Southerners! What's weird about the North? (US)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm from Texas.

The pronounced lack of Dr. Pepper once you migrate to the more northern states is unacceptable. And no, Mr. Pibb is not the same thing.

Also, I have an "aunt," (sounds like "ant"), but if I address her by name it's Aunt (sounds like a'int), which rhymes with "can't" because most people around here, use the hard A for that word, too.

mamiller512

Registered
Reaction score
I'm from Texas.

The pronounced lack of Dr. Pepper once you migrate to the more northern states is unacceptable. And no, Mr. Pibb is not the same thing.

I forgot about the complete disregard the Yankees have for my favorite beverage, the almighty Dr. Pepper. LOL :snoopy:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I'm from Texas.

Here in Massachusetts most stores carry Dr Pepper, and people even turn over the stock, so it doesn't go bad.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What lack of Dr. Pepper? I grew up in NY, live in CT, and I've been drinking Dr. Pepper my whole life. Never had any trouble finding it.

Mr. Pibb, OTOH, is entirely unfamiliar to me. (It may have been around all the time, I just never had any reason to notice it.)

bethany

:)
Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
Oh! Speaking of jelly...everytime I go to a fast food place for breakfast and order a breakfast sandwich (McDonalds, Burger King, Arby's,) I get asked if I want jelly. I thought it was just like asking if I wanted ketchup at first, except I kept only having a sandwich---nothing to put jelly on, such as a biscuit or roll. I finally asked the clerk at my local McDonalds why she asked, since I'd only ordered an Egg McMuffin, and she said "Oh, most of the people I know put jelly on their sandwich." With cheese, egg & sausage? Really? :Wha:

Maybe it's just in Texas (or my little part if it). Anyone else from the South care to weigh in on jelly?

I'm from KY and I always get jelly with an egg mcmuffin. I take off the top of the English muffin (too much bread) and eat it open faced and then put the jelly on the top half. I do know a lot of people who put the jelly directly on it, which isn't a completely novel idea. Think monte cristo.

bethany

:)
Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
I’m from eastern Kentucky, and I’m in college in Boston.

First off—Southerners don’t often talk about Northerners. We talk about Yankees.

Iced Lipton ain’t tea. It’s Luzianne all the way down here.

“Bless their heart” is indeed a way of softening a rude thing when you’re talking about someone, but if someone says “bless your heart” to you, oh, honey. Honey.

That’s a thing—I find myself referring to people of any gender and age as “honey”.

Northerners think white gravy is weird (if they’ve heard of it at all). It’s hard as all get-out to find decent dried pinto beans up here. And y’all Northerners don’t cook with lard. It’s everywhere in the South. Lard and bacon grease. Strangely enough, it’s real hard to find a decent Mexican place in Boston.

Jelly on sausage is totally a thing in my area. It’s almost always grape jelly on sausage, too.

I always try to smile at or chat with campus security, which almost no one else did. I also surprised pretty much every cafeteria/”café” worker on campus by thanking them and wishing them a good day whenever I ordered and received my order.

I cannot for the life of me pronounce “pin” and “pen” differently. It’s all i’s. I know people who say “yallow” instead of yellow, but that’s more rare than the e/i thing.

I’ve also had to learn to ask for things. When you’re at someone’s house, you don’t ask for food or drink. You wait for them to offer it to you. My friends discovered this the first time I meekly requested “some water or something”—after all, I was a guest in their room and I didn’t want to inconvenience them.

My hometown is incredibly Protestant—Southern Baptist, mostly. We have one tiny Catholic church, and according to my parents, there was once a (as in one) Jewish family that lived somewhere in the county, but they moved away a long while ago.

Funerals are huge deals. There’s visitation for two or three days, which include full services, and the funeral itself is like going to Sunday-morning church. Everybody who knows anybody in the family attends. There’s great food, too. Some people still have funerals in the home, though I’ve never been to one. In my 19 years, I have literally lost count of the funerals I’ve been to, and I know some people up here who have only been to close relatives’ funerals.

