AW's Super-Dooper Newbie Pub Where Newbies Can Chat With Golden Oldies

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldHat63

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Lost in the woods of TN and prefer it that way
You don't need the piano, Nathan. Just throw Billy up on the bar and have at it. Here, I'll even loan you a knife.
*Hands Nathan a Bowie with a 12inch blade*

Oh wait... You don't mean THAT kind of butcher. Oops. Sorry.

( Um, I think writing about characters with very violent tendencies may be having an adverse effect on me. )

Last edited:

NathanLyle

Registered
Reaction score
You call that a knife? That's not a knife! *pulls out a cleaver* This is a knife. I call her June.

OldHat63

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
*Pulls out the Howda*

Nathan, didn't anybody ever tell ya not to bring a knife - or a cleaver - to a gun fight?

Anyway, I gave ya the little one 'cause it's good for skinnin' and general butcherin'
If it's hackin' ya want I've got a greatsword out in the truck. I cal her Brienne, after that ol' gal on Game of Thrones, 'cause she's big and sharp, and'll hurt ya if yer not real careful.

Last edited:

Vida Paradox

Code Surfer
Registered
Reaction score
The double door flapped open as I walked into the bar. I ignored all the ruckus and all the people all around me as I make a beeline towards the bartender. I sat down on a small chair and took a deep breath. "Wow... So this is how it feels like..." I small smile grew on my face as the events of the last few minutes came flowing back. The smile slowly turned into a grin until I can't hold back a soft giggle. "Oh, dear lord finally!!!"

I looked at the bartender and winked at him. "Hi! May I have a glass of Or..." A sudden shift in temperature and a feeling of dread ran down my spine. "Original Hot Coffee Special of this Pub? I always look for something unique from every restaurant I visit." I said as a nervous smile formed on my face, hoping that I did not screw up the one thing I've been waiting for too long. "So... Busy place huh? I'm Vida by the way, it's nice to finally be able to interact with you all."

(By the way, if that Orange Juice trick is a way to trap people who didn't read the rules... It's an absolute genius.)

Summer89

Registered
Reaction score
*scratching my head* what happened? How did I end up here? Oh! This is a bar.. Well I am not touching the counter now that Billy is laying there. Do you serve the table? *looking around desperately trying to find an empty one*

OldHat63

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
*Pushes the Piano Man off behind the bar*
Sorry folks... Some people just can't clean up after themselves.

Vida, Summer... Howdy. *tips hat*
I've only been here a few days myself.

Summer, I can clear out a table for ya if ya like, but it won't be any better than the bar..
Might even have holes in it's top once it's properly cleaned. *whispers* they really need to cut that cleanser they use down a bit. Or stop adding so much of the house whiskey to it.

Anyway, I'd suggest sticking to the coffee, 'til you get used to the place. It can be a little... dizzying.. around here.

Last edited:

Vida Paradox

Code Surfer
Registered
Reaction score
You don't have to tell me to stick with coffee... I can't live without one. Coffees are amazing, it's like consuming liquid energy!

So, OldHat, you're here often? I'm kinda lost at what to do now. I'll probably stop by SYW and starts analyzing or commenting other people's work. But really, these imaginary avatar is getting restless and I really want to start traveling.

Or at least until I get my coffee...

Also, hi Summer! You somehow made it here too huh? I'm new here too, so hi again!

OldHat63

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Vida, I've just been jumping around from place to place, sticking my head in every "door" that'll open for me, and talking to anybody that's saying something I have an interest in.
The various Pubs are good, because they don't have a specific set of rules attached to them, in general. You can just talk, and get to know the people there, and they can do the same with you.

I've only been here 3 or 4 days myself, and have already met/spoken to quite a few people, and participated in several interesting conversations. And had a lot of fun doing it.

Also, do go read the stickies and guides posted here in the New Members Forum. They really are a lot of help.

Vida Paradox

Code Surfer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I will! I just found this nice thread about three sentences of story? There are so many things to analyze and so many feedback to get. This forum is amazing!!!

