Challenge of Querying - the hardest part!

keston925

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am finding it almost impossible to eloquently dwindle my Memoir into a query and synopsis to potential agents. Writing the book to me seemed much easier!

I have sent the book to 18 beta readers. My feedback has been "amazing", "wow", "powerful"... not one was discouraging and most told me that our story changed them. The Beta readers have really gave me a lot of encouragement, BUT...... I am struggling getting the story into a query form and even there are so many twists and turns its hard to even write a synopsis without losing the depth of the story.

I sent my wobbly query and synopsis's to three potential agents who I felt would be great fits and was immediately turned down :(.

This is crazy! Any wise advice would be greatly appreciated.

Keston

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Welcome Keston.

Writing the query is hard because it is a different type of writing skill. We have a forum here where people can post and get feedback on their queries. We call it "Query Letter Hell", or QLH.

You won't be able to share your query there until you have 50 posts, but you can hang out there, read other queries and share your opinions. Doing so will give you some ideas, as well as helping other writers, and perhaps even help you prepare for your turn on the hot seat of QLH.

Good luck with everything!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

What Literateparakeet said. Password for QLH is vista. Once you reach 50 posts, you can also post the opening of your memoir in the Memoir section of Share Your Work (same password).

Also, don't give the full story. Focus on the most important part.

Do you have a platform (readership) or written credits? Do you have stage or media skills? If so, make sure these go in the bio portion of your query.

And: be sure to research what type of query the agent wants.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll confess: I hate querying! I get sick to my stomach every time I get ready to endure (yes, endure) another round. I really wish it was like I used to think it was, that all I had to do was let the story sell itself.

Perhaps finding a beta reader who has experience with queries might help. In the meantime, read through the query letters posted here and see what works for you. As frustrated as I get, I have figured a few things out and have gotten better at it, and I'm sure the agents are not as picky as I think they are; there's likely a lot more wiggle room than I think.

pich313

Dreaming, writing, pursuing.
Registered
Reaction score
the best advice i can give is to visit http://queryshark.blogspot.com/

it's a blog by Janet Reid, a literary agent from Fine Print Literary Management, where she gives unapologetic critiques of queries submitted to the site. read from the very beginning, take her advice to heart, and look at your own query letter. tweak it with each piece of advice you think pertains to you and by the time you get to her latest post you'll have a tight letter that should get some looks.

then, send it to QLH and let them rip it to shreds.

once you're comfortable with your extremely boiled down letter, then you get to beef it up a bit for the synopsis, which makes it much easier.

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
I'd strongly recommend checking out QLH for help with the querying process.

As a hint, I'd also strongly recommend getting all 50 of the posts you need to post a query in QLH. It's both good karma (you're helping other people!) and you learn something, so you're less likely to scare off regulars by making the really basic mistakes we see all the time. There's also Query Shark + all the stickies over there. (So lots of good times!)