The Kingfisher Has Landed

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's great to hear things are still moving along for you. It's nice self-publishing is contributing to your monthly budget in a substantial way. So far, I've enjoyed a few pizzas and coffees.:)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Those are some impressive sales numbers. Congratulations!

Do you do any major promo, or do the sales more or less happen organically?

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
For me, major promo is "Oh god! I have a book! Twitter, here's a book! Oh god, I'm sorry to bother you."

I have been in...uh...two bundles, I think? They did okay. Can't say it was mind-blowing, or even really moved the needle.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
I have been in...uh...two bundles, I think? They did okay. Can't say it was mind-blowing, or even really moved the needle.

I had seen you were in a bundle this month and was going to ask how they do. (I'm supposed to be in one soon so was curious.)

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
September 2017

Boy, this year has lasted a long damn time already, hasn't it?

Jackalope Wives:
Kindle: 100
D2D: 5
Smashwords: 3
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 108

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 98
D2D: 6
Smashwords: 1
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 105

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 74
D2D: 4
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 81

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 49
PDF Direct Sales: 0
Total: 54

Toad Words
Kindle: 26
D2D: 3
Smashwords:
Total: 29

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 28
Smashwords:
Total: 28

Total Sales to Date
Jackalope Wives: 2192
Summer in Orcus:
Raven & Reindeer:
Bryony & Roses: 8262
Toad Words: 4585
Nine Goblins: 5656

I mean, no lie, it was a dismal month of sales. But my last book came out ages ago (Like, March?) and six months is a very long time in this field. And self-pub still paid the rent (although I'd be eating ramen if I relied on it.)

Still hoping that my current book will get out this month and the year will finish strong, though.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
October 2017

Jackalope Wives:
Kindle: 72
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 77

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 51
D2D: 1
Smashwords:
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 52

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 58
D2D: 2
Smashwords:
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 60

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 43
D2D: 7
Smashwords:
Total: 50

Toad Words
Kindle: 20
D2D: 1
Total: 22

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 23
Total: 26

Total Sales to Date
Jackalope Wives: 2269
Summer in Orcus:
Raven & Reindeer:
Bryony & Roses: 8312
Toad Words: 4607
Nine Goblins: 5682

October was not great, as you can see. Everything kept slowly slithering down--I'd say we're firmly into "everything is now backlist." But it also wasn't as bad as the numbers make it look, because the Kickstarter for the illustrated Summer in Orcus paid out and I got a very handsome check from that, five months rent worth! Also, the royalties for print versions of The Raven & The Reindeer came in--not extraordinary money, but a solid grocery run, and I'm not complaining. Bryony also has a print version out as of last week, so that's nice.

With everything in backlist, as it were, I'm back down to not quite making rent from self-pub sales. Which is not a great place to be. But Patreon is making up the difference substantially. Given that new model, it's hard to know quite how to weigh things--Patreon people get my self-pub books for free, so sales are less, but they give me way more money than they would spend on the books, so...yeah. (I love my patrons. They are the bomb.)

Anyway, as of today I have FINALLY launched my new book, Clockwork Boys. Experimented with pre-orders this time, and a simultaneous launch of the hardcover from the small press doing my print volumes. I have no idea how this will work, but we'll find out! The sequel is due out in February, so I'm hoping that between the two, that'll kick up sales for a couple months.

Initial volume of pre-orders is around 350 of the ebook, and I don't know how many of the hardcover. Looking at the sales numbers today, it seems like we're fitting neatly into my "just under 500 sales out of the gate" standard spot, which given that Patreon people get it free and that there's a print volume available, does NOT make me cry at all.

Onward! Upward! Forward! Bookward!

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
A quick check-in a week after the release of Clockwork Boys.

One week on, we have sold...drum-roll please...1004 ebooks! (Woohoo!)

According to the print distributor, we also moved 80+ hardcovers in pre-order. For trade, that would be death, obviously, but for a teeny small press doing my print versions, they're happy and so am I. (Scale is important, people!)

This is back up to where things were for Reindeer's release, which is cool, because we'd had a dip for a bit there thanks to Patreon. (My patrons get my self-pub ebooks for free, and I was totally fine with the numbers going down because of patrons, mind you.) Some of that is undoubtedly due to the pre-orders funneling a week of pre-sales into the first day, of course, and since I don't have up-to-the-minute numbers on print copies, I don't know how many we've tacked on since then. But overall, rock solid release.

And again, I am so glad I keep this thread. I had to keep checking back writing this post to see what previous releases were like. Recordkeeping! It'll save you!

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Nicely done!

Perfectly positioned for the holidays, too.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
Holiday Season!

