Searching: FILM FROM LAST 9 YEARS - Secret Society

Creative Cowboy

A Reader Is A Writer's Best Friend.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I live in Poland so I do not get to the American picture show very often. I do have Youtube so I tend to keep current with what's playing. But it isn't like I have advertising to remind me.

Within the last 9 years, closer to 2004 than to 2013, there was one movie that caught my eye staring a popular celebrity as the lead character. A young guy like Christian Slater or someone like that. Not a star Harrison Ford or Tom Cruise. More like someone whose name I recall when I hear it, like Timothy Hutton.

The movie begins with this character being admitted into a secret society. Cowled figures, candles at night, spooky music, the whole bit. It may be framed around a school fraternity or it may be the illuminati take over the world conspiracy but I remember the character gets involved innocently enough and learns that he is in way over his head. And he has to get out. I do not know if the character was awoken by the face of a demon or by Dan Brown, but I am thinking there was an element of magick involved in the society. And from there you have the standard action story of heavy breathing and jump cuts. Light on the character development I grant you.

But I find myself recalling this film and wanting to watch it (at least the trailer on Youtube) but unable to recall its name.

And to make things worse, it is the kind of formulaic entertainment that came out at that time. Yet this one persists in my head the way the question "Is it safe?" never is too far from my conscious thought.

Can anyone help me, here? My interest in the film is in how this secret society operated and was portrayed so I am very fuzzy in story details. The trailer was quite a good sell though. I will know the film by its trailer.

Can anyone post a Youtube trailer to such a film, please?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I'm at work and can't search, but there was a movie with Christian Slater as a detective (I think) infiltrating a secret society that was sacrificing kids or something like that.

Can you get to imdb? The movie I'm thinking of had "Dark" in the title, so if you put in his name, look for that word.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That Christian Slater movie would be "Alone in the Dark." I haven't seen it--but I can get on IMDb.

Maryn, helper monkey

Creative Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Nope. This isn't a secret society trailer unless Godzilla is a secret society kinda guy. Alone in the Dark is horror. Besides the central character of Alone in the Dark is not trying to get out. He is trying to get in and expose.

Trailer shows that much.

Here is an example of a secret society thriller. And Glen Ford is trying to get out. Within the first 7 minutes you will know what I mean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H57JthB_KVc

As for Christian Slater, don't get hung up on a name. It could be Matthew McConaughey, or Modine or someone like that. If I knew the actor, I would surf the answer. But I am sure someone here is into conspiracy films and has a catalogue of them in their head.

Last edited:

Creative Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Rats.

Cowboy, if nobody comes up with an answer today, I'll do some sleuthing tonight after work.

That would be great. And very much appreciated.

Also, going by the trailer, it is not The Skulls. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN2M7njIfsA That's a bit too, how should I put it, Steven Segal, for the trailer I remember for the film I am seeking.

Last edited:

Creative Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
In addition to The Skulls, here's what I came up with (links go to imdb):

The Circle

The List

These probably aren't right, but The Ninth Gate has similarities, as does End of Days.

You said it didn't star Tom Cruise, but the plot is very much like The Firm.

Well, you're right: Depp, Arnold and Cruise are not it. The 9th Gate has the occult, but not about a guy trying to get out. The Firm is simple corporate crime with star chamber window dressing that hardly makes it a secret society. So those are not it.

The Circle is closer but I cannot find the trailer for it (or The List) on The Internet. The trailer would confirm it to me as it made a lasting impression on me (can you tell?). And if I cannot find the trailer on The Internet, then it is possible neither film is the one I am looking for.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Cowboy, try Amazon Instant Video. I think they let you watch the first few minutes for free. That might help.

I misspoke about the Cruise movie. (I'm at work again and can't search.) The movie I'm thinking of has Cruise and Charlize Theron. Cruise gets recruited to this awesome law firm/secret society type organization. Theron keeps telling Cruise things aren't right, and finally Cruise tries to escape. The head of Cruise's law firm turns out to be Satan. The escape part is why I thought it might me a match.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's not Cruise, it's Keanu Reeves, in "The Devil's Advocate." (Al Pacino is Satan.) But it doesn't sound like quite a match.

Maryn, fangirl of a sort

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Cowboy, try Amazon Instant Video. I think they let you watch the first few minutes for free. That might help.

I misspoke about the Cruise movie. (I'm at work again and can't search.) The movie I'm thinking of has Cruise and Charlize Theron. Cruise gets recruited to this awesome law firm/secret society type organization. Theron keeps telling Cruise things aren't right, and finally Cruise tries to escape. The head of Cruise's law firm turns out to be Satan. The escape part is why I thought it might me a match.

