Rules of grammar you find yourself defying?

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Evil and King, so if I misspelled it, you both would quote me: ipekakuanha (sic)?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
This thread was spurred by an aside on another thread: "Luis's book" vs "Luis' book".

The latter used to be grammatically correct, then "they" changed it to the former. But the latter is what I learned, it looks better, and it's what I use, dammit.

Another example:

Why do you say, "put the question mark inside the quotes"?

I put the question mark inside the quotes when the question mark is part of a spoken question.

"Is dinner at five?" she asked

If the question is not the quoted material, you put it outside. For instance: Do you agree with people who say, "live and let live"?

Isn't this when one is supposed to put question marks inside quotes on both sides of the pond?

However, US and UK rules differ with regards to periods, for some reason.

With parentheses, the punctuation is generally supposed to go outside, unless it would be inside quotes for some reason.

As for other rules? Well, with fiction writing, some are rather flexible. I use fragments in my narrative occasionally for voice or emphasis, at least when writing in a limited third or first person pov.

Others are not so flexible. I try to use commas correctly.

One "rule" I dislike on the US side of the pond is the so-called serial comma comma, however. I was taught back in school (in the 80s in the US) that it was becoming optional, except when needed for clarity, and that you should pick a system and stick with it.

But lately, I've learned that unless you are doing journalistic writing, the serial comma is still the