How do you get someone back to the future when they have no physical machine?

PaulLev

I was here 3 months from now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
PaulLevinson.net
Similar to the book Time And Again by Jack Finney. He stays in an apartment at the Dakota in NYC that was around in the late 1800s. It's decorated and stocked exactly the way it was at that time (18**. Can't remember the exact year. ) He has to also convince himself he's actually in that time period.

I always thought that the convincing yourself part made Time and Again more science fantasy than science fiction. Good novel, but mixing in the convincing weakened the science fictional premise that you could walk through time if you happened to be in a place that in all respects looked exactly as it had 100 or whatever number of years ago.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
I am not so sure that it is flawed, provided you don't need the machine to appear at exactly the right time. You write your note asking for the time machine to reappear at 12:32. Years, decades, even centuries pass and your note either does or not make it to its destination.

But from your point of view only a few moments have passed. There is nothing to stop you from trying again with another note or another means of communication.

Imagine standing outside a post-box at 12.32 precisely. You need to get a message to someone in the future to tell them to send the time machine back at 12.32. So you quickly write a letter to Bill and chuck it in the post box. If the time machine appears instantly, you made a good choice. If it doesn't you write a second letter to Ted and throw that in the post box. Wait a few seconds. If that doesn't work you send a letter to someone else ...

Now here's the bit that's frying my noddle right now. Do you have to wait for the postman to come and empty the post box? If so, why?

When you say it like that, it doesn't seem flawed at all. In terms of Bill and Ted, they actually send the messages to themselves by thinking them (Let's just tell ourselves now to send the machine back to now, and hope we don't forget) and then the machine appears. They use it on other things, such as keys and traps.

Of course if you send a message to someone, as you explained, and the machine doesn't arrive you try again. Although there is still a chance that the machine could arrive on time from a letter you haven't sent yet, which could cause a paradox (the machine arrives before the letter is sent, and if the hero jumps in the machine without sending the letter, the machine can't be there because no one could send it back because they never got the letter etc. etc.)

I do enjoy the mind-f**k that comes with time travel :p

Tempest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bloodonmytypewriter.blogspot.com
People mentioned quantum physics, but specifically you could have locations where time is "warped" due to gravitational pull or some other kind of force. You could even say these zones are pre-set by the device, along the lines of what others suggested, so that at any given time he can return to the future if he can re-enter these zones. They could be random or pre-determined.

It might introduce extra tension if your character has to find/fight his way to these locations when he needs them (if you want time-travel to be intentional).

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Don't forget the Terminator option: There is no return. You go back and you live your life.