AW's Super-Dooper Newbie Pub Where Newbies Can Chat With Golden Oldies

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised I got some crits so quickly but there was definitely a moment of, "Oh, God... somebody actually saw that! ono!"

:roll: And that's after the "Oh S***! Wait! Where's the "undo" button?"

We all go through some anxiety . . . every time. It does get better (sort of, maybe).

I'm in the DFW area so Harvey missed us completely. But I have friends in Houston who barely stayed above water in their neighborhood.

onyxpilot

Registered
Reaction score
New to the scene

Howdy y'all, I'll take a Jack and coke please. wait its to early... Hold the whisky... for now.
I'm new to the whole writing scene but I have unpublished works I want to publish so I wanted to dive into the community and this is where my search ended me. Anyone just want to talk about anything I would love to get to know some more writers. I'll be around waiting for 5:00 o'clock... Though I'll likely just stick to one drink Haha ha :Shrug:

Tatikitchi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Can I get a Baileys, or um... a Bailey?
I was hoping to start a small conversation about films and video games based on books. Would here be a good place to have this convo or should I head somewhere else?

TinaG

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy y'all, I'll take a Jack and coke please. wait its to early... Hold the whisky... for now.
I'm new to the whole writing scene but I have unpublished works I want to publish so I wanted to dive into the community and this is where my search ended me. Anyone just want to talk about anything I would love to get to know some more writers. I'll be around waiting for 5:00 o'clock... Though I'll likely just stick to one drink Haha ha :Shrug:

Onyxpilot go to new members scroll to the bottom and click on start a new post (Something like that) Put your Hello there it will benefit you better in that location as more members will see you to say hello.

TinaG

Registered
Reaction score
I was hoping to start a small conversation about films and video games based on books. Would here be a good place to have this convo or should I head somewhere else?

Tatikitchi I think you have to have 50 post before starting a new thread go over to Jed's Super Dooper ask a mod thread in the new members furom I believe you can get your answer there.

PaoloB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paolobicchieri.com
Hello all! I'll take a gin and tonic, Tanqueray hopefully.

I heard about Absolute Write through 88 Cups of Tea and am hoping to meet some good folks! I am a self-published, and aspiring published, author. DEFINITELY struggling to get my stuff seen, and am looking for those shots of inspiration! Cheers all

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
shakes off the dust and enters the pub for the first time in forever. Jed bring me something to drink. now what was i doing last time i was here above the ground.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Do you want to talk about movies and videos based on books or books based on movies/video games.

Never had a movie or video game based on my stuff, but I am a media tie-in writer, so I've done books/short stories on other people's properties before. It's a rather unique field of work (and if you think NY Times critics are rough, they got nothing on Trekkies if you get something wrong .... *ouch* :e2tomato::flag:)

ryoungwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Do you want to talk about movies and videos based on books or books based on movies/video games.

Never had a movie or video game based on my stuff, but I am a media tie-in writer, so I've done books/short stories on other people's properties before. It's a rather unique field of work (and if you think NY Times critics are rough, they got nothing on Trekkies if you get something wrong .... *ouch* :e2tomato::flag:)

That sounds like a fascinating job! Minus the Trekkie wrath, of course.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
It has been so far. The biggest thing about being a media tie-in writer is having to stick to the proposal ... just because you think this is a much better ending for your story doesn't mean you just go with it. You run it past your editor (who either says yes or no), who then runs it past licensing (who either says yes or no), and then and only then do you deviate from the proposal/outline/chapter breakdown (whatever they've had you do).

In general, you can do whatever you want as long as you put the toys back on the shelf exactly where you got them from. It's a very rare thing to get to actually make an actual change to the character ... generally, you're filling in gaps between TV episodes, explaining when and where these characters met originally, dealing with the stuff that went on during the commercial breaks or in-between the sequels.

But, yeah, it's a blast and while I haven't gotten to work in every franchise I'd like, I've been lucky enough to at least get to play in some sandboxes I never thought I would.

That sounds like a fascinating job! Minus the Trekkie wrath, of course.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
*heaves open trapdoor*
*sprinkles glitter in her wake because*

Tatikitchi I think you have to have 50 post before starting a new thread go over to Jed's Super Dooper ask a mod thread in the new members furom I believe you can get your answer there.

