Agents switching agencies

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Probably because I'm on twitter and follow a lot of agents there, I've seen a lot of agents moving to new agencies or starting new ones. I'm sure some sticky situations can come out of these, but mostly they're usually a good thing. Have you had experiences with agents moving? Whether as a client or just being on submission? I'm just curious, really.

My current experience: I got an email today from an agent who recently requested my partial letting me know she moved to a new agency (I appreciate that she let me know so promptly). It's good news. But of course, because it's me, aka the queen of odd circumstances, there is another agent at that agency with the full of that MS. I've already emailed the agent to let her know, so we'll see what happens from here. I'm just waiting to hear back, nothing really to be done, just wondering if anyone else has dealt with the change of agency thing.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
When agents change agencies it shouldn't affect their clients much: all that will happen is they'll continue to get royalty statements for existing deals from the old agency, if their contract was with the agency rather than the agent, and they'll get royalty statements from the new agency once new deals are made.

There shouldn't be any significant changes apart from that, for old or new clients.

I can see how it could be problematical for writers on submission with the two agencies concerned, though, so it is worth letting the agents know what's going on.