• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta for Everything I Needed to Know About Parenting I Learned in Prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
How do hootch, shanks, and prison riots relate to parenting? In this mostly serious book, parenting is explored through the lens of lessons learned while working as a correctional officer. Written as a series of short reflections, each reflection begins with a story from prison life and then relates that to parenting.

Everything I Needed to Know About Parenting, I Learned in Prison is a short work of approx 12,000 words. Think novella, but non-fiction.

What I am looking for is mostly a content edit. Is it boring or pedantic? (geez I hope not but my inner critic insists that I ask). Interesting? And any other suggestions, or comments are welcome. I'm not particularly sensitive, but I would appreciate hearing what you liked along with what didn't work.

I am willing to swap, and I will read just about anything but erotica.

Thanks!

`Raine

Registered
Reaction score
I'd also be willing to read it, depending on your timeline.

Sounds like we may have similar backgrounds too - I was a C.O. for 6 years, then left to be a stay-at-home mom when my son was born.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Thanks Raine! You are right, we have that in common. I loved being a stay at home mom, but now I'm working again..this time with teenage sex offenders...oi vey!

There's not a rush, a month or so would be fine. I'm not in a big hurry, I just need some feedback. I'll send you a PM. Thanks again!

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
I would be glad to help. My background is prison and probation, so I might not be the best to tell you how it reads to someone who has not been in the situation. I do generally have a good idea how to look at things objectively. Most of the time, I have no choice. Have to follow SOP. Good luck.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be willing to read as well. Sounds interesting. Let me know your timeline. :)

Dylan_Perry

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds very interesting. I don't know much about prisons, and less about parenting (being a 21-year old guy) but I would love to read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.