Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
UCB, have you read Snapper, published by Tinder Press? You might like it. I really did.

usuallycountingbats

Procrastinating on the net.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation Old Hack, I'll check it out. I love having books recommended to me, especially when they're ones I haven't come across :)

Deleted member 42

I'd like to just see a badger sett, or badger and I'd really like to see one or more dormice.

usuallycountingbats

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to just see a badger sett, or badger and I'd really like to see one or more dormice.

If you lived near me, I could arrange both of those things. In fact I could also arrange for you to hold a dormouse, since I have an actual licence which allows me to legally bother dormice. I have the same thing for newts.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You should come and visit me, Lisa. We have badgers here, and bats, and deer, and far too many sheep. And a resident buzzard, and all sorts of endangered birds. And me, of course.

usuallycountingbats

Registered
Reaction score
Dormice are thin on the ground near you though Old Hack!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
They are indeed. But I'd rather have the curlews. Their call. It's bliss.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
We do indeed have ring ouzels. A few years back a friend of ours, who rings birds for a big proper study, told us that there were officially three nesting pairs here, but that he'd just seen twelve of them behind our house. He was somewhat gobsmacked. Heh.

usuallycountingbats

Registered
Reaction score
I like them, although other climbers get annoyed at the bird bans. Amazing to see 12 in one go!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Except that it's backed by interns who have actually worked there and testify that nothing from the slush pile gets through, and by the current fiction editor, Deborah Treisman, who is on record as saying that people who submit to the slush pile likely don't know anything about publishing or writing.

Whereas there is exactly zero evidence on the other side.

You are years out of date, and are just rehashing some very, very old news that is no longer true.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Some dummy with th eI.Q. of a potted plant pulls a similar stunt each and every year, and it's all meaningless garbage.

At best, it's something BAD writers use as an excuse for why they can't sell their horribly written short stories.

Writers need to shut up, stop looking for excuses, and learn to write better fiction. Do this, and you'll sell your stories.

Geeze, it's amazing how you cvan't sell a story form the slush, but many of us do so at top magazines on a regular basis, and pretty much NONE of us started writing AFTER we became famous.

It really makes you wonder how any writer gets famous, since they all started out as unpublished and unknown, and we all know those who are unpublished and unknown can't sell a short story.

Really, of all the dumb stunts I've seen pulled, this one is without doubt the dumbest, and shows a complete ignorance of how publishing, and selling fiction works. It's nose picking stupid.

mrsfauthor

Registered
Reaction score
I've been rejected a lot. Then I discovered that to get an acceptance, I needed to write a better manuscript.

In the end? I got published. So I'm quite happy. I hope the hahagotcha folks are happy too.

Although I'm sure this was meant as entertaining...I believe that with each rejection, I get better. One never stops learning, that's for sure, and you have to be open to it in order to grow as a writer, a person, as an anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.