Status
Not open for further replies.

mcsolas

Aspiring writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
powerfoodkitchen.com
Just finished the 1st edition of my cookbook. Working now to finalize the cover for the specs on createspace. I am reading their pdf submission specification document and am wondering about where they mention ISBN's. It says you can buy a custom universal ISBN which has to do with 'keeping your distribution and publishing options open'. I read up on this and dont think I need it. It appears that the free option will work for me. I am planning on selling this edition of the book only until I release a much more expanded edition next year. From what I understand, the ISBN changes with each edition, thus I would be pulling the first edition offline sometime next year.

My first goal is to allow people to order books in print as soon as possible. This is the main reason I am planning to publish through CS.

Secondly, I want to get the ebook for sale in as many places as possible. I saw in another recent thread that CS offers expanded distribution for free. This seems to help you get it into the BN online store.

CS also seems to be able to help you distribute to kindle, via the KDP but I am not quite sure how this program works.

Then there is the other stores such as the itunes store. For this I have been seeing that smashwords is one of the ebook publishers that helps you do this.

CS appears to be non-exclusive in that by publishing through them I can also make use of smashwords and possibly other ebook distribution channels. At this time, I have no other interest in print distribution, I think the ability to order the book online is enough for me, at least until the 2nd edition comes out.

Will the free ISBN from CS be good enough for my current needs?

If you have any advice for me, please let me know :) I may be uploading the book tomorrow.

Last edited:

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
You'll need different ISBN's for print and ebook editions. Createspace will give you a free ISBN for the print edition. You can get a free ISBN for the ebook if you go via Smashwords. Smashwords will distribute the ebook to B&N, Sony, iTunes, Kobo and others. They will not distribute to Amazon for Kindle. You can do that yourself via Amazon KDP.

mcsolas

Aspiring writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
powerfoodkitchen.com
Thanks. Its been a lot of information to sort through, especially while I was also finishing the book.

Edit:
You'll need different ISBN's for print and ebook editions. Createspace will give you a free ISBN for the print edition. You can get a free ISBN for the ebook if you go via Smashwords. Smashwords will distribute the ebook to B&N, Sony, iTunes, Kobo and others. They will not distribute to Amazon for Kindle. You can do that yourself via Amazon KDP.
This post appeared after had I loaded the page a few minutes ago. Thanks for explaining more about smashwords.

One thing I notice is that with the expanded distribution via CS, there seems to be some overlap in relation to the B&N store. How does that work if you already have it in there, can you opt out of that store on smashwords or vise versa?

Last edited:

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Is Createspace distributing the print book or the ebook or both? Smashwords will only distribute the ebook, but you can opt out of any channels you want, to avoid duplication.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[...] I am planning on selling this edition of the book only until I release a much more expanded edition next year.

I could understand if you want to release a second book, but intentionally self-publishing a book that you know you are going to have to update--sounds wrong to me. Would you be better off waiting until the book is finished, because it's not finished at the moment.

My first goal is to allow people to order books in print as soon as possible. This is the main reason I am planning to publish through CS.

You want as many people as possible to buy your incomplete book?

Secondly, I want to get the ebook for sale in as many places as possible. I saw in another recent thread that CS offers expanded distribution for free. This seems to help you get it into the BN online store.

Createspace only deal with paperbacks. There is the option on at the end of their processes to transfer the book date to KDP easily. But, your eBook would be sold through KDP then and not Createspace. (Createspace and KDP are both under Amazon)

CS also seems to be able to help you distribute to kindle, via the KDP but I am not quite sure how this program works.

Then there is the other stores such as the itunes store. For this I have been seeing that smashwords is one of the ebook publishers that helps you do this.

Smashwords for everything except Amazon, KDP for that.

Will the free ISBN from CS be good enough for my current needs?

Yes, I think so.
If you have any advice for me, please let me know :) I may be uploading the book tomorrow.

Unless there is some part of the book that the world has to see immediately, I'd hold off and finish the book first. If you go ahead with publishing the first edition, I wish you the best of luck.

Alice Xavier

some goon from the internet
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alicexavier.com
I could understand if you want to release a second book, but intentionally self-publishing a book that you know you are going to have to update--sounds wrong to me. Would you be better off waiting until the book is finished, because it's not finished at the moment.

Though there is a difference between an incomplete book vs complete book and a regular edition vs an expanded edition. If the OP publishes that expanded edition later, it'd probably be a good idea to label/promote it as a new and different edition.

With ebooks, though, releasing a regular version and updating it to the expanded edition would be easy - people who've already bought it will be entitled to the newer version, and if you make Amazon aware that you've made substantive changes to your book, they will email those who've already purchased the book and let them know that there's a new version to download.

It'd be tougher with a print edition though - buyers of the original print edition would be SOL. Maybe hold off on the print edition until later?

ScribeLady

Registered
Reaction score

Doesn't Amazon give you a free ISBN FOR Kindle? Or do you have to buy a separate ISBN?

SCRIBELADY

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Amazon gives you an ASIN specifically for their use.

