Status
Not open for further replies.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I'm closing in on the end of a long horror tale involving five characters - one of whom is gay - and I've just realised the fact that he's gay isn't a major plot point. No reason it has to be, of course, but something about it doesn't sit right with me and I'm not sure what it is. I'm feeling something along the lines of when a gay character features in fiction, their being gay plays a larger part in the story than I'm exploring in my tale. Does that make sense? In my case, I don't want his being gay to be any more of an issue than the hetro characters being hetro. There's no time for romantic relationships (too much running around and screaming and violence) although my gay man does form a very close friendship with a teenage girl. Basically, his being gay is more important to the character than the plot.

If the book has a theme, it's along the lines of people who seem to have nothing in common come together in life or death situations. So am I overthinking it or is the sexuality of my character a non-issue?

Rina Evans

Registered
Reaction score
You're overthinking it. There's no reason why he needs a 'gay issue' at all. If he's gay and people talk about relationships and sex and it happens to be mentioned, great!

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
You're overthinking it. There's no reason why he needs a 'gay issue' at all. If he's gay and people talk about relationships and sex and it happens to be mentioned, great!

Cool. So far (as in up to the current draft), there's not much discussion of relationships in that context although the teenage girl does make a move on him, not realising he's gay. He confides in her which forms part of the basis for their connection.

I'll keep things as they are. Thanks for the thoughts.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
To be honest, I want to see more fiction where people *happen* to be LGTBQA, you know? It shouldn't be hidden, or coded, it should be as open and obvious as straightness tends to be, but there doesn't need to be subplot actively relating to his gayness.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
To be honest, I want to see more fiction where people *happen* to be LGTBQA, you know?

This.

OP, is it "important to the plot" that your straight characters are straight? A lot of people seem to treat straight as the "default" and consider making a character to be gay to be a choice that need justification, rather than considering it a coin flip of, "this char happens to be straight, this char happens to be gay, it'll make a difference to the plot if it happens to make a difference and if it doesn't it doesn't."

I'd rather see sexual orientation treated as a coin flip rather than something one needs a reason for. And if one considers that a reason is needed, then I'd like to see that logic applied to straight characters as well -- if queer characters need a reason to be queer, then hetero characters should need a reason to be hetero. There is no default humanity.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
It's a non-issue. If it isn't important that a character is gay, then don't treat it as important, and your readers won't expect it to be important.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
It is common for gay characters' sexuality to feature prominently in the plot, but this is partly a consequence of the lack of the dearth of gay characters in film and literature, and the attitude that any non-straight sexuality will stand out and have to be explained or justified in some way. And it can be annoying when an author makes a big deal about a character's sexuality when it isn't needed.

I love writing queer lit sometimes, but it would be great to have more non-queer novels casually feature LGBT characters without making a big deal about it.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I'd agree with the other posters who say you're overthinking it. If his being gay is of prime importance to the plot, then have at it, but if he just happens to be gay and it has nothing to do with the outcome of the story, why make a big deal of it?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm feeling something along the lines of when a gay character features in fiction, their being gay plays a larger part in the story than I'm exploring in my tale. Does that make sense? In my case, I don't want his being gay to be any more of an issue than the hetro characters being hetro.

I will qualify this by saying that I am straight myself, so there are people who are better able to chime in on the whole thing. In my current novels, one of the pov characters is gay. It's not a big deal, but I don't hide his orientation from the reader either. It's just a part of who he is.

I've run across people on writing sites ask why a character would "need" to be gay at all in this situation (or why I would need to let them know that he is). This sort of drives me nuts, and I answer by asking, "Why does a character need to be straight if it's not what the story is 'about?'"

They usually answer by muttering something about how they don't want to know what any character does in bed. If this is true, they won't like anything I write, because I do include sex (not graphic, but it's there) and thoughts about attraction in my stories, when relevant. And of course, they're also making the mistake of assuming that you can know what someone does in bed just from someone's orientation, and that orientation is just about what you do in bed.

Last edited:

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
To be honest, I want to see more fiction where people *happen* to be LGTBQA, you know? It shouldn't be hidden, or coded, it should be as open and obvious as straightness tends to be, but there doesn't need to be subplot actively relating to his gayness.

The character happening to be gay just sort of came along. I don't think at any point over the last few drafts have I thought about a subplot involving his gayness. As far as I was concerned, it was there and no big deal.

It is common for gay characters' sexuality to feature prominently in the plot, but this is partly a consequence of the lack of the dearth of gay characters in film and literature, and the attitude that any non-straight sexuality will stand out and have to be explained or justified in some way. And it can be annoying when an author makes a big deal about a character's sexuality when it isn't needed.

The more I think about it, the more I think that's where my niggle came wrong. Most of the stuff I've read or watched involving a gay character, their sexuality is shown as a big deal. Without really considering it, I wanted my gay guy to, for want of a better term, to just be gay.

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.