How do I pitch an idea to a mag?

oryfan

Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me if the answer to this is rather obvious as I'm just getting my feet wet. Have any of you ever pitched an idea to an editor (I assume that's who I'd send it to) about adding a section to their magazine? For instance, lots of children's magazines have the usual sections - puzzles, recipes, poems, stories, etc. I had an idea for a section for a children's magazine, but I'm not sure how to go about pitching it or who to pitch it to. Anyone have any advice to offer?

Steph

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You can pitch articles to a magazine, but I don't think you'll get listened to if you pitch the idea for a whole new section: that's up to the people who run the magazine, and who take care of its business.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I once pitched a series of articles geared toward children to an adult outdoor magazine. They thought it a cute and clever way to introduce kids to fishing. But I didn't push it as a section (although it became one). Instead, I pitched just the first article, of filler length, and said I had ideas for others. They bought all twelve as a single package, and a section was born. :)

oryfan

Registered
Reaction score
I figured as much old hack. Thanks Cathy. I think I'll take that approach.