zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh, nice cover! Congrats! I hope it does fabulously for you :)

Aquarianhelix

Registered
Reaction score
SFerics 2017 anthology was published on Amazon this week. It has six SF stories - six possible futures. Here's the introduction....

Sferics is a real word: the study of atmospherics, especially the radiolocation of lightning storms. Who could resist such a title for a science fiction anthology that illuminates possible innovations of the near future? I certainly couldn’t. But where do such stories come from?
BristolCon 2015 science fiction and fantasy convention saw me run a small workshop. I gave a report of the latest technology trends from an innovation conference from the week before and encouraged participants to develop story ideas.
The result is four short stories included in this anthology, one from a debut writer, Mike Hardwick. A further two stories were contributed by authors with similar near future science fiction interests.
Occasionally, a story’s main technical invention takes a major step towards turning into reality between the writing and the publishing. This proved to be the case for Amanda Kear’s short story. Let us hope all the good inventions in these stories appear in our lives soon!
Working on producing an anthology is a first time for me. It has been fun and, at times, scary. Above all, it has been a privilege to work with such a wonderful group of talented people. Thank you to the authors for allowing me to share their stories, Roz Clarke for editing and Andy Bigwood for the cover.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Holidays!
My short story, "A Dog of Wu," will appear in the March/April 2018 issue of The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction.
Yee-haw!

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
This past week, my publisher posted the cover reveal for my next novel, A Study in Honor.

Set in a near future Washington, D.C., A STUDY IN HONOR is a clever, incisive, and fresh feminist twist on a classic literary icon—Sherlock Holmes—in which Dr. Janet Watson and covert agent Sara Holmes will use espionage, advanced technology, and the power of deduction to unmask a murderer targeting Civil War veterans.

StudyinHonor_med.jpeg

Jenkki

Registered
Reaction score
Very pleased to announce a sale of my short story "Cold Blue Sky" to Apex Magazine, an SFWA-qualifying market. That's my third qualifying SFWA sale.

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
My flash sci-fi story "Decoy" is to appear in the Futures column of next week's issue of Nature. Still not quite sure how that happened.

Oh, also it's SFWA qualifying!

Last edited:

Aquarianhelix

Registered
Reaction score
SFerics 2017 anthology was published on Amazon this week. It has six SF stories - six possible futures. Here's the introduction....

Sferics is a real word: the study of atmospherics, especially the radiolocation of lightning storms. Who could resist such a title for a science fiction anthology that illuminates possible innovations of the near future? I certainly couldn’t. But where do such stories come from?
BristolCon 2015 science fiction and fantasy convention saw me run a small workshop. I gave a report of the latest technology trends from an innovation conference from the week before and encouraged participants to develop story ideas.
The result is four short stories included in this anthology, one from a debut writer, Mike Hardwick. A further two stories were contributed by authors with similar near future science fiction interests.
Occasionally, a story’s main technical invention takes a major step towards turning into reality between the writing and the publishing. This proved to be the case for Amanda Kear’s short story. Let us hope all the good inventions in these stories appear in our lives soon!
Working on producing an anthology is a first time for me. It has been fun and, at times, scary. Above all, it has been a privilege to work with such a wonderful group of talented people. Thank you to the authors for allowing me to share their stories, Roz Clarke for editing and Andy Bigwood for the cover.

Unbelievable, incredible, Geoff Nelder's story, Angular Size has been shortlisted for the British Science Fiction Association shorter fiction award... not bad for a first anthology!

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Flash story, "Good" in FFO online for all of July.

It was my first SFWA qualifying sale, and it snagged a mention in Booksmugglers' short fiction recommendations (X marks the story).

I've just had a second flash story accepted by them, too (literary, not speculative tho).

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
Got a two 100-word "drabbles" into an upcoming time-themed anthology Chronos by Shacklebound Books.

It still needs submissions if anyone's interested!

Last edited:

JS Emuakpor

I lurk. Therefore, I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
afrocentricbooks.com
Hey y'all! It's been a while (because promoting one's book on a limited budget is hard work!), but Publisher's Weekly was kind enough to review my novel and they liked it. In fact, they liked it so much that they gave it a pretty red star! https://www.publishersweekly.com/9781946595065. I feel like :hooray: and :snoopy:and :partyguy: and :thankyou:

The end.

Reactions: Sylphus

Aquarianhelix

Registered
Reaction score
Distaff is an anthology produced by women - it's new science fiction stories are written by women. We think that it's the only one produced like this this century! :Trophy:

It will be published on 15th August and its kindle version can now be pre-ordered on Amazon. See https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ST1KY7J/?tag=absowrit-21.

The cover was done by our own millymollymo - both she and I have stories (among many other gorgeous ones) in there!

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Hi, spec-fic friends. My flash fiction "FILTER" is up on Havok Publishing's site today! https://gohavok.com/:snoopy:

The way Havok works is that they post one flash fic a day every day. The daily story is free for the general public to read for 24-hours. If you want to read any older stories, you have to get a subscription (which is only $2-$5 depending on if you get the 90-day or year-long subscription.) I'm so excited and if any of you want to, I'd love if you'd stop by and give it a read. It's just under 1,000 words, so a nice bite-sized story.

Those who are not subscribers to Havok are free to comment on the daily story if you want, just be aware that when you click "submit comment" it will take you to the page that asks you to subscribe, but your comment goes through anyway. Just click the logo at the top of the page to get back to the homepage.

*EXCITED SQUEALING*

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations..... Fantastic to hear of success stories. I haven't heard of Havok before, I'll check them out.

BTW, hilarious avatar. Haha