Features of small e-readers help dyslexic people with reading speed and comprehension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
Wonderful news for dyslexic folks. I can't imagine what it must be like to enjoy reading and have difficulties doing so.

In a study published Thursday in the open-source journal PLOS One, the researchers report that reading on an iPod allows people with dyslexia to read faster and comprehend more text.

The key feature is the fact that the e-reader screen can be customized to display just a few words on each line.
Nice to read some good news for once!

Lexxie

Avid reader and lover of fiction
Registered
Reaction score
Website
unconventionalbookviews.com
That is excellent news! I have two dyslexic children, and it's really hard for both of them! I'll try having them read on their iPods so they might enjoy it a little :)

Deleted member 42

I took to ebooks early on in part because I can re-set the text to make it easier to read.

Keep in mind though, that not all dyslexics have difficulty reading; some primarily have difficulty writing.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
Hopefully technology that helps address that will appear soon, Medi. :)

I can definitely sympathize empathize with having trouble writing. *glances at recently-operated-on non-opposable thumb on writing hand* That one sucks. *glances at title of site we are all currently using*

ETA: *facepalm* And apparently I mixed up sympathize and empathize. That's not a learning disability but a side effect of having way too little coffee today.

Last edited:

Lexxie

Avid reader and lover of fiction
Registered
Reaction score
Website
unconventionalbookviews.com
One of my children has problems with both reading and writing, and another only has trouble with reading. They don't both have the same kind of trouble with the reading, though, so I need different ways of helping them. They do love stories, though, and I know they will be happy if they manage to read something exciting for themselves.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
That's excellent, Lexxie. I hope you can find them the help they need. Might want to follow the research study links in the article in the OP and see if there are any linked articles to further research on the topic? Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.