First, welcome newbies! Second, just wanted to clarify for you folks in here that the 50 post minimum applies to posting your work for critique in the Share Your Work section (often abbreviated as SYW). If you have questions you want to ask in the basic writing threads, for example, you don't need 50 posts to do that :)

Also, don't rush to meet that minimum as fast as you can. Get to know the place, get to know your fellow writers, and kick the tires a bit before diving screaming into the critter pool :greenie

Also also, I am totally stealing some of those brownies from whomever mentioned them up thread. Yum!

*sinks back in a cloud of glitter under the trapdoor*

ewynne

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! I found AbsoluteWrite by just googling for writing forums. I majored in English/Creative Writing, took classes in both Fiction and Non-Fiction. I haven't written much since then... Although I have done some editing on the novella I wrote for my final project back then, I might post it for feedback sometime in the future. But recently, I've been focusing on poetry, which... Well, I feel confident about things like themes and metaphors. In fact, one of the main reasons I've gotten into writing poetry is that I've discovered a lot of musical artists within the past six months or so who've gotten me really excited in that regard. My favorite band is the Oh Hellos, and the lyrics on their EPs Notos and Eurus, good grief, are they amazing! The themes are so complex and heavy, and the extended metaphors! The individual songs are great on their own, but they also build on each other, expanding and recontextualizing... I'm all about that stuff. Honestly, I feel like what I've been writing is good in that regard, I'm achieving what I want to achieve (though of course constructive criticism is welcome); what I really need help with is stuff like meter, which I honestly don't know much about. I did write one poem in Fibonacci's sequence (you know: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13.. the golden ratio), and I'm happy with that. I think I have good instincts, but... To be honest, one reason I waited so long to start writing this stuff down is, people say that you should have a good grasp of free verse before you start trying free-form. But then I started thinking, I really do like my ideas, and it'd be a shame to let them go to waste. So, better to write it down and work on it later.

Last edited:

Jennie

Registered
Reaction score
Also also, I am totally stealing some of those brownies from whomever mentioned them up thread. Yum!

I had friends over today and did lots of cooking for my "goûter" (a goûter is traditionally the 4 o'clock meal for children, with bread and chocolate). Even though I gave each of my friends a doggy bag, there are still some leftovers: cucumber & dill sandwiches, "pardulas", which is an Italian kind of tart with ricotta and saffron, small chocolate tarts with a chocolate crust + chocolate cream filling + a dollop of coffee flavoured mascarpone, and pecan toffees, and a few raspberry cookie sandwich... I am happy to hand them over.

RitaWings

Registered
Reaction score
Running in with my hair on fire. . . I just spent over 2 hrs writing my first post and when I was done I highlighted it all and hit control-c so that I could copy it to a spell-grammar check. Instead my whole post disappeared and I was left with an auto-saved "c" Is there anything I can do besides learn a painful lesson? Please message me.

tiddlywinks

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainewitt.com
I had friends over today and did lots of cooking for my "goûter" (a goûter is traditionally the 4 o'clock meal for children, with bread and chocolate). Even though I gave each of my friends a doggy bag, there are still some leftovers: cucumber & dill sandwiches, "pardulas", which is an Italian kind of tart with ricotta and saffron, small chocolate tarts with a chocolate crust + chocolate cream filling + a dollop of coffee flavoured mascarpone, and pecan toffees, and a few raspberry cookie sandwich... I am happy to hand them over.

Mine! They are all mine!! I'm not sharing them with...

*sees disapproving mod look*
*sighs*

I mean, how kind of you, Jennie. I'll just take ONE - don't mind the trembling hand that's grasping for more - and I'll just sit over here. Protecting the rest. For more newbies. Yup. Totally protecting these for newbies.

Rita, hope you got that solved. That stinks when you lose your work. :/ Want a tart?

tiddlywinks

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainewitt.com
:welcome: How do you take your coffee? Ignore all those chocolate tarts in the corner, they're all --

*hears secret mod warning again*

Dang it. I mean, have one of Jennie's amazing goodies!

Sit down. Enjoy yourself a spell. And don't mind the bedazzled tables. I, uh, got a little bored.

Last edited:

Deadword

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my glob! I'm new. This whole site is a little overwhelming. I joined in hopes to find a good place to talk to other writers and maybe trade manuscripts, short stories and poetry to help each other better our craft. Sooo, that's my thaang.

Status
Not open for further replies.