Advertisers repaying for ad in second edition of book?

Glen Dale

Registered
Reaction score
In the first edition of my non-fiction book I included some ads. Mostly from retails shops. This edition is now sold out and I'm about to print a second edition which will include some minor updates.

Is it reasonable to me to contact those who advertised in the first edition looking for payment for their ad in the second edition?

Thanks
G

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What did the contract specify?

Glen Dale

Registered
Reaction score
Ha. There wasn't one. Just emails and an invoice. I guess this leaves me in no-mans-land. I'm interested in hearing what people think is standard practise for new editions.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Considering that contact information, locations or phones could have changed, I would definitely check to see if they want to be included in the new edition. Most businesses that advertise expect that a second go-around of, well, anything will cost more money.

Make sure you get feedback from the shops to find out whether they think the initial ad was worth the money. Do you have any metrics to share about sales and any way to track whether sales of the book corresponded to visits to the shops? If not, offer to make one. For example, people who buy the book are given a code to use for discounts at the shops, or a freebie item that the reader can get ONLY by visiting the shop. I once shopped at a store I'd never been to because a brand of lunchmeat I prefer was giving an insulated lunch cooler as a gift for new shoppers to the store.

Just a few thoughts. :)

Glen Dale

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I decided to contact each of them and just ask if they wanted to renew their ad. No one batted an eyelid and four of them have already got back to me and said yes. So it has worked out well....