how am I supposed to write humor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

didi768

Registered
Reaction score
I am naturally quick witted, so much so that when I once took an acting class, the students said I was in the wrong class, that improv was my thing. So I like to write humor flash fiction for the most part.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Somerset Maugham wrote a short story about a character named Jane who had a great reputation for wit and humor in London's high society. In the end Jane confesses that she never thought what she said was funny. All of her life she told the truth, not maliciously, not whimsically, just the plain flat truth, unvarnished and in as few words as possible. It came as a great shock to her when people laughed. When you think about it, many of the wittiest remarks are simply the truth put forth in a novel way.

The story is called Jane. Nobody much reads Maugham anymore but it is priceless. --s6

Last edited:

Booklover199

Registered
Reaction score
When you're out in your daily life and you (or someone with you) does or says something that is funny, make note of it. Then when you go to write, include that, but elaborate on it. That's where most humor comes from, personal experience.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
If you're aiming for sarcasm, do not direct it at a person, even oneself. That's when it gets mean (at others)/pathetic (at yourself). Direct it at a situation.

Last edited:

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
Just relax and be yourself. What do you find funny? Look at what you've written and think "What can I do that will make me find this funny?"

Vladimir Grimmasi

Registered
Reaction score
You could read books that are well known for their humor or start watching stand up comedians. Plenty of comedian videos on youtube :)

Elf474

Banned
Reaction score
Seriously, I don't know! I'm not usually witty on my feet anyway, so how am I supposed to make my MC funny, sarcastic and likeable?
Any ideas?

I find it's best to focus on a theme. Narrow down your options and then see what you can do. I've published two books containing hundreds of lesbian fairy tale jokes.

Princess: What's the difference between a straight princess and a lesbian princess?
Other Princess: In my experience, three drinks and a back rub.

Peter Pan: Tiger Lily, would you like to do something with me tonight?
Princess Tiger Lily: I'm sorry Peter, I can't. Tinkerbell, the mermaids and I are eating out.
Peter: What are you eating?
Tiger Lily: We're having Wendy's.

VOTE_BOT

Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein
Registered
Reaction score
Pardon the interruption, but...

Hello, my name is VOTE_BOT. I am an ambassador of good will and champion of the democratic process. I am also a sex machine.

Please be reminded of the following:

Twenty-six poets from the Absolute Write community have contributed verse for an AW Poetry Contest with the theme of "space."

We would love for you to read them and, from August 20th to September 2nd, cast your votes.

Read the poems here (password: citrus)

All the nitty-gritty contest details can be found here.

A wacky discussion thread is rapidly barreling over an impending cliff here.

If you've read this far, you now get a nifty bit of humor-writing wisdom for your trouble.

“The wit makes fun of other persons; the satirist makes fun of the world; the humorist makes fun of himself, but in so doing, he identifies himself with people – that is, people everywhere, not for the purpose of taking them apart, but simply revealing their true nature.” ― James Thurber

Manss

Registered
Reaction score
Writing humor needs specialty but you can start from a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.