When an expert is needed

Nature Geek

Registered
Reaction score
I've had this idea in my head to write a book about a certain species of aquarium snail. Before you say 'what?', let me explain that they're fairly popular and there's not a lot of reliable information on the internet about them. I truly believe they'd be more popular if more was known about their care. There's only one book from 1996 which gets mediocre reviews at best. l do think there's a specific market that would buy the book.

I have quite a bit of experience with them, but I don't have any scientific credentials. In addition to general care, I would want to delve into anatomy and physiology, water chemistry, shell composition, etc. - subjects that are pertinent but which I don't have the credentials to explain in detail.

So let's say I was able to find a biologist or malacologist that would be willing to contribute to the book. Would they be a co-writer? Would I have to get a lawyer and negotiate a profit percentage? How would all that work?

Also, how would I go about finding such an expert if I didn't know anyone personally?

aimeestates

MADNESS
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yarghing.com
You could just write it and then possibly have it critiqued by a biologist/malacologist. I think this one is so obscure your platform might not be as important as you think. If you properly research this thing, there's no reason to think you can't explain the information in detail. Technical writing guidelines will typically tell you to use the most simplified speech you can get away with for readability.

Colleges are a great place to find experts on just about any subject, including TAs and grad students. As for the legal stuff, I've heard it said that legal advice is a no-go on this site, so I won't say anything there, but I think you're jumping the gun and you can worry about that later.

Best of luck :)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm actually a malacologist! (I know. What are the odds?)

I can't offer advice about co-writing/profit-sharing etc, but the way I would look for a malacologist is by doing a search on Google scholar for recent papers on the species --- I won't try to guess which one it is! --- and then see if any of the authors are in your area. I'd suggest though that most professional malacologists would be employed by museums, unis and govt departments, so might be up to their armpits in enough things to do already.

Having said that, once you start delving into those scientific papers and books, you might find enough information to feel comfortable writing those sections on your own.

Nature Geek

Registered
Reaction score
Wow... what are the odds? Good to know I'm not the only snail lover on the site. They are fascinating creatures.

Well, this is enlightening already. I never even thought about looking up scientific papers for the info. (This is how green I am.) I have an outline in my head already. I should just start writing now and fill in the blanks as I go. I do tend to overthink things and never get my ideas off the ground.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Depending on what species you're looking at, there might be quite a lot of readily-accessible info (heliculture/aquaculture, pest control, conservation, etc) but in a variety of places. Bringing it together in one book would be very useful.

Good luck!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Robert Stroud, aka "The Birdman of Alcatraz", was a life-term convict who got fascinated by birds, and wrote numerous articles about them based on personal observation.*

David Arora, not an academically-credentialed mycologist, has produced by far the best book on North American mushrooms, Mushrooms Demystified, a must for anybody wishing to know about edible and inedible fungi.

I know more than one garden enthusiast who has produced excellent and well-received books on various aspects of horticulture without having any academic credential in the field.

Knowledge, well-expressed, will overcome lack of academic credentials. You're good with snails? Write what you know about them.

caw

* Not actually while he was incarcerated at Alcatraz, where such activity was forbidden, but before he was sent there. Aside from his work with birds, Stroud was a creepy, scary guy nobody wanted to associate with.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would guess it is a species covered at applesnail.net where there is a good forum. I am a behaviorist with a good biology background and keep three species of large aquatic snail and three species of small aquatic snail. Like many enthusiasts I would be happy to give comments on such a book for a mention in the acknowledgments section.

Nature Geek

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks blacbird for these encouraging examples.

Yes, I'm a member of applesnail.net. It's an excellent source. Really the only good one on the internet as far as I'm aware of. I wish the forum was more active. It was in the past, but things really slowed down the last 3 years or so. Now it seems like people just pop in to ask a question and leave. I used to try to start up conversations, but I ended up mostly talking to myself. So now I just pop in to ask a question and leave.

