AW's Super-Dooper Newbie Pub Where Newbies Can Chat With Golden Oldies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Criccieth

Registered
Reaction score
Very. It's sweet and slightly thick but then of course it's honey-based. Think "honey liqueur" and you're pretty close. Definitely not something everyone likes but then, I've never found a beer I like (although one of these days I'll get a taste of Guinness on-tap here in Ireland, as apparently the "good stuff" is kept at home and the rest is shipped abroad!)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
The process for making Mead is similar to making wine. The big difference is the honey, but just as in making wine, you can make a dry mead, or a not-so-dry, or something really sweet. It all depends on the recipe. The other variable is the honey. Honey is regional and seasonal. The flavors of honey are totally dependent on the flowers that the bee's harvested nectar. Flower blooms depend on the time of year. Sometimes, you can buy honey where the bees have had an almost exclusive crop of one kind of flower - and that can really change the taste.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
The process for making Mead is similar to making wine. The big difference is the honey, but just as in making wine, you can make a dry mead, or a not-so-dry, or something really sweet. It all depends on the recipe. The other variable is the honey. Honey is regional and seasonal. The flavors of honey are totally dependent on the flowers that the bee's harvested nectar. Flower blooms depend on the time of year. Sometimes, you can buy honey where the bees have had an almost exclusive crop of one kind of flower - and that can really change the taste.

I'm just popping in here to express my admiration for someone who can brew their own mead.

Jennifer Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
Uhh... excuse me. Thank you. Can I get a drink? I think I'll just start with water, as I'm a bit overwhelmed here and don't usually do message boards, so I'm not sure how to read the menu. No lemon, because that sounds like it's related to an orange, which I understand is not good??

Criccieth

Registered
Reaction score

Indeed. There used to be a shop in the Old Brewery Quarter in Cardiff which sold mead in pottery bottles and had a massive range of flavour - lemon mead and apple mead are the ones I remember best. The flavour name wasn't something that had been added to the mead, it was the main type of blossom that the hive had used. The taste changes were subtle but distinct - I remember the apple one being especially tasty.

Sadly the shop seems to have gone. If anyone's from Cardiff: this was in the 1990s, back before all the rebuild around St Davids - it used to stand on the corner of Caroline Street and St Mary Street.

Uhh... excuse me. Thank you. Can I get a drink? I think I'll just start with water, as I'm a bit overwhelmed here and don't usually do message boards, so I'm not sure how to read the menu. No lemon, because that sounds like it's related to an orange, which I understand is not good??

Hi there! (passes Jennifer a water, grabs a mead and wonders if anyone wants to talk Six Nations. Cymru am byth!

Last edited:

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
There's a Sports thread. I have been commenting on the matches, but it's almost an echo chamber of my own voice in there.

Missed the Welsh game, but I was overjoyed at what Scotland accomplished.

Criccieth

Registered
Reaction score
There's a Sports thread. I have been commenting on the matches, but it's almost an echo chamber of my own voice in there.

Missed the Welsh game, but I was overjoyed at what Scotland accomplished.

Saw your location - I miss it muchly myself (moved 5 years ago). Every time we go home, something else has changed!

Scotland were storming tonight - saw most of second half. The Irish result was a surprise now! I thought we'd do better with Biggar and Halfpenny back.

rusoluchka

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everybody! It's Sunday here in sunny yet freezing Southern California. I know, I know, cry me a river California for having weather that forces us to wear actual shoes instead of flip flops, or thongs for my aussie folks. Anyone planning to see Annihilation? Watched it yesterday and it's really thought provoking.

RebelKimberly

Registered
Reaction score
Bellying up to the bar....I'll have a tall glass of Amarone and some fine conversation to go along with it, please. Ooh, and the bacon sandwich sounded great too!

Cheers!
(clink - clink)

P.S. Jed your chocolate cake, Baileys, and cookies sounds like an Ah-mazing dessert potential! BTW - I LOVE Cadbury eggs - the 'gooier', the better!

Jill Karg

So many WIPs which one to work on
Registered
Reaction score
Bellying up to the bar....I'll have a tall glass of Amarone and some fine conversation to go along with it, please. Ooh, and the bacon sandwich sounded great too!

