Also enjoy a good mystery story when I can find one (was a big fan of Ellery Queen and Nero Wolfe when I was younger).

kaejomul

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Can I have a drink? I'd lean towards vodka if that's available!

Flamingflowerz

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the tip! I was able to successfully change it, ha. Now I need to find out how to subscribe to threads so that I know when someone replied to me :tongue

B.D. Skunkworks

Registered
Reaction score
Whasup everyone. I'm new to the site, and this seems a good place to start as any. For a drink, I'll have a glass of orange juice over ice.:cool:

jjhoward

Purveyor of Words
Registered
Reaction score
Bailey's in coffee, one of my favs! Add a few Dove dark chocolates or cheesecake on the side and I'll be purring like a kitten wrapped in a ball of yarn.

Hello to all of you wonderful writers. It is truly a pleasure and honor to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you.

What are you currently reading, when not calling dibs on the pool table?

Richard White

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Thanks so much for the tip! I was able to successfully change it, ha. Now I need to find out how to subscribe to threads so that I know when someone replied to me :tongue

At the top of the page is a pull-down labeled thread tools. One of the options listed there is “Subscribe to Thread”. Voila!

Welcome to the Water Cooler.

Last edited:

Fozzymandias

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I would like a Jack on the rocks please. Is it cool if I'm not 21? Or do drinking laws also apply to fictional cocktails curated by aspiring writers on the internet? I would not be surprised if that were the case.

crgriebe

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new and have a question.

:D Hi! I'm new and this is my first post. I saw the pub and just kind of wandered in. I'd like a rum and punch, please.
So I'm here on the other side of a realization that if I write for job/money, I have to write for myself or I will actually start to lose it. Hi writing community!

I have a question: Anyone here work with other mediums for storytelling?

I ask because I do, video and sound, but in a compulsive kind of way I always come back to writing. Why does storytelling via words feel so different?

TrueDove

Registered
Reaction score
First time here in this place. I will have a dram of Glenlivet, neat please. Or Taliskers, if you have that.
I'm a fairly new writer. What are some good forums or threads to start with for ideas and writing exercises?

Status
Not open for further replies.