Kendrick Johnson Case Weirdness Grows

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
For those who don't remember, Kendrick Johnson died in a suburban AlabamaAtlanta, GA high school. His body was discovered in a rolled up gym mat, face down. Police ruled it an accident. He was reaching for his shoe, they said, got stuck, and suffocated.

Now, there have been all kinds of problems with how this was handled. I'm not going to go over all that stuff again.

But I find myself flabbergasted that NOW, after supporting this claim, after releasing Kendrick's body, apparently without his organs and with newspaper stuffed in their place, now the coroner has bad things to say about how police handled this. In this report from CNN, the coroner says:
"I was not notifedi n (sic) this death until 15:45 hours. The investigative climate was very poor to worse when I arrived on the scene. The body had been noticably (sic) moved. The scene had been compromised and there was no cooperation from law enforcement at the scene. Furthermore the integrity of the evidence bag was compromised on January 13, 2013 by opening the sealed bag and exhibiting the dead body to his father," wrote Lowndes County Coroner Bill Watson in a report dated January 22.

"I do not approve of the manner this case was handled. Not only was the scene compromised, the body was moved. The integrrety (sic) was breached by opening a sealed body bag, information necessary for my lawful investigation was withheld," he said.

As the investigating officer, why was this not brought up back in January? I suppose I don't know for sure that he did anything wrong. I suppose a reported dated January 22, 2013, means that he tried to take the high road here.

But I also think the whole damn system involved in this case saw only what it wanted to see, and (perhaps literally) threw anything away that didn't fit.

In other words, they covered it up.

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't disagree with anything as posted, but it happened in Valdosta GA. The only reason I noticed is because I lived there decades ago.

It does sound fishy.

MM

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Higher level Georgia authorities, and I believe Federal also, have been involved in the case recently, as the family has pushed relentlessly to have the matter investigated properly. As it clearly was not done initially.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard about this story off and on in the Atlanta news for weeks, perhaps months. The "official" story seems dodgy from the start - there's such a thing as a freak death, but the explanation doesn't pass muster for me - foul play (and a subsequent cover-up) seems like a much more likely explanation.

Looking for gym mat on the local Atlanta radio stations website brings up many stories about the situation:
http://www.wsbradio.com/search/?q=gym+mat

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry, guys. And it looks like I need a new keyboard. Missing letters all over the place. I thought it was Atlanta, and then I found a Lowndes County in Alabama.

It's been so weird. Are the authorities at all embarrassed by how this makes them look? And the videos that CNN got. The one camera that looked at the gym mats where Kendrick was found, that one camera is misaligned and blurry? Nevermind all the time travelling that seems to be going on in the other videos.

Wow. Just... wow.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Wrestling mats do not accidentally get rolled up. That is beyond the laws of physics.

zerosystem

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but given how the cops have investigated this case, it seems to me that either they don't care about solving this case for whatever reason (perhaps there has been history between Johnson and the cops in the past) or that they know what happened and are covering it up. Either way, the parents of Kendrick Johnson's deserve to know what happened to their son and those responsible need to be punished.