Revise and resubmit on a partial

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
Hey dear people, I've gotten some interest from an agent and I'm eager to get it back to her before Christmas swallows the entire world. However, the R&R was given on a partial. Does that mean I send the revised partial or the entire manuscript? The email stated: "Should you significantly revise the manuscript per the notes above, I'd be more than happy to take a second look."

Thanks for the help!

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Well, the easiest thing to do would be to revise just the partial. However, if you revised the partial and she asked for more, it might be annoying to then have to power through revising the rest of the manuscript.

It all depends on what you think about the agent's revision suggestions. Would you do them anyway? Or are you just doing them to get represented? If the former, then revise away. If the latter, are you sure you want this agent?

Lastly, there's the fact that R&Rs aren't a guarantee of anything, so all that revision work might be "wasted" anyway.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
I'm revising the entire thing, although it was mostly the first couple of chapters that had me worried. The points she brought up resonated with me. This is a very nice agent that I'd be thrilled to work with, so, all in all it's positive thing.

You're right about it not working. That does worry me quite a bit—that she'll like the revised first chapters, but hate the rest. If she does, at least I have a better manuscript for the next agent.

Thanks for your thoughts on this! I appreciate the questions and wisdom.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, this is wonderful news, very hopeful! :)

I would send the whole thing.