November 2017

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 1025
D2D: 126
Smashwords: 9
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 1160

Jackalope Wives:
Kindle: 84
Smashwords: 4
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 95

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 71
D2D: 9
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 83

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 46
Smashwords: 6
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 58

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 40
Total: 49

Toad Words
Kindle: 29
Total: 35

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 26
Smashwords: 8
Total: 34

December 2017

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 2156
D2D: 58
Smashwords: 13
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 2227

Jackalope Wives
Kindle: 133
D2D: 13
Smashwords: 5
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 151

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 151
D2D: 14
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 169

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 135
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 147

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 105
D2D: 13
Total: 109

Toad Words
Kindle: 49
Total: 53

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 111
Total: 119

Total Sales to Date

Clockwork Boys: 3387
Jackalope Wives: 2515
Summer in Orcus:
Raven & Reindeer:
Bryony & Roses: 8470
Toad Words: 4695
Nine Goblins: 5835

Well, here we are at the end of the year and...wow, what a difference a new release makes, huh? The differences between November and December are stark, and the only reason November's even as high as it is is because Clockwork came out in the last week. The sales for the month are clustered all around that last week for everything.

A really astonishing debut for Clockwork, at least by my standards. Blew the doors off Jackalope (which, anthology, not THAT surprising) but came within spitting distance of Orcus, which has been out for a year at this point. That's...yeah, that one's doing pretty well.

A couple factors--holiday, this is a book some of my fans have been waiting for for nigh on a decade, there was a lot of pre-book buzz (well, for one of my books) and it's more standard epic fantasy, but even with all that...yeah. Dude. Plus we had a hardcover version out, and some people undoubtedly opted for that instead of the ebook. The sequel comes out in February, traditionally a very bad book-buying month, so we'll see how it goes. But it did just get a writeup at Tor.com (!!!) so that's got to be worth something!

In my usual fashion of working these things out in my head, everybody brought in grocery money in November, maybe paid the insurance and a few bills in December and then Clockwork stormed in and basically paid my rent for a year. (Given I have been working on that book for an entire decade, thank god!) I am feeling all warm and fuzzy.

After the sequel--The Wonder Engine--comes out, I have absolutely nothing ready to go out the door so much of 2018 may be a race to finish another book before the sales plummet. But y'know, that's how the business goes...

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
January 2018

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 1178
D2D: 40
Total: 1224

Jackalope Wives
Kindle: 116
Total: 134

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 163
D2D: 8
Smashwords: 0
Total: 171

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 129
D2D: 11
Smashwords: 2
Total: 142

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 97
Total: 106

Toad Words
Kindle: 33
Total: 53

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 125
Smashwords: 7
Total: 132

Total Sales to Date

Clockwork Boys: 4611
Jackalope Wives: 2649
Summer in Orcus:
Raven & Reindeer:
Bryony & Roses: 8576
Toad Words: 4748
Nine Goblins: 5967

Woo! Clockwork Boys continues to tear it up, and kept everything else at new-release levels. The sequel is now up for pre-order, so I'm interested as to how that will affect sales of the first one, but it is, by my admittedly modest standards, a massive success.

Apparently I need to just write snarky epic fantasy or something. Who knew?

The one note in here is that Smashwords is useless for sales. I'm basically supporting it as a legacy for a handful of readers and while I love them and don't mind doing it, Smash is barely moving enough copies at this point to be worth my time deciphering the sales figures to do this report. Going forward, I can't say I'd even recommend working with them, when stuff like Draft2Digital is available and so much easier to navigate.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Those are some amazing January numbers. Congratulations!

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Nicely done!

Snarky fantasy? I may have to check this one out...

Yeah. Smashwords didn't do my wife much good back when she tried it. D2D is pretty much the way to go, for wide, anymore.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Woke up this morning to a friend's post on FB that said: "Because I'm too patient for my own good, there are very few book release dates that make me all giddy with excitement. "The Wonder Engine" by T. Kingfisher is one of those. Sometimes a girl needs to indulge in RPG-like questing with party shenanigans, concessions to the practical aspects of adventuring (like sock usage), and a dash of awkward romance."

Thought that one was worth sharing and that you have another hit on your hands.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
February 2018

The Wonder Engine
Kindle: 2015
D2D: 124
Direct Sales: 2
Total: 2141

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 1102
D2D: 51
Total: 1161

Jackalope Wives
Kindle: 84
D2D: 10
Total: 95

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 115
D2D: 10
Total: 127

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 101
Total: 105

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 85
Total: 93

Toad Words
Kindle: 35
Total: 39

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 115
Total: 121

Total Sales to Date

Wonder Engine:
Clockwork Boys:
Jackalope Wives: 2744
Summer in Orcus:
Raven & Reindeer:
Bryony & Roses: 8669
Toad Words: 4787
Nine Goblins: 6088

It's release week for The Wonder Engine and honestly, it's been so fantastic. Amazing pre-orders, cracked the top fifty in epic fantasy on Kindle, and people have been live-tweeting their reading and I got spectacular fan art and basically this is about as good as being an author gets. (Well, as far as I know. Maybe there's some higher level when you move a million copies on opening day and they bring you a pony or something.)

I really truly was not expecting the pre-orders to do as well for Wonder Engine as they did, given that it's a sequel, but we moved like 1500 pre-orders AND had a big opening day, so...yeah. Dude. Whoa. More than double Clockwork Boy's first week, and it's been like three days. Literally the single biggest month I've ever had on Kindle. People really want to know what paladins wear beneath their armor...

