Do you guys have a bucket list?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I don't necessarily have a bucket list... But a fellow AWer turned me on to this thing called "101 things to do in 1001 days". The premise is simple: make a list of 101 things you want to do, and you then have 1001 days to do it in. (It's a good idea to write down the end date, or else you'll quickly lose track.)

So I have a variety of things on there. I've done something like 25 of the goals, and it's not been an entire year quite yet. But the thing I liked about it was that I had a 3-years-ish timeline to do things in, instead of the nebulous "some day". I probably won't do all of them - but it's been fun so far. :)

And *most* of the goals I made are things that I can achieve at this point in my life. Something that would take a long time - well those things aren't on this particular list, exactly.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a list. I used to. Crossed some things off. I've realized a lot of the things I'd like to do, I never will be able to do. I want to travel the world, but my husband is not a traveler, so it most likely won't happen.

Lorcroftlegacy

Registered
Reaction score
I have one, but the only thing I've crossed off is number 48: write a book.
1 down 124 to go.
The items on the list are incredibly varied. The list contains such items as:
Getting my novel published
Solving the Rubik's Cube
Attempting stand up comedy
Watching the Detroit Red Wings win the Stanley Cup
As well as a number of other things that I really don't feel like mentioning at this time.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah one more ...

see everyone on this thread have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I've never thought of having a bucket list. I'm too afraid I wouldn't accomplish anything on it.

But here are a few things I can think of off the top of my head:

Visit the Pacific coast of the US. Take a month and drive along the coastline, from SoCal to Washington state.

Or someday visit Italy and England.

Or work as a museum docent or an interpretor at a living museum (historical village)

To live more simply. Sometimes I think I'm too materialistic.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a list, but it's not really on paper anywhere. One thing I crossed off my list this summer was to get on the jumbotron at a pro sports game. My school had extra tickets to the Sparks game at Staples Center and they gave them to me. We were dancing like maniacs with our jerseys and foam fingers, so I had to work quite hard to achieve it!

Some others I hope to do in the next five years:

-bike tour through England

-my first century bike ride (I've done 96 miles so 100 miles won't be too bad!)

-one more sailing trip with my parents

-teach all my classes for a day wearing a crazy costume

-run a half marathon (and then add 'run a marathon' to my list)

-ski Whistler

-oh yeah, have my novel published I guess!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine did that and the kids (biology high school classes) loved it. So go for it!

I teach math. It has been suggested by some of my nerdier students that I might be the Mathemagician (from phantom tollbooth), which would be a great costume. I need a generic Merlin ish costume to decorate. Or I could dress up as a Pie, but that might be inconvenient.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Solving the Rubik's Cube

This one jumped out at me. I know a guy who can solve the Rubik's Cube. Apparently he learned by going on Google. There are "codes" for how to solve it. It still takes 5+ minutes, but that's the slower, easier way. Apparently there are far more complicated "codes" where you can solve it in under a minute.

So that's what I'd suggest - do some quick Googling, and write down the easier codes. I'm pretty sure to solve it without help would require a massive amount of complicated math.

:)

ETA: Maybe Kitty Pryde, our resident Mathemagician could help you with the math. :D

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
This one jumped out at me. I know a guy who can solve the Rubik's Cube. Apparently he learned by going on Google.
I've seen a few "cubing" videos - there's a guy who solves ... actually, there are many Professor videos:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Rubik's+Professor

There are "codes" for how to solve it. It still takes 5+ minutes, but that's the slower, easier way. Apparently there are far more complicated "codes" where you can solve it in under a minute.

So that's what I'd suggest - do some quick Googling, and write down the easier codes. I'm pretty sure to solve it without help would require a massive amount of complicated math.

ETA: Maybe Kitty Pryde, our resident Mathemagician could help you with the math. :D
I solved it circa 1979-1980 (when this thing was first marketed and the Cube and its spinoffs were wildly popular for a short time) after owning it for six months, and reading some hints in the Mathematical Games column in Scientific American (there was a later cover article on the Cube). The main hint is to look for "macros." A macro is a sequence of moves, usually 5 to 7, that does something - often if you do it and then do its mirror image, often rotated by 90 degrees or a multiple, you will be left with a small number (like three) of changed cubes.

Once i found a method I practiced it, and could do it in three minutes regularly. My best time was 2:30, but there were teenagers (okay, I was an old guy in my early 20s) in TV contests who could do it in 30 seconds. I don't think they had as advanced algorithms back then as exist now, they just learned to do the similar macros at blinding speeds.

I remember how to do most of it, but there's one sequence I had of about 13 moves that I don't quite remember, and that keeps me from solving it nowadays.

I might suggest NOT looking up solutions online, but trying from what I wrote above, and see if you can solve it yourself without any more hints. If you do, it'll feel like a much bigger accomplishment. :)

The "mathematics" behind the Rubik's Cube is Group Theory, but I don't think it's of much help, unless perhaps you already know it very well (named the pieces in a circle starting with a corner piece: a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h and i, - when you rotate it, the corner pieces rotate - a goes to c, which goes to e, which goes to g, which then goes to the original a's position. The side pieces rotate the similarly. But this is obvious by observation...):
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_theory

That's another thing that is/was kinda on my list, get a degree in mathematics (or more precisely, get the knowledge one would get while earning the degree), but my high school life was messed up to the point I was lucky to get into college at all, and it only offered engineering degrees. In the past ten years I read "Journey to Genius" which I think is a great book on mathematics and its history - if I had read it in high school it might have motivated me to want a math degree, but it wasn't even published until after I was out of college. I did want to do something in science, probably physics, but engineering was (almost) close enough.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
So interesting posts, guys. Way2go. Calls for par-tay :Cake:s. Xmas is almost here. I'm getting excited 'bout it :D

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Susie my dear, there is no bucket big enough for my list.

:D

Happy happy Christmas to ya, and hey, I am about to kick over 8000 posts! tee hee

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
No formal, list, really.

I've been so much of a passive observer in life, that normal things would be huge accomplishments. Fall in love with somebody who loves me, be kissed, make love, get married, have a family. Those would probably fill up my list -- and be as much as a challenge for me as "climb everest" or "land on the moon" would be for normal folk.

Valar Morghulis, Valar Dohaeris. That's all I can really expect out of life, yanno?

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Having almost kicked the bucket from a medicinal overdose when I was 33--I'll be fifty-two in a matter of days, and feel free to wish me Happy Birthday on January 1st--yeah, really!--I have no bucket list wishes, save a few.

1. Watch my kids grow up, get married, and hold my grandchildren.

2. Write a bestseller. (Yeah...riiiiiiiiiiight.) I've been published before and will be again, but I'd love to write a bestseller, have my ugly mug plastered all over the papers and online and be feted for my deeds.

Hey, a guy can dream, right?

3. Go and visit Skartaris one day, either with my family or alone. I guess that's enough.

spamwarrior

rewriting.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
acurrentundersea.wordpress.com
I do! Of sorts. On that list is graduating with my PhD (maybe this is more a life goal in general?), publishing a scholarly type book, running a review publication, and visiting England, Japan, and the West Coast of the USA.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Forgot to add something. Being issued the 'Ban Certificate' by Andre was pretty awesome, but to figure somewhere in Kelly A's sig would be just as awesome, if not awesomer. (Is that a word? If it ain't, I just inwented it!)

And with that, back to writing 'The Incredible Granny Awesomesauce'.