JDGood

Registered
Reaction score
I'll take Long Island, and is it cool if I just toss the peanut shells on the floor? Ok awesome.

OldHat63

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
You can have Long Island... Hell, take all of New Jersey too, for that matter. Just keep yer grubbies off'a Tennessee. ;)

Oh, and.. Howdy. *tips hat*

Ah....you only wanted a Long Island Iced Tea? Sorry... thought your aspirations were a little higher than that, for a sec. :e2bummed:

Last edited:

anaemic_mind

I come with accessories now
Registered
Reaction score
*Peeks head round the door and immediately tries to ignore all the scary talk about knives...had enough of that IRL recently*

Any gin left?

OldHat63

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Howdy, Anaemic Mind. *tips hat*

*Peeks head round the door and immediately tries to ignore all the scary talk about knives...had enough of that IRL recently*

Ah, don't mind the sharp'n pointies... Nobody's gonna stab you for your purse here, or anything of the like.

Any gin left?

Barrels. The bartender'll get ya anything ya like.

Welcome to Absolute Write.

OldHat63

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
and you're up to 213 posts already. :Jaw: I need to up my game

I'm not new to forums just this one. Spent many years going back and forth between sword forums and various gun forums, among others.

And I'm also both retired, and gabby, so I can do in a week what it takes others a month or two to pull off. Operating on a 30+ hour day doesn't hurt either.
( You wouldn't believe all the other things I've been doing in addition to posting here. )

O.H.

P.S. I learn best by talking to people... And I'm here to learn.

Last edited:

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Brad,

I've been here since March 2005 and only have 2600+ posts. You can be as chatty (or not) as you choose.

*cough* Some of us, um, just can't help ourselves. And we deal with beating away the plot bunnies SOME PEOPLE *gives Richard the side-eye* get wet and throw into our story closet. And/or we participated in a certain thread that was all about fast and snappy one liners until it died...:e2bummed:

*eyes post count* I've slowed down a bit the past year. Honest.
*smiles nervously*

:welcome:

Muse_Clio

Registered
Reaction score
What kind of cookies do you have? My cousins are knife people. They've always got one on hand. I like swords better, product of reading Tamora Pierce's Alanna when I was young. Used to play-fence in the back yard with a plastic pirate sword and a water/glitter baton. Anyway. :hi:

OldHat63

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I don't have any cookies, but I carry one of these on me anytime I'm out 'n about, plus a couple of the folding variety.

dyfXKbzc6nwYACaNCAo-cFxLwnZfmfAfNNl8UNKU2OBq2Q-gTHhMCw82ZxnzYMo4539ijR-ntfNuy0bbWpLBb4dlAqw7VhCldM4bYcRqsrO8ZfheFOvScH6XTAUlBpR5lPTgmr8m54e6f6VqvkguZkwa3GuYToT3FGlL7sySVd9JhFnZ3W7NsdHcvbqDjRdPFacmbW7MkYvi6-nnpPjgARukGi-i3G2Z_vepCuhE5NDMEVdsfmHNp6QvYeAnAB4P87f2iHxEOuv6Rw16id6dBv88eNz2Sq823XlkH5dDMyA6nZst03cAPTle3A26Ma8l4I-neN9jWxy10mkLFK5ESzhI6h8ahGLwO-ewz5YnCL4ZdspllZwoTNBRRXBfixGSFNZRrf8jVOCUM4LtCoaQjaHeWN9hAOyxnOWJGltfUMkU4SsUsmUu9l2zQxiGu4DC-aRljeIcxxRWX2Ndyo6fpA3iwlvWZZQAUlfqSqCr7zajtPtAi7cALS6oq3QMBbAwlCTDvfj-K9gu2v9aE7PKL10KsagwI_Z-6XjF11DCvDThA5D5-Bgw_EVyBi7N-eyR05Wa2VtaS1cr6FhDBqX56Vb3MIlkmVmF6rJprIGOrW96oCzl6MsmRFQ9KG9zYg=s400-no

I'm intending to build a sword cane as soon as I find a blade I like, since those are legal in my area now.