Anyway, February is traditionally a bad month for sales, so everything else slithered down a bit, as expected, except Clockwork which held steady. A chunk of that was undoubtedly people finally reading it now that they could do the first and second book in one go, but honestly, it was a pretty steady seller all month. We'll see how everything else does early next month, as the new release bump takes effect.

Last edited:

playground

Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome RedWombat! I've got a few other epic fantasies I'm nibbling into now but plan to grab yours RWM to help support. Quick question for you, how do you define Epic Fantasy? I feel like now it's thrown around for most fantasies and it's hard to put your finger on. When I first got into it, I considered Epic Fantasy to be just a tome of a book (like Stormlight Archives, basically each book close to or at least 1,000 pages and are five plus books long) but as I've delved deeper into the genre that was clearly proven wrong.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
March 2018

The Wonder Engine
Kindle: 2358
D2D: 131
Direct Sales: 0
Total: 2489

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 2050
D2D: 75
Smashwords: 10
Total: 2135

Jackalope Wives
Kindle: 89
D2D: 12
Total: 103

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 152
Total: 168

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 154
D2D: 11
Total: 167

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 130
Total: 139

Toad Words
Kindle: 43
Total: 48

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 228
Smashwords: 10
Total: 238

Total Sales to Date

Wonder Engine: 4630
Clockwork Boys:
Jackalope Wives: 2847
Summer in Orcus: 4092
Raven & Reindeer:
Bryony & Roses: 8808
Toad Words: 4835
Nine Goblins: 6326

My god. March was a heckuva month. Most things got a bit of a bump--Goblins got a rather astonishing bump, I have no idea why that weird little novella continues to sell so steadily, but I'm grateful!--but the real story was the Clocktaur books, which...dude. They're selling better than Bride did back in the day, and I had been thinking of that as my weird one-off success. And they're keeping everything selling at levels that well exceed my holiday sales last year. In February, aka "The Month Where Books Go To Die."

Somebody kick me, I'm clearly dreaming. Or I'm about to get hit by a bus. This is wild.*

*by my standards. I know there's a lot of indie authors who would pat me on the head and say "That's so sweet." I have modest dreams, what can I say?

Last edited:

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Those would be great numbers by my standards.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
April 2018

Wonder Engine
Kindle: 1304
D2D: 33
Total: 1337

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 1302
D2D: 26
Total: 1329

Jackalope Wives
Kindle: 70
Total: 75

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 178
D2D: 12
Total: 192

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 105

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 110
Total: 116

Toad Words
Kindle: 39
D2D: 2
Total: 41

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 164
Smashwords: 5
Total: 169

Total Sales to Date

Wonder Engine: 5967
Clockwork Boys:
Jackalope Wives: 2922
Summer in Orcus: 4284
Raven & Reindeer:
Bryony & Roses: 8924
Toad Words: 4876
Nine Goblins: 6495

Everything is obviously going down, but still...dude. Clockwork Boys is now my bestselling self-pub title, period. I'm still a little gobsmacked by all this.

It's an interesting situation I find myself in--I have trade publishers interested in the next T. Kingfisher book (actually I have a right-of-first-refusal contract with one!) but I kinda want to keep this particular universe/series on self-pub. Unless genre advances are MUCH higher than I think they are, I'd likely lose money going trade. Which is...uh...not what I was expecting to have happen. I write weird little nichey books with weird pacing and a combination of humor and body horror. I did not think I'd ever get...well...here!

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Hard work and good writing pay off! You deserve this, never doubt it for a second.

It... is kind of a catch-22. If you get good results from self-publishing, then by the time you start attracting attention from the trade publishing houses, you don't necessarily need their help anymore.

This is a very good situation to be in, and plenty of leverage if you do want to mess with trade publishing...

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
I love reading successes like yours. It gives me some encouragement. If I just keep plugging away, I might catch the break I need.

Right now, I'd love to have even the sales of your lowest-selling book.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
May 2018

Wonder Engine
Kindle: 890
D2D: 42
Total: 932

Clockwork Boys
Kindle: 879
D2D: 62
Total: 941

Jackalope Wives
Kindle: 61
Total: 66

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 143
Total: 150

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 111
Total: 120

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 101

Toad Words
Kindle: 34
Total: 39

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 107
Total: 113

Total Sales to Date

Wonder Engine:
Clockwork Boys:
Jackalope Wives: 2988
Summer in Orcus:
Raven & Reindeer:
Bryony & Roses: 9033
Toad Words: 4915
Nine Goblins: 6608

Significant drop-off in sales continues, but y'know, at this point it feels like "oh darn...I only sold 2K books in a month. Truly, how I suffer." How can I possibly complain when Clockwork cracked ten thousand copies total and I made more than enough to live on for the month?

Thinking the next book should come out around August or so, but waiting on some other factors before that's written in stone. And of course, because I cannot possibly follow a success with anything similar, this one would be quasi-middle grade and...yeah...