Cheers!
(clink - clink)

P.S. Jed your chocolate cake, Baileys, and cookies sounds like an Ah-mazing dessert potential! BTW - I LOVE Cadbury eggs - the 'gooier', the better!

Anything Jed makes is awesome. He does have his private stock of Baileys that I have been searching for since the pub open and reopened....(repeat). It is TGIF here and payday to boot. So, setting up drinks for all and four-leaf clover iced sugar cookies. enjoy.

xkara

Registered
Reaction score
Hello there, Golden Oldies! Hello there, other Newbies! :D It's a nice relaxing Sunday morning for me, although... I suppose I've got a lot that needs doing today. Oops!

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
A bucket of four leaf clover iced sugar cookies, please. My kind of bar!

RunForPresentense

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, this is a question for all you golden oldies out there: is it considered obnoxious or complementary for someone to PM you with a request for you to crit something they’ve posted because they’re a fan of your style?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the situation. if it someone who has not been a member long, and you are a regular in SYW, they may have read your responses and find your responses to be informative. By PMing they may have made an honest mistake in forum etiquette. If they are pushy and requesting crits all over the place, that is not okay.

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still a bit new around here so clearing this up for the newbies. Is the forum etiquette to put requests for beta reads and crits in the beta readers section? Obviously there's SYW too...

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
Bartender, give me something to mellow me out! I just posted my first SYW in the sci-fi/fantasy thread and I'm inwardly hyperventilating over it! My mind might pass out in a second!

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
*walks into the pub after too long gone
*notes dust on the bar but sees the magic restocking system is still working well

Bartender, give me something to mellow me out! I just posted my first SYW in the sci-fi/fantasy thread and I'm inwardly hyperventilating over it! My mind might pass out in a second!

*raises eyebrow
You know leaving that choice up to the bartender de jour can be dangerous, right?
You'll be needing something very strong for that
*sets a strange bubbling brew on the bar

Seriously, SYW can be nerve-wrecking. I know. Been there. Some folks can be very detailed while others will be a bit more general; some on the blunt side, others more gentle. The main things to remember are not to take it personally, evaluate all crits based on how they critique other works, and look for patterns. If just one person says something, eh maybe it needs to be fixed, maybe not. But if several people point out similar things, you need to take a closer look. The goal is to learn something from it. Good luck.

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still a bit new around here so clearing this up for the newbies. Is the forum etiquette to put requests for beta reads and crits in the beta readers section? Obviously there's SYW too...

I know you asked this quite a while ago, so hopefully you found the answer elsewhere. However, in case you didn't. . . SYW is generally for shorter pieces of your work. If you're looking for a beta reader, who would usually read the entire work, yes, that would be in the beta readers section.

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
*walks into the pub after too long gone
*notes dust on the bar but sees the magic restocking system is still working well

*raises eyebrow
You know leaving that choice up to the bartender de jour can be dangerous, right?
You'll be needing something very strong for that
*sets a strange bubbling brew on the bar

Seriously, SYW can be nerve-wrecking. I know. Been there. Some folks can be very detailed while others will be a bit more general; some on the blunt side, others more gentle. The main things to remember are not to take it personally, evaluate all crits based on how they critique other works, and look for patterns. If just one person says something, eh maybe it needs to be fixed, maybe not. But if several people point out similar things, you need to take a closer look. The goal is to learn something from it. Good luck.

lol I guess you can tell I don't drink! I'd be in so much trouble! lol Thanks for your encouragement! It really helps!

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
lol I guess you can tell I don't drink! I'd be in so much trouble! lol Thanks for your encouragement! It really helps!
LOL

You're welcome. I remember my first time in SYW - crickets for ages. I think that was worse than people ripping it to shreds 'cause I kept thinking "OMG! Is it THAT bad that no one wants to be the first to say so?!"

BTW - where in Texas?

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
LOL

You're welcome. I remember my first time in SYW - crickets for ages. I think that was worse than people ripping it to shreds 'cause I kept thinking "OMG! Is it THAT bad that no one wants to be the first to say so?!"

BTW - where in Texas?

Near enough to Houston that when Harvey hit we just missed being flooded by about a mile in almost all directions! We were an island for a couple days!

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
LOL

BTW - where in Texas?

I'm surprised I got some crits so quickly but there was definitely a moment of, "Oh, God... somebody actually saw that! ono!"

Status
Not open for further replies.