That's not Cruise, it's Keanu Reeves, in "The Devil's Advocate." (Al Pacino is Satan.) But it doesn't sound like quite a match.

Maryn, fangirl of a sort
Yeah, I was shouting at the screen as I read the description, Alice. No, it isn't Tom Cruise, it's the other guy, you know, the one from speed. But, for the life of me I couldn't think of the name of the film. Then up popped Maryn. My saviour. :kiss:

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you're right: Depp, Arnold and Cruise are not it. The 9th Gate has the occult, but not about a guy trying to get out. The Firm is simple corporate crime with star chamber window dressing that hardly makes it a secret society. So those are not it.

The Circle is closer but I cannot find the trailer for it (or The List) on The Internet. The trailer would confirm it to me as it made a lasting impression on me (can you tell?). And if I cannot find the trailer on The Internet, then it is possible neither film is the one I am looking for.

If it's not The Skulls, I'd actually thought of another Tom Cruise movie, Eyes Wide Shut... But then you say he's not in it.

IMDB has trailers, as does Rotten Tomatoes - have you tried those sites at all?

Creative Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
If it's not The Skulls, I'd actually thought of another Tom Cruise movie, Eyes Wide Shut... But then you say he's not in it.

IMDB has trailers, as does Rotten Tomatoes - have you tried those sites at all?

Hi Wilde,
Eyes Wide Shut is a good film - I watched it in a cinema in small town Orillia, Ont. But it's not the film.

I have looked on IMDB but not Rotten Tomatoes. I will now. I have thought about searching through the whole library of entries - a total shot in the dark hoping for a name of a film to jump out at me - on Wikipedia but it strikes me as more of a procrastination technique than an actual search.

If the I could recall the actor, failing the film's name, a database search would make sense. But the male actor is one of those young Pete Postlethwaite actors who is a familar face but not a named star. The Skulls comes closest to the synopsis of the film I am looking for. From what I can remember from the trailer, it was shot in dark colour tones and contrasts - probably what made the impression.

Surely there were more secret society films produced in the last 9 years than the handful we have on this topic.

I cannot find "The Circle" on 7 pages of Rotten Tomatoes. No trailer I can find on the Internets. :(

Last edited:

Creative Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
The movie begins with this character being admitted into a secret society. Cowled figures, candles at night, spooky music, the whole bit. It may be framed around a school fraternity or it may be the illuminati take over the world conspiracy but I remember the character gets involved innocently enough and learns that he is in way over his head. And he has to get out. I do not know if the character was awoken by the face of a demon or by Dan Brown, but I am thinking there was an element of magick involved in the society. And from there you have the standard action story of heavy breathing and jump cuts. Light on the character development I grant you.

But I find myself recalling this film and wanting to watch it (at least the trailer on Youtube) but unable to recall its name.

Well, no answer yet but I managed to buy THE ORDER from eBay for less than $7 including postage to Poland!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHi8YN0sz6I

I wonder if anyone has the answer?

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I live in Poland so I do not get to the American picture show very often. I do have Youtube so I tend to keep current with what's playing. But it isn't like I have advertising to remind me.

Within the last 9 years, closer to 2004 than to 2013, there was one movie that caught my eye staring a popular celebrity as the lead character. A young guy like Christian Slater or someone like that. Not a star Harrison Ford or Tom Cruise. More like someone whose name I recall when I hear it, like Timothy Hutton.

And to make things worse, it is the kind of formulaic entertainment that came out at that time. Yet this one persists in my head the way the question "Is it safe?" never is too far from my conscious thought.

Can anyone help me, here? My interest in the film is in how this secret society operated and was portrayed so I am very fuzzy in story details. The trailer was quite a good sell though. I will know the film by its trailer.

---

I googled "Secret Society movies" and came up with a few. Maybe they're what you're looking for.

The List, 2007, with Will Patton
The Conspiracy, 2012
The Brotherhood...I think there were four movies in the series.

Other than that, I got nothin'.

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
I put this question to another online group that was formed specifically to help people find movies.

Thus far, the only bite I've gotten is this:

One possibility is "Black Circle Boys" (1997). From IMDB:
All-American Kyle is the newest initiate of the Black Circle Boys, an underworld society of gothic groupies whose primary interests are creating mayhem and studying the Occult. By the time he realizes he's in over his head, it may be too late!

Here's the trailer, and the full movie seems to be available on YouTube as well.