Deleted member 42

I have quite a bit of experience with them, but I don't have any scientific credentials. In addition to general care, I would want to delve into anatomy and physiology, water chemistry, shell composition, etc. - subjects that are pertinent but which I don't have the credentials to explain in detail.

You could find a co-writer, but were I you, I'd start by going to a research library, that is, one associated with a college or university, and reading all the academic/scholarly stuff you can find. I'd pay particular attention to scholarly articles, dissertations and monographs.

Then, after you have a draft, you might consider asking a paid expert to review it, and see what kind of a response you get back.

This is the kind of a niche book that you might do very well with as a self-publication, or, that with the right niche-related publisher, would do even better.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There are still experts lurking at applesnail if you want to solicit expert beta-readers. I think most would do it just to be helpful.

Nature Geek

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so grateful for all the helpful and encouraging replies. I realize I was sort of vague about the snail (Pomacea diffusa). I assumed no one would know anything about them and think I was nuts. I humbly apologize for underestimating your knowledge. I'd be grateful to have any of you critique my writing.

I'll start working on an outline and getting some research together. I haven't written a paper of any kind in years. I feel I need to hone my writing skills and express my thoughts better. Maybe take a creative writing course? I'll have more time this winter to work on this when there's no yard and garden demanding my attention.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I agree that there is a gap in the market for a pomecea diffusa book. I would suggest just giving it a go. I think it could be a good earner if the various snail mavens agree it is accurate.

I would recommend including a good section on species identification with diagrams. Various indie and chain stores are selling other types mixed in with diffusas.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I agree with veinglory that there'd be a market for a book on Pomacea. Sounds like you're on the right track!

Perhaps instead of forking over cash for a creative writing class, you might read a range of non-fiction books to see the variety of styles used and identify one that would suit your book? Or maybe wait until you've got your outline and source material together before you worry too much about style.

(And I've just finished a first draft of my snail book, so I'll back out of the conversation, just to avoid (the appearance of) conflict of interest. It's unlikely there's any significant overlap between our books -- mine is general, rather than focusing on one or a few species -- but I'll be over here *points* in DM-land or at my blog, if you think there might be anything I can help you with.)

Nature Geek

Registered
Reaction score
Sure, I understand, although my book is just a gleam in my eye right now. I feel I have much work to do first. How awesome that you're writing a snail book! Not long ago I read, "The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating" by Elisabeth Tova Bailey. Loved it. I have no experience with land snails but am dying to get one.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I assumed no one would know anything about them

I don't.

and think I was nuts.

You are.

Me? I work professionally with microscopic plant fossils, pollen spores, algae, fungi of various kinds. You want people to think you're really wacko? Try explaining that one.

Why, just this afternoon, looking through the microscope at samples extracted from an Alaska North Slope oil well, I found a Rugubivesiculites multisaccus, in a stratigraphic horizon of mid-Cretaceous age, which has previously been recorded only from mid-Cretaceous rocks in central North America. Can you imagine how this caused my heart to palpitate?

It's all good.

caw

Last edited:

Nature Geek

Registered
Reaction score
lol, someone's gotta do the weird stuff.

That actually sounds interesting. I'm not sure about the microscopic part, but I love fossils. :)

Nature Geek

Registered
Reaction score
I've been tempted to start a blog for a long time. I think it would be a good way to get my feet wet to the whole book idea. I see that many of you have one in your signatures. I'll start looking through this site for reviews and recommendations, but if anyone wants to offer suggestions here, I'm open! I'm not a real computer techy type person. Looks like Blogspot is popular, but when I went to the site it asked for my Google ID. Is that something new?

Okay, got one started one in Wordpress. Now to figure out how to design it...

Last edited:

Rockem Sockem Robot

Dyslexic Unit
Registered
Reaction score
Also, how would I go about finding such an expert if I didn't know anyone personally?

If you live in a large city you walk down to the local university and meet them. If you do not, you search for them online and email them. Many biologists enjoy sharing their knowledge and would probably like having a conversation about their passion for free. Ask some biologists what school has a great snail program and go from there if need be.