If You're Writing a Phone Conversation...

Geniussavantwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Is putting (on the phone) or (into the phone) needed for each line of dialogue for a phone call?

Can you ever have something like this:

The phone rings. Katey answers.

KATEY
Hello?

Or do you always need to have parentheses?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Give whoever's reading it credit for having a brain. Telling them one time the character is on the phone is enough. Make it clear when Katey hangs up, and have the rest be normal dialogue.

I'd think you'd only need to use the parentheticals if Katey is simultaneously having a conversation with someone in the same room. Then the reader might need clarification about which person Katey is talking to for each line.

Maryn, making an educated guess

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
Just keep it as clear and simple as possible.

If it's just Katey in the room talking on the phone, write something like:

The phone rings. Katey answers. It's Bill calling.

KATEY

Talk, talk, talk.

You don't need (into phone).

If you want to show two people in different locations having a phone conversation, then establish both locations with INT. or EXT. and write:

They have a phone conversation. Intercut as necessary.

Then write it as if they're in the same room having normal dialogue. When one hangs up, you go back to scene, wherever that character is. You can write BACK TO SCENE, but you don't have to, as long as it's clear what's going on.

Last edited:

BMajor

Probably judging you.
Registered
Reaction score
Keep it simple :) I was told once that all I'd need was the first (into phone) or something similar and then I didn't need to use it for the rest of the phone conversation. Agreed with Maryn to make it clear when she hangs up, however.

Last edited:

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is this for a screenplay or a play-play? I don't know about the rules for formatting for screenplays, but I will pass along some advice one of my theatre professors gave me:

When you have a phone call on stage, always have the other person present. Audiences don't like watching someone talk into a plastic prop for a long time!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Is putting (on the phone) or (into the phone) needed for each line of dialogue for a phone call?

Can you ever have something like this:

The phone rings. Katey answers.

KATEY
Hello?

Or do you always need to have parentheses?
I think you're supposed to establish they're talking into the phone (and not to someone else in the room, say) up front, e.g.
Code:
                     KATEY
              (into phone)
       Hello?

-or-

KATEY (into phone)
       Hello?
...and then you can drop it. If you also show the other person on their phone, same thing, then you can use INTERCUT or INTERCUT AS DESIRED

-Derek

Saul Rothman

Registered
Reaction score
Give whoever's reading it credit for having a brain. Telling them one time the character is on the phone is enough. Make it clear when Katey hangs up, and have the rest be normal dialogue.

I'd think you'd only need to use the parentheticals if Katey is simultaneously having a conversation with someone in the same room. Then the reader might need clarification about which person Katey is talking to for each line.

Maryn, making an educated guess

One time - check
If also speaking to someone in the room - check
Educated guess - graduate!

Saulisa

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
Just make it clear that's it's a phone conversations, as in:

Bill and Mary talk on the phone.

Then you don't need to use up space with the (into phone) wrylies.

dennis7490

Registered
Reaction score
I always establish location, etc., then put [CUT TO EACH SPEAKER AS THEY SPEAK]. When the conversation ends I put INT./EXT LOCATION - TIME and then say "Bill (or whoever) hangs up the phone." which leaves the reader at that location.
I'm sure there are many ways to do this. This is just one.