What software is best for self publishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary-ellen D

Registered
Reaction score
I first started using Open Office to write. I am finding it does not have the best spell/grammar check nor the formatting for pages/header etc that Word does. I was considering investing in Word and I found MS Publisher. It has mixed reviews. I liked that I can do pictures in it because I can make my own book cover.

Any ideas on MS Publisher or any other software that would be best for Novel writing with perhaps a combination for making Book Covers?

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
I first started using Open Office to write. I am finding it does not have the best spell/grammar check nor the formatting for pages/header etc that Word does. I was considering investing in Word and I found MS Publisher.

Publisher is good for newsletters, posters, etc.

I've always picked up used copies of Microsoft Office from traceable sources, ie, it comes with a license. Some large companies buy thousands of copies of new software from time to time, and wholesale the old copies on the used market.

Ebay is a place to start, but do your checking to make sure it's a reputable source. I use a copy of Office 2000 that works fine on Windows 7. I have no need for a newer word processor. Ordinary writing doesn't demand the silly frills that have to be included to force people to buy newer editions.

I do covers on a copy of Paintshop Pro, an affordable graphics program that does everyrthing you need to make a book cover from royalty-free photographs or original artwork.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
This thread might get moved to our Self Publishing room in due course, but in the meantime do have a look round there and see what people are using: I'd hate for you to spend your money on something which isn't going to be the best thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.