CreateSpace is for paperback books (although, as noted, they will convert your CS book to a Kindle version). Expanded distribution is now free and will make your book available at Barnes & Noble and other online sales channels. CS is an Amazon company and they include titles at Amazon automatically.

Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) will get your ebook listed at Amazon. Smashwords distributes to Barnes & Noble, Apple's iBookstore, Sony, Diesel, Kobo and more. You can choose to opt out of any sales channel they distribute to.

mcsolas

Aspiring writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
powerfoodkitchen.com
The book is published. CS approved it last night and I have already ordered the first 50 copies. I have a rather extensive selection of people who are awaiting this book as I ran a restaurant for several years and frequently host people on all inclusive retreats. Amongst many I am already seen as a thought leader on the subject matter. there is quite a list of people waiting to get their hands on my recipes and read more on what I have to say on the subject of health foods/healthy living. Its a little more than just a cookbook, I am generalizing when I refer to it as one.
Though there is a difference between an incomplete book vs complete book and a regular edition vs an expanded edition. If the OP publishes that expanded edition later, it'd probably be a good idea to label/promote it as a new and different edition.
Your post and the previous one from Spell-it-out have been good food for thought. Thank you for your thoughts on the matter.

I just want to mention, the book is a complete statement and reads through to my satisfaction. Initial feedback is also very positive. Books in this genre often have updates. I would be very clear about it being an updated version. Right now, the 2nd edition is largely dependent on how the 1st edition works out for me. I will cross that bridge when it comes and do my best to keep people happy. I have a few ideas, such as offering the purchasers a digital edition of the new book.
With ebooks, though, releasing a regular version and updating it to the expanded edition would be easy - people who've already bought it will be entitled to the newer version, and if you make Amazon aware that you've made substantive changes to your book, they will email those who've already purchased the book and let them know that there's a new version to download.
This is a good idea, I would be very happy to provide existing ebook buyers with the 2nd edition for free. If there is existing mechanisms in place to assist with this process, all the better. I had to set a higher cover price than I expected on CS, so I am realizing more and more that the ebook sales is where I am going to focus a lot of attention.

--
merrihiatt - Thank you for adding to the discussion. The ebook / ASIN information is nice to know since I was asking about ISBN #'s, this is a very relevant addition to this thread.

--
In regards to the B&N store. If CS only does print, when it says that is sells on the B&N store, it is in reference to fulfilling the print book orders?

Then, smashwords in relation to that store, helps you with the ebook/nook sales? If so, I guess there is not really overlap. Just trying to better understand how that part of the process works.

Last edited:

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
In regards to the B&N store. If CS only does print, when it says that is sells on the B&N store, it is in reference to fulfilling the print book orders?

Then, smashwords in relation to that store, helps you with the ebook/nook sales? If so, I guess there is not really overlap. Just trying to better understand how that part of the process works.

Yes, CS will get the print book listed in the B&N online store (I don't remember if you need expanded distribution for this, but it's free now).

The Nook version is up to you; some people have recommended Smashwords but I prefer Draft2Digital (D2D) for everything outside of Amazon/KDP. You can, of course, upload directly to Nook Press if you prefer.

Last edited:

mcsolas

Aspiring writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
powerfoodkitchen.com
Yes, CS will get the print book listed in the B&N online store (I don't remember if you need expanded distribution for this, but it's free now).

The Nook version is up to you; some people have recommended Smashwords but I prefer Draft2Digital (D2D) for everything outside of Amazon/KDP. You can, of course, upload directly to Nook Press if you prefer.
Expanded distribution is what covers B&N on CS and yes its now free, so its just a matter of selecting that option. I have not yet finished configuring this aspect of CS though, I am writing my book description right now.

Thanks for posting the D2D service. Took a look at their site, sounds like its a newer business but looks promising. Why do you prefer them? The only main deciding factors I can think of comparing the services on right now are TOS and payout schedule. I will be looking into that more soon.

Last edited:

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Thanks for posting the D2D service. Took a look at their site, sounds like its a newer business but looks promising. Why do you prefer them? The only main deciding factors I can think of comparing the services on right now are TOS and payout schedule. I will be looking into that more soon.

I've never used Smashwords, so I have no direct experience with them. However, everyone I know who has used them complains about how long they take to make changes, get payments out, and post reports. D2D has been very quick with these in my experience.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I've never used Smashwords, so I have no direct experience with them. However, everyone I know who has used them complains about how long they take to make changes, get payments out, and post reports. D2D has been very quick with these in my experience.

It may take a long time compared to other sales channels, but I really like Smashwords. Getting paid quarterly is fine. Reports from B&N post regularly, as well as Apple and Kobo. Others are slower. I don't make a lot of changes to my books, or maybe that would bother me. So, here is one person you know who loves Smashwords!

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Expanded distribution is what covers B&N on CS and yes its now free, so its just a matter of selecting that option.

The Expanded Distribution IS free now. BUT the minimum price for your book must go up. My $9.99 books would have to be $3.00 more. I chose to use ED for some books, not for others, for this reason.