... now I want to go home, dangit.

This is funny, because I'm also from KY (Louisville) and I've never had Luzianne tea, always Lipton. And I've never heard anyone say Yankees referring to anything besides a ball team (or southern people on TV)

We do have white gravy once in awhile!!!

My 9th grade speech teacher stressed the difference between pin and pen and now I can't imagine saying them the same. However, my son's name is Ezra and people are constantly calling him Izra. Not just people from the south.

Funny how things can be different in the same state!

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised at the number of Texans identifying as "southern." I lived in Texas for 21 years as an adult - 8 in West Texas, 12 in Austin, and 1 in East Texas.

Only East Texas was kinda considered part of the south and had some of those attributes. West Texas was part of the Southwest USA, and Austin was Heaven. :)

We have a new in-law who's from South Carolina, who recently spent some time with us on vacation. Our family is New England and Out West. She's the first southerner - and she had a hard time of it. We did too. Interregional marriages can be difficult. Not saying anything more about that. :Ssh:

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The pronounced lack of Dr. Pepper once you migrate to the more northern states is unacceptable.

This comment mystifies me entirely. Dr. Pepper is available everywhere, in every grocery store I've ever been in, from Louisiana to Alaska. I grew up in Iowa and Minnesota, and it was ubiquitous even back then. Still is. Mr. Pibb, on the other hand, I haven't seen anywhere in years?

I do hate 'em both, however. Maybe my upbringing. Gimme a Squirt, anyday.

caw

>compass<

A little off kilter
Registered
Reaction score
I am not a southerner, but I've somehow adopted several southern habits and preferences. Hell, my name is the one of the most southern names possible for a lady (but I won't post it, sorry. Y'all will just have to guess).

Take "soda" for example. Everyone I know up here says "pop" which drives me bananas because I always want to say, "It's SODA. Soh-Dah. Not (expletive) pop!" I was even asked once if I'm from my home state because I'd asked for orange soda instead of orange pop. Also, Dr. Pepper is the bees knees. I love jelly on my sausage (and maple syrup on my bacon and scrambled eggs, but that may not be a southern thing per se?). I eat grits often. I also say, "Bless their heart" to soften the blow. I make small talk with people all the time and depending on where I am people are either chilly and unresponsive or they open up like they've been desperate for a chat. The whole "people not acknowledging each other on the street" thing really bothers me, too.

Also, I say y'all like it's my job, y'all. I agree with whoever it was who said "y'all" is more elegant than "you guys." "Y'all" is old-timey proper English! What's not to love! :D

mamiller512

Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised at the number of Texans identifying as "southern." I lived in Texas for 21 years as an adult - 8 in West Texas, 12 in Austin, and 1 in East Texas.

Only East Texas was kinda considered part of the south and had some of those attributes. West Texas was part of the Southwest USA, and Austin was Heaven. :)

I'm originally from Austin. (Keep Austin Wierd!)

I agree about not really identifying myself as a Southern. I started to feel like a Southern once I started to move up North and to Cali. Other people identified me as a Southerner and the y'alls kinda sealed the deal in their minds. LOL. I thought, hell, I am from the southern part of the US, so I guess that fits. ;)

MostlyBecca

Squeee
Registered
Reaction score
I'm from Texas.

Ugh! I so agree. Dr. Pepper is my favorite soda by far and more than half the time in restaurants they tell me they only have coke products. I don't mind Mr. Pibb honestly, it's close enough for me. But a lot of the time the places that say they only have coke products don't even have Mr. Pibb which is a coke product.

Then they ask me if cherry coke is okay :Wha:

Last week someone asked if root beer was okay when I asked for Dr. Pepper. Root beer? Seriously? No just give me a coke... *sigh*

I'm still not sure which is worse about living here. That Dr. Pepper isn't more abundant, or that the closest Bojangles is states away. (I do still really love it here though.)

Last edited: