• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Need Beta for YA - Paranormal/ Post-apocolyptic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimoon

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for some Beta's. I've had one before who did mostly a line by line, but what I really need is someone to help me figure out what I can develop, or what I need to further develop within my story.

This is not a first time edition, I've rewritten this novel many times and edited, so it's not just all thrown together randomly.

The story is a little out there, so be into fantastical things, etc.

Summary:

The Storm came and went, destroying the world. Insects, birds, Mammals, and reptiles, all turned against humanity in a savage and bloody attempt to take the world back. To save the Earth from the destructive grasp of humans.

A hundred years after the Storm, seventeen year old Syra is pretending to be human within a camp of survivors. But she doesn't belong. She is Natura, a people connected to the Earth, able to draw on its energy and use its power to heal, to speak with animals, to call storms, or to help plants grow.

And the humans blame her, blame her people, for everything that has happened to them.

Syra struggles to balance everything going on around her. She is apprenticed to the camp's medic, making friends with a human boy, waiting for her binding ceremony, and trying to keep her guardian happy.

--

This is a very rough summary. More back story than summary, but if you are at all interested, please send me a message or respond here.

Thanks!

WriteRex

Registered
Reaction score
You only have three posts. Please contribute more posts to the AbsoluteWrite forum until you reach a total of 50 posts before you promote your manuscript here and ask for a beta-reader. Thanks!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You only have three posts. Please contribute more posts to the AbsoluteWrite forum until you reach a total of 50 posts before you promote your manuscript here and ask for a beta-reader. Thanks!

Unless something has changed or I'm confused I don't believe that's true. Anyone is welcome to post in the beta section.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Unless something has changed or I'm confused I don't believe that's true. Anyone is welcome to post in the beta section.

I'm not a mod, but that's my understanding as well. :) Welcome, Nimoon! I'm pretty sure your post is fine (unless a mod tells you otherwise), but if you don't get any bites, your best bet is to hang around and get to know us, as a lot of times you'll have better luck if people know you already from around the forum.

Either way, good luck, and :welcome:!

Nimoon

Registered
Reaction score
I think that assuming I don't know the forums just because I don't post is unfair. To be honest, Ive had an account for years (a different one before this) and have read and been on these forums many times. I am just one of those people who doesn't believe in posting unless I really have something to say that no one else has to say. And usually you guys already say what I would have said. No point in repeating the same stuff. I am also just shy.

I hate the way people here frown upon people who don't have posts. Its unfair to not be included in the community just because we are not big posters, or overly shy.

I'm sure I could boost up my posts and repeat what people have already said just for the number, but again, I am not that person.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Which is no doubt a large part of the reason no one's offering to beta read for you, Nimoon. You're a stranger to us, by your own choice. A beta read done well is a big commitment of time and effort which might be spent on our own work. Why would we choose to give that energy to someone who's chosen not to be a part of this community, especially when it understands shy (me-me-me, and a great many others) and welcomes all?

You seem a prime candidate for Why I Won't Beta Read Your Novel. Just the first post is enough. (It devolves into snit-fits and sidetracks a fair amount.) It elaborates on what I've just said, and explains what the AW member might do to get me and others to beta read for them.

Because I do beta read, and so do others who've replied to you--or ignored you.

Maryn, speaking as a citizen, since this is not the board she moderates

Nimoon

Registered
Reaction score
I think your post is very rude and completely unnecessary. I don't think absolute welcomes all. Ever. I think that there are an awful lot of people who frequent this forum who think being rude or brash and abusive is the right way to act. I realize this does not include everybody, but I have often seen people completely shut down and destroyed before ever given the opportunity to do or say a thing.

And trust me, this is not just my opinion. I have met and read a variety of posts about the bullying nature behind AW.

You are entitled to your opinions, as am I. And I would be more than willing swap, which means that I would be putting in just as much time and dedication as the person who was doing the same for me, which is something I have done before.

I've chosen not the be a part of this community because I don't like it. My apologies for posting and attempting on the off chance to give it another try. I will be heading to other forums and places now where people are more open minded and feel less obligated to be a bully when someone says or does something they don't like.

Also, I posted this and did not say anything when I got no replies. I did not whine, or repost, or bump the post. I did not ask for an explanation of why. I accepted that my post didn't get a response and had a few different ideas why. Now I just don't care.

Cheers AW.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think that assuming I don't know the forums just because I don't post is unfair. To be honest, Ive had an account for years (a different one before this) and have read and been on these forums many times. I am just one of those people who doesn't believe in posting unless I really have something to say that no one else has to say. And usually you guys already say what I would have said. No point in repeating the same stuff. I am also just shy.

I hate the way people here frown upon people who don't have posts. Its unfair to not be included in the community just because we are not big posters, or overly shy.

I'm sure I could boost up my posts and repeat what people have already said just for the number, but again, I am not that person.
I think your post is very rude and completely unnecessary. I don't think absolute welcomes all. Ever. I think that there are an awful lot of people who frequent this forum who think being rude or brash and abusive is the right way to act. I realize this does not include everybody, but I have often seen people completely shut down and destroyed before ever given the opportunity to do or say a thing.

And trust me, this is not just my opinion. I have met and read a variety of posts about the bullying nature behind AW.

You are entitled to your opinions, as am I. And I would be more than willing swap, which means that I would be putting in just as much time and dedication as the person who was doing the same for me, which is something I have done before.

I've chosen not the be a part of this community because I don't like it. My apologies for posting and attempting on the off chance to give it another try. I will be heading to other forums and places now where people are more open minded and feel less obligated to be a bully when someone says or does something they don't like.

Also, I posted this and did not say anything when I got no replies. I did not whine, or repost, or bump the post. I did not ask for an explanation of why. I accepted that my post didn't get a response and had a few different ideas why. Now I just don't care.

Cheers AW.

Huh? I truly do not see rudeness in any of my posts in this thread and hope you will point to the specific words you felt were rude. We take "respect your fellow writer" very seriously, and mods are not exempt from that rule.

Any time you feel someone here has been rude, brash, or abusive to you or any other member, don't hesitate to use the Report Post button, the red-outlined white triangle at the bottom left of each post. The board's moderator(s), and often the site's administrator and owner, check out every post reported. Just because the members don't see it doesn't mean action is not being taken.

I'm glad to hear you're willing to swap, but this is the first mention of reciprocation, so you must excuse us for being unaware you were willing to give as well as take.

I'm less glad to hear you've chosen not to be a part of AW because you don't like it yet were perfectly willing to use its collective expertise when it benefited you.

Maryn, with a Gallic shrug

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I think that assuming I don't know the forums just because I don't post is unfair. To be honest, Ive had an account for years (a different one before this) and have read and been on these forums many times.

If you'd PM me the email or login ID for the previous account, I can merge the accounts for you.

We don't allow multiple accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.