Confessions of a Failed Screenwriter

RCameron

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure this is the best area of AW for this, but I wrote an article which was published on a popular screenwriting website/blog called ScriptShadow.

It details my attempts to break into the world of Hollywood screenwriting and why I did not succeed. It's meant to be a learning piece so others don't make the same mistakes.

Hope some find it interesting and/or useful if they are looking into or practicing scriptwriting

Here is the link: http://scriptshadow.net/guest-article-confessions-of-a-failed-screenwriter/

Saul Rothman

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I wish you would've specified some of the "little things" that some writers do. :)

Saulisa

RCameron

Registered
Reaction score
The article does address that in a roundabout way. I think toward the end I mention that I didn't see writing skill as the hard part of the process any more. I knew I had that, but some of the things I had learned about what it takes to succeed (noting that there are no guarantees) were physically/mentally/spiritually/ beyond my grasp.

These might include living in Los Angeles, writing for the market (thrillers or action pieces with unique hooks and age appropriate characters), not behaving or speaking cynically to potential producers/managers/agents, etc., not writing on spec, and not staying too long with a rep who has you treading water.

So there is the actual writing, which I think a lot of people master after a certain amount of time. And then there are the people who are not only good writers but also good at all these other things who really break through.

bifferspice

Registered
Reaction score
i read it there, it was a great read, thanks very much for writing it.
have you totally given up then? or will you still write for pleasure, etc?
i do understand. i've written a script i'm really proud of, and am really struggling with the other side of it: writing query letters, the whole concept of "selling myself", etc. just trying to get someone to read it is a marathon. i'm in the uk, so not as concerned about the LA thing, but being rejected left right and centre before anyone even reads your script is frustrating. i have received 100% positive reviews on triggerstreet, but that's not really something i can say in my query letter, so it's just a spam from some unproduced bloke, which is just not worth their time to bother looking at. having read loads of amateur scripts myself, i understand why. so infuriating!

RCameron

Registered
Reaction score
I have not given up at all on 'writing.' Not even screenwriting really. I would like to produce my own film one day, so indy writing is still in my future. It's just trying to break into Hollywood which I've given up on.

I am currently publishing a crime novel I wrote as a serial fiction online. People can see that here: http://fiction.blastmagazine.com/

And I am at work currently on another novel. So I will never put down the pen so to speak.

I certainly know a few people from the UK who have made headway in the script game, so don't let location be the only determining factor for you. The game is frustrating for everyone, even those in the top ranks. It's a tough slog no matter where you are, so you just have to keep on doing it. Write 2-3 new specs per year if you can and keep building a contact list and keep getting them new material. You may be passed over on scripts 1-4 you send an agent but number 5 could be the one that gets you signed.

If you really want to do it, then know what you are up against and be relentless in the pursuit of it. I was not always so, which hampered my efforts.

Good luck!

bifferspice

Registered
Reaction score
great, i'll give that a read. :)

i'm just finishing up the novelisation of one of my screenplays actually - my first novel.

you're right in what you say - perseverance is key, and the enjoyment of writing is important. writing JUST to get noticed is pretty foolish. however, if you enjoy it, and keep hammering on the door, who knows?

good luck to you :)

RCameron

Registered
Reaction score
The serial novel I am publishing online was in fact a screenplay first which I then novelized. I didn't intend it to be a serial, but I pitched Blast Magazine, for which I write film and DVD reviews, and they said yes.

So you never know where an in will come from, but I think knowing what medium is best for you is key. If you know scripts aren't where it's at for you, go hard for novels.

Good luck whichever path you choose!

tcawood

Registered
Reaction score
Glad that you've not entirely given up and really interesting article.

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
The hard truth is that most struggling screenwriters shouldn't be writing screenplays. Many writers who love movies want to make the shift into screenwriting but simply don't have a knack for dramatic writing. This is a fact.

A lot of novelists adapt their books into screenplays, which didn't deserve a dramatic adaptation. Novelists are under the impression that a film adaptation of their book is the highest form of praise. Some books should simply remain books. There's nothing wrong with that. It's okay. Really.

Most screenwriters don't realize that they're not screenwriters. And just because you've written a screenplay doesn't mean you've written a screenplay. Denial can only last so long until your queries go unanswered (because your concepts suck) and your scripts are rejected.

