suggestions for query

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldman97

I recently moved from the North down to the South and am writing short, humorous pieces about my first year as a "Yankee In Dixie"....can anyone suggest a few places to submit these writings for possible "publication".

Topics include my first meeting with the "wild hawgs in my back yard" and my first bout with "chiggars".

I have enough to fill a book....

Thanks

batyler65

My first suggestion would be to check out any regional magazines in the area where you live. Many regionals run humor pieces occasionally and you might find one that's a perfect fit.

Beyond that, I'd recommend obtaining a copy of Writer's Market and browsing through the humor markets.

Good Luck!

Barb

RichMar

I'm not sure what you mean by query. If your intent is to place a number of them in the same pub, a query would be the thing to do. Since you have loads of them it might be a good idea to do just that--and, sending a few samples).

However if your plan is to submit one or two each to various pubs a query wouldn't be needed. Pubs seldom, if ever, want queries on individual humor pieces.

In both cases you need to send complete manuscripts. Editors can't judge a humor piewce through a query.

aka eraser

Check out local newspapers too. The fish-out-of-water angle often plays well with locals if your take on it/them isn't insulting.

Yeshanu

What about newspapers/mags in the area you moved from? Folks up there might be interested to know what life is like in a different part of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.