Also, don’t be surprised if B&N sells your book for a “reduced price” of about a half to a full dollar. OR if other online sellers list it for higher prices. My $9.99 book was selling for almost a year for $38.00! (I didn’t mind; CS paid me the same royalty I wanted for each copy.)

As for ebook pricing, that is up to you. I set mine to about one-third of the print price. However, going from print to ebook can be a time-consuming process so the price for the ebook may be closer to the print edition price.

Why is that? If you have lots of images and other special formatting those items have to be planned for the ebook readers. There’s both an art and a science to “digital typesetting” that differs for print typesetting. You may be better off paying an expert “digital typesetter” to do that rather than depend on automated conversion of your “pbook” to ebook formats.

Medievalist? I seem to recall you have a background in typesetting. Care to comment?

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
So, here is one person you know who loves Smashwords!

Good to know! They still have the most channels for distribution, so that's something else to consider.

However, going from print to ebook can be a time-consuming process so the price for the ebook may be closer to the print edition price.

Why is that? If you have lots of images and other special formatting those items have to be planned for the ebook readers. There’s both an art and a science to “digital typesetting” that differs for print typesetting. You may be better off paying an expert “digital typesetter” to do that rather than depend on automated conversion of your “pbook” to ebook formats.

I would never trust an automated process that converts a PDF to any e-book format. Formatting e-books, even those with lots of images, isn't difficult if you know (X)HTML and CSS. If not, you may be better off hiring a professional.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Formatting e-books, even those with lots of images, isn't difficult if you know (X)HTML and CSS.

I have to disagree. There is more to typesetting a digital book than merely converting it to HTML and CSS and all the other technical stuff. That is a technical process. Which I understand from intimate experience over a period of two decades.

But there is also an art to converting a book to a readable ebook. For one, readers can tailor their reading experience in many ways: different fonts, different font sizes, portrait or landscape orientation, and more. The problem is multiplied when images are included. Ditto tables. There are some oft-used practices for how to do this, but you have to learn and understand them first and using them skillfully. There are few formulas that work for all books.

Then there are artistic issues. These are not just methods of prettification. An author may not understand how color and texture affect meaning, and the kinds of lines or empty spaces which can lead the eye easily from location to location – or make reading an eye-straining chore. A skilled artisan/artist does understand them.

Some of this material carries over from typesetting printed material. Some does not. Ideally the two should be designed together and complement each other if someone wants to publish both digitally and in print.

Sorry. Long way from an ISBN question! But threads do meander to some interesting places sometimes.

Last edited:

mcsolas

Aspiring writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
powerfoodkitchen.com
It has been a busy few days. My delay in responding is only because I was finishing the last of a long series of time related matters prepping for my book launch. The last of them is out of the way.
The Expanded Distribution IS free now. BUT the minimum price for your book must go up. My $9.99 books would have to be $3.00 more. I chose to use ED for some books, not for others, for this reason.

Also, don’t be surprised if B&N sells your book for a “reduced price” of about a half to a full dollar. OR if other online sellers list it for higher prices. My $9.99 book was selling for almost a year for $38.00! (I didn’t mind; CS paid me the same royalty I wanted for each copy.)
This is really good to know. I may disable expanded distribution and try to lower the list price. Its a full color book and they made me set it minimum at $19.98 which was about 5 more than I had planned to get the ball rolling.
As for ebook pricing, that is up to you. I set mine to about one-third of the print price.
Makes sense to me. I was thinking to offer it at $4.99 initially to see if people respond to that price. So that is inline with what you are saying here. I have not yet formatted the ebook version yet. I hit my goal to have the book ready for the holidays. My next goal is to have the ebook online by the beginning of the year.
I have to disagree. There is more to typesetting a digital book than merely converting it to HTML and CSS and all the other technical stuff. That is a technical process. Which I understand from intimate experience over a period of two decades.

But there is also an art to converting a book to a readable ebook. For one, readers can tailor their reading experience in many ways: different fonts, different font sizes, portrait or landscape orientation, and more. The problem is multiplied when images are included. Ditto tables. There are some oft-used practices for how to do this, but you have to learn and understand them first and using them skillfully. There are few formulas that work for all books.

Then there are artistic issues. These are not just methods of prettification. An author may not understand how color and texture affect meaning, and the kinds of lines or empty spaces which can lead the eye easily from location to location – or make reading an eye-straining chore. A skilled artisan/artist does understand them.

Some of this material carries over from typesetting printed material. Some does not. Ideally the two should be designed together and complement each other if someone wants to publish both digitally and in print.

Sorry. Long way from an ISBN question! But threads do meander to some interesting places sometimes.
While we may have gone OT a bit, I must say this has been an informative thread. its quite relevant to my situation at the moment at well since I just published and now am thinking about how to convert my work into ebook format.

I subscribe to the creative cloud, so I have access those apps, maybe there is something useful in there. During this project I taught myself InDesign. this is the current format my book is in and what I used to export my pdf to upload. I also have a pretty solid background in web design. I want to try and handle this myself. I also have plans to help a few other people publish, write future books & possibly update this project as well. So I feel, its going to be another worthwhile skill to bring online.

Given where I am at, what tools would be good for me to look into as far as converting to ebook format?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.