I think the craft can be learned, and writers can get better after the eighth, ninth, tenth script. But most don't last that long - probably because they didn't want it bad enough. One writes screenplays and makes movies because there isn't anything else he can do. It's simply not a casual pursuit. Dilettantes cannot survive in the film business because there are people who want it so bad they will outwit, outplay and outlast. If your life doesn't depend on writing scripts and making films, it's not likely to happen.

If you want to make a movie. Make a movie. It's a very difficult thing to do if your plan is to make one that gets distribution and finds an audience. But it's not impossible.

I wanted to make a movie. And made one. And then another and another. All have had worldwide distribution. (I'm not claiming they were good, but I got them made.) I did it while holding down a very active full-time job and a part-time job too and even a wife and child. There can be no excuses for something you desperately want to achieve. You'll always make the time and find the way for things you must accomplish.

Hollywood is a town of perpetual motion. And the arts is about action. Only doers survive in the world of film-making.

Last edited:

whatsupbuttercup

Registered
Reaction score
If you want to make a movie. Make a movie. It's a very difficult thing to do if your plan is to make one that gets distribution and finds an audience. But it's not impossible.

I wanted to make a movie. And made one. And then another and another. All have had worldwide distribution. (I'm not claiming they were good, but I got them made.) I did it while holding down a very active full-time job and a part-time job too and even a wife and child. There can be no excuses for something you desperately want to achieve. You'll always make the time and find the way for things you must accomplish.

Hollywood is a town of perpetual motion. And the arts is about action. Only doers survive in the world of film-making.

I'm quoting this part because I think this is the advice most screenwriters/writers need to hear. And because it's ridiculously good advice. I was one of the people who had romantic notions of how successful I could be by that one screenplay that is just so fantastic it'll find an audience and just take off. And then I realized how ridiculous I was being.

I have friends who write like I do, I have friends who are better at working a camera than I am, and I have friends who know what makes a better shot to make something visually stunning. But because I have these friends I know that I'm in a better place to just start creating films than staying at home wondering how great I'll be once someone reads my great script. It's a great thought but highly unlikely to happen to someone like me. So instead I'm doing what I love and making movies because I can. And I'm working to save up more money for better equipment, etc. That all affords me the chance of entering to film festivals and seeing what happens because who knows? At least I got the experience of having my script come to life.

Do it because you love it and you cannot live without it. Don't do it expecting overnight success. You're better off trying to make a name for yourself by being proactive than taking a path filled with what if's. It's easy for writers to get passive and think eventually success will come. I wish more writers (some who I know and went to college with) would realize you're better off taking a leap of faith and just start doing what you love instead of someone else doing it for you.

Also, because I love looking up how writer/directors got started, look up Edward Burns, David O. Russell, Tarantino, Kevin Smith, Steven Soderbergh among other directors/writers. Most of them got their start by making their own films and submitting it to Sundance. It's worth a shot starting to create your own visions and works and seeing where that can lead.

RCameron

Registered
Reaction score
I would echo the last two comments. Hollywood screenwriting is only one facet of the film industry. If you are passionate about movies you can make one. Or even a short. I also intend to produce or finance an indy film one day, so screenwriting per se is not over for me. Just reassessing where I want to go next and knowing that one path is not right for me at this juncture in my life/career.

RCameron

Registered
Reaction score
I saw this link (at end of post). Tasha was a student when I was teaching film/screenwriting at Boston University. She was never directly a student of mine, but I knew her and liked her writing a lot.

She did it the right way. Moved to LA, worked in town, made contacts and got to know the industry, kept writing and showing her work, and now she's gotten her break. No guarantee it will result in a long career, but's she taken the first big step: http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/war...leads-to-script-deal-for-universal-assistant/

TJCory

Scruffy Looking Scoundrel
Registered
Reaction score
That's a great article! I actually saw it a few months back while attending Full Sail's Master's program. Very informative! Thanks for sharing!

jrowland

Registered
Reaction score
I recently came upon this article outlining 3 different paths you can take to get your movie made: http://www.filmmakingstuff.com/3-ways-how-to-become-a-filmmaker/

It's definitely not easy and takes a lot of dedication (and falling into the right situation at the right time), but it's nice to know there's more than one way to do it. This link definitely puts it in simple terms, but I think the point is you have to start somewhere. All in all, dreaming and waiting doesn't work--you gotta do the work!