Naming Your Pet in Acknowledgments

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Is this too silly? I really want to put my cat in my acknowledgments. He actually gave me inspiration to give my MC a cat, very much like my guy. He's been my first and only cat so far and he's been a slice of heaven. As many of you cat owners would know, owning one is like heaven.

So can I do this? Or will it seem too weird or silly?

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Go for it. It's your acknowledgements, you can put whoever you want in there. Anyone who frowns upon who you choose to acknowledge is not the kind of person I want to hang out with.

I probably should put my dog in my acknowledgements. :) Without him I'd never leave the house at weekends.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine anyone more deserving than our faithful feline companions. :)

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I say go for it too. :) I'd acknowledge my cats, but they haven't contributed to my writing (yet) - wandering in front of the computer monitor does NOT count, moglets!

If I manage to get published one day, I want to dedicate a book to my horse at some point, because I've known her half a lifetime and she's very important to me. So weird and silly or not, I'm with you. :D

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much guys. Yeah, he's really been a lifesaver for me. I suffer from the bipolar disorder and have horrible waves of depression. But through all those times, he's felt my sadness too and has comforted me in wonderful calming moments. Anyway, I could go on and on about him, but I won't for the book. I just think since the book deals with depression and mental illness and as I've mentioned, the MC in the book gets a cat. And the cat in the book plays a important role. The MC suffers from a split personality disorder, but both the character's sides agree on loving the cat. I think that's important too in many ways.

I need to do a special author's note for this book too as the publisher requested it. I may even save my kitty boy for that too.

He's my avatar in case anyone's wondering. But I'm sure all you smart people figured that out already. lol

ArcticFox

The Childlike Empress
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a story about my dog and when I sold it I acknowledged him in the bio section. :)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I've read books where pets are named in acknowledgements, often for inspiration or emotional support, and I think I've even run across one or two dedications to a pet.

If I ever get a book published, I'll likely thank the dogs and cats for reminding me it's important to take a break and get up from the computer now and again :)

I say go for it too. :) I'd acknowledge my cats, but they haven't contributed to my writing (yet) - wandering in front of the computer monitor does NOT count, moglets!

Hahaha. Mine do this also. What my cat Leo does each night at precisely 12:30 AM (he's very, um, regular, and there's a cat box in the closet in the computer room) is not terribly inspiring either, unless I'm writing a scene where something stinks horribly.

Last edited:

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Sr. Esteban's first (non-fic) book was dedicated to the two poopsies who raised me.

Tip your hat any direction you like.

:)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
This is great! You guys are awesome. I feel inspired to write it now. It's a big relief to hear. And here I thought I was being silly.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I've read books where pets are named in acknowledgements, often for inspiration or emotional support, and I think I've even run across one or two dedications to a pet.

I agree.

It's your book. Go for it.:)

Ona Mission

A Bit Squirrelly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
onanewmission.wordpress.com
Lisa, I think that's a great idea. You know what he means to you, what you get from him, and you want to share that feeling with the world. That's not weird or creepy. It's beautiful. Note: If he didn't inspire a character in the story, I'd probably offer a different answer. But it works in this case.

Just don't describe how he smells or complain about the fact that he shit on your bed in the acknowledgement. Leave that for your blog. ;)

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Lisa, I think that's a great idea. You know what he means to you, what you get from him, and you want to share that feeling with the world. That's not weird or creepy. It's beautiful. Note: If he didn't inspire a character in the story, I'd probably offer a different answer. But it works in this case.

Just don't describe how he smells or complain about the fact that he shit on your bed in the acknowledgement. Leave that for your blog. ;)

Haha. Got it!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Late to your party, Undercover, but I'm in the "go for it" camp! I think it's a beautiful sentiment like Ona Mission wrote. (And congrats on needing to write an Acknowledgement!)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Late to your party, Undercover, but I'm in the "go for it" camp! I think it's a beautiful sentiment like Ona Mission wrote. (And congrats on needing to write an Acknowledgement!)

Thanks so much. Yeah, I won't go overboard... as much as I'd like to... Ona won't let me.;)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little late to the discussion but I dedicated my book A Dog of War to my late dog Chelsea. She inspired the book. If your fur baby inspires you, acknowledge them.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little late to the discussion but I dedicated my book A Dog of War to my late dog Chelsea. She inspired the book. If your fur baby inspires you, acknowledge them.

Exactly. I thought it would be fitting to do so since he (with the exception of the name change) is in the book itself. Right down to the very description, gray tabby with a white and gray striped belly and one green eye and one brown. AND I got him from the Animal Welfare too, just as how the MC gets hers.

I might even mention rescuing a pet and owning one helps to cope with depression, since I'll be writing that author's note thing too.

I've started on some of it already and was starting to go overboard and thought, Ona...remember what she said, no shitting all over the place about it. haha

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, because I'm the Queen of Restraint. ;)

Wait.

No, I'm the Queen of Motivation. Carry on. Again.

Seriously, tho. I was sitting on the idea for a while (since last week.) And Leap sent me to do this week. I was like, oh hell no...and the more I thought about it, the more wild my thankfulness was becoming. With no writing to be had. Then boom, you say ur gonna be offline and work (like every writer should) and I was like, shit...get to work too, lee lee. I got those suckers condensed good. And a special shout out to my Office peeps too. I'm happy with my acks, thanks for putting an axe to my AW addiction (for a while) and forcing me offline too. LIGER Lady, Queen of Motivation.

tanks Onababycakers....back in the do i go!

**this post was based on a true story ;)***

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
With her face on the front cover, my cat acknowledges me - and I'm grateful :)

She is? So sweet!:)
Pretty Lady she is, love her markings.
Thanks for the support too.

And yes, it's a fact. Kitty boy is in there for good now. They just sent me the ARC that I have to proof.

Last edited:

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
Ultra late to this one, but YAY for including kitty in the acknowledgements! I agree, if we have animal companions, we should acknowledge them somehow, as a thank you for their unconditional love and support.