• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Library Tales Publishing Group

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
They say they'll pay an advance to more established authors. Other than that, I don't hear any specifics on royalty rates or anything.

http://www.librarytalespublishing.com/

covers are good. They have FAQ page to answer more questions an author would have.

I've seen worse. 10 year contract term, though. And If not mistaken, they have a "Publishing Partnership" arm to the company that I believe might be fee-based. I haven't read the rest of the site.

tri

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Well they don't say they charge authors anything, but the long term contract is a bit on the long side.

From their FAQ page:

"How much does it cost to get published with Library Tales Publishing? We do not charge our authors any upfront fees for publishing their work."

Just says "no upfront fees" not "never charges fees" ya know? So maybe you're right, maybe they charge down the road or something. But I'm not sure why they would offer advances to the seasoned authors then. Wouldn't all that cancel itself out? Maybe because the way it's worded.

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen other publishing companies ask these type of questions, but this one's a bit much. I know I'll have to do some marketing, but you're right Iron, it looks like it leans pretty heavy on the author.

Believeable1

Registered
Reaction score
Recently retired, I wrote a book, finishing in April. I then began looking into the publishing world, discovering the deep and dangerous morass revealed by AW, Predators and Editors, and Writer Beware, all of which I've been reading for months. Now with P&E going off-line, I've just joined AW. Has anyone had any relatively recent experience with Library Tales Publishing? This thread has five comments, all posted on the same day, now over three years ago. Their six-page Author Questionnaire leaning heavily on the author's marketing, publicity, and promotional experience makes me extremely dubious as to their reliability in acting as a reputable publisher should. I've looked at Undercovered's blog lists above, and have found them very encouraging. All comments would be very much appreciated. Sorry for the lengthy comment -- it's my first ...

cllcl

Jai guru deva om
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any relatively recent experience with Library Tales Publishing? This thread has five comments, all posted on the same day, now over three years ago. Their six-page Author Questionnaire leaning heavily on the author's marketing, publicity, and promotional experience makes me extremely dubious as to their reliability in acting as a reputable publisher should....

Hi Believable1 and anyone stumbling upon this,

A close author friend I work with published with this publisher and had a few things to report on the experience. I don't know the specific details of their contract but do know this: no editing, poor cover design, poor formatting, poor communication, no marketing support, limited distribution channels (POD and Kindle only), and a buyout was requested upon termination. I figured I'd report this here since AW is the place to go for this type of insight.

It is increasingly necessary to keenly understand self-marketing, as even the big 5/6 shelve authors who aren't facilitating a full fan experience (i.e. social engagement, dynamic changing website and content). It's also super important to self-proof edited product before green-lighting. But there are basic things even a one man/woman press should have underfoot: a fairly experienced editor and cover artist, a reliable formatting solution, general distribution (not necessarily a 'distributor' but good visibility options), and co-promotion/marketing wherewithal...among other things.

There are small presses out there that are basically a vanity press without having to pay upfront, which many starting authors choose simply to avoid the stigma of self-publishing, and with self-marketing, this can be worked. It's better for a publisher to do nothing than to hold an author back, employing the aforementioned setbacks.

Last edited: