• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publishing svcs] Fresh Ink Group

silver_ice9

Registered
Reaction score
Have you guys ever dealt with them? Are they a vanity press or are they (one of the few) legit subsidy presses? I'm a pretty new author and they've offered some good editing notes/have picked up on my bad writing habits. They've also told me that they are very interested in sending me a proposal to help edit/publish one of my stories as an e-book. Before I send a response, I just want to make sure I'm not responding to someone who just wants to take advantage. From what I've been able to find (and through my interactions with them), they seem OK: they're not using Google to promote themselves, they don't respond to me too quickly or urge me to "publish now" or solicit new content (except for the writing contests, obviously) and they're not listed in any of the usual rip off/caution reports. You guys ever heard anything or know anything about them?

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
They offer "Quality Self-publishing and Editing Services". Their five packages range in price from Associate's e-Book Package ($399) to Member's Package ($1,499), and they even compare their prices to those of vanity presses such as Xlibris and Trafford (http://publishing.freshinkgroup.com/comparisons).

I looked at a few FIG books on Amazon. Although I couldn't find any egregious errors, the covers are hideous and most of the 5-star reviews are by people whose other reviews are also of FIG books.

Last year FIG's Creative Director Aaron Wood had this to say about his company's short story contests:

While it is true that we do not give out prize money to the winners, we believe that the prizes we do give are excellent, especially as this contest is aimed at beginning authors seeking exposure. All prize winners get their stories published in our bi-annual anthology, which is published in both print and e-editions (the prize winners receive a free e-edition of the anthology, and can order print copies for the cost that the printer charges us, no mark-up at all). In addition, the first place winners receive a set of author pages on the Fresh Ink website (3 informational and 4 blog categories each). We also find new authors whose full length novels we would be interested in publishing through these contests, based off of the quality of their short stories.

To which someone replied:

If your idea of a great contest is a company takes your story for free and uses it any way they want, then go for it. Personally? I'm selfish. If I'm good enough to be published, then PAY me. If I want a company to give away my stories to anyone who comes along, i can do that already on any website.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130222195911AAhQ4ur

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
FIG's profile on Manta (http://www.manta.com/c/mxcpfhj/the-fresh-ink-group-llc) states that the company was founded in 2003. According to Aaron Wood their short story anthologies are published bi-annually yet I couldn't find a single one in the FIG bookshop. Does this mean that all the winners got for their stories were some pretty basic 'author's pages'?

Last edited:

silver_ice9

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys, glad to know my suspicions were justified before I committed to anything.