And I've studied a few martial arts, as well as several kinds of weapons, swords and knives included.

O.H.

sci fi fics

Registered
Reaction score
*Enters bar. Ensures that no nuns, rabbis, or priests are following me in. I don't want to get mixed up in those shenanigans.*

I'll take a non-alcoholic water, please.

Hey, all. I'm new around here. This is a big forum and I'm not even sure where to start.

Oceans24Skies

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, all!

I'll take winner at the pool table, drunks on the dance floor, and leave the snacks and drinks to you all :)

_Melody_

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everybody! I’ll have some water and sit in the corner booth observing everybody.

Just like other newbie’s, Ive been popping in and out of forum topics. Its quite overwhelming. There are so many subs and topics. I look for ones that interest me, but sometimes I find that they haven’t been commented on for months, which is a bummer. Which topics have you guys found to be the best to get to know the forum and its community?

I have two questions and I hope this is the appropriate place to ask them. I wanted to comment on other people’s work, but found that I couldn’t get in the sub. Is this only available for more seasoned posters? The same goes for my signature: i’ve made one and saved it, but its not showing up underneath posts. Is this also a privilege for more seasoned posters?

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
*heaves up trapdoor*
*falls on the floor in an inelegant sploof of glitter and grumbles*
*brushes off self and scurries behind bar*

Yeesh, the orders are piling up! Um. Um. *stares at the shelves* Baileys for everyone! And rum for me. :evil

:welcome:

*Enters bar. Ensures that no nuns, rabbis, or priests are following me in. I don't want to get mixed up in those shenanigans.*

*points at the furry little terrors currently trying to look all cute and fluffy that sneak in behind sci fi*

NO PLOT BUNNIES INSIDE THE BAR.

*sees little noses twitch in question*

No, you can't amok. Or bring in different shenanigans.

And nooooo, you can definitely not go down my trapdoor. Back! Back, I say!

Hello, all!

I'll take winner at the pool table, drunks on the dance floor, and leave the snacks and drinks to you all :)

Snacks? Someone brought snacks?

Please say they are cookies.

I'm afraid of no monster under the bed. I feel like I AM the monster under the bed. Maybe a pirate as well since I'll have the rum. :D

*stares suspiciously at DesertBioPunk*

Have you been talking to my plot bunnies?

Which topics have you guys found to be the best to get to know the forum and its community?

I have two questions and I hope this is the appropriate place to ask them. I wanted to comment on other people’s work, but found that I couldn’t get in the sub. Is this only available for more seasoned posters? The same goes for my signature: i’ve made one and saved it, but its not showing up underneath posts. Is this also a privilege for more seasoned posters?

Great questions, Melody! Regarding topics, it depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking for basic writing advice? The Novels section always has some intriguing threads. Hoping to hone your editing and critting skills (and find things you can apply in your own writing)? Get thee to Share Your Work (use passcode vista to get in :)) - come and dip your toes in the water. The critters don't bite!

Or do you just want to hang with some fellow evil writers who are plagued by plot bunnies / escaping plot bunnies / escaping real life so they can discover new plot bunnies? Depends on what you like to write. Various threads in the Office Party section are a great place to mingle (and to learn how to use the forum posting tools).

As for commenting on others' writing, I hope I answered with the SYW password. No, it's not available only to seasoned posters; however, you DO need to reach 50 posts before you'll be allowed to start a thread of your own for critique (and don't rush to get there. Take your time, get to know AW, share a little more of yourself and your thoughts on writing with the community first. You'll find you have a much better experience in SYW once you are familiar with AW's denizens and the wealth of information to be found all over!)

With your signature...when you are posting, do you see a little box option below your draft post that says "show your signature" with a checkmark next to it? Did you click the check box so it actually shows up? If not, well, there you go. If yes, well...you might want to post your question over in the tech help section where our awesome admin Lisa or one of the moderators can get to the bottom of your issue.

Hope this helps, and enjoy getting to know the community! Looking forward to seeing all of you in the various threads.

~Winks, who is not in need of additional plot bunnies today, thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.