• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] House of Erotica / Andrews UK

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't published with them. Their site looks rinkydink but legitimate, which is about as good as you get with erotica.

I notice they publish a lot of short story collections. That's a clever strategy -- it improves the customer's chances of getting a story that punches his or her buttons. Good marketing.

You're not going to get rich selling to them, but they don't look like a scam.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in one of the House of Erotica collections (the delightfully named "Smut by the Sea--Volume 2"). The process was really simple, the turnaround from acceptance to publication only a few months. You're paid based on royalties, though, with no advance, and irritatingly my first royalty statement puts me slightly in the negative because author accounts are being charged from promotional copies. Sales have not been as good as I'd hoped either, which frankly puzzles me, because the title and cover both seem irresistible ;D.

Anyway, they're perfectly legitimate, and fairly responsive, but I second the not getting rich aspect. Although it looks like they've decided to do a Smut by the Sea 3 (calls for submissions are out at erotica-readers and other sites), so maybe sales will pick up in the future.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you submitted to them I suppose you want to be published by them? You can check samples of their work and some reviews via Amazon. My impression is that they tend to specialize in kinks most common in male readers.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It was an assumption based on the authors on the other thread being pros who would have mentioned editing fees had there been any.

Given the authors from AW that have worked with them, I suspect you might have misunderstood. I suggest that you wait for them to chime in once these two threads are merged before assuming the worst.

From what I see there are a 100% non-vanity, no fee small press who does edit, and does provide proof copies to authors prior to release. Charges to make post publication corrections, after the authors signed off on the proofs, are not that unusual. I am curious as to where you got that they don't provide "preview copies" by which I assume you mean proofs.

My only reservations would be that they seem to have modest sales and lean towards male-centric kink.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Merging this thread from Erotica with the extant one in Bewares.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me, that's too large a red flag. I'd pull it.

Maryn, noting that it's your decision

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I stand corrected. That is really not acceptable behavior for a "publisher". I clearly assumed incorrectly in their favor.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
As one of the authors published by HoE in their anthologies, here's my experience (for completeness' sake):

The editor of the anthology, when she accepted by story, let me know that it would be edited for grammar. However, they would not be providing proofs and basically the author didn't get final say on the changes unless they were extensive. When I expressed concerns about this, I was told I would be able to see the proof before it was sent on to press, but would have to offer my own feedback quickly because of the publishing schedule--which was rapid, only a few months. As it happens I didn't do that because I was traveling at the time (in a national park in Ghana, willingly foregoing internet access), so I wouldn't hold the editors at fault for that. In fact, combining that with the rest of the information in this thread, my guess is that the editors of the anthology were the ones basically volunteering their own copyediting services, rather than having that provided by the publisher. Or else HoE has changed their methods even more over the past fourteen months.

I devoured my contributor's copy (and actually wrote a review, including a caveat for my bias, in hopes of boosting visibility/sales) and found the stories in the specific antho I was in to be mostly female-centric, which as a self-centered woman I rather enjoyed. But this may again be to the credit of the specific editors rather than House of Erotica as a whole.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
The posts by Lizzy Grey have all been removed. Whatever information was provided in those posts sounds in others' posts to have been noteworthy for writers considering to submit to House of Erotica.

Does anyone have recent experiences with this publisher to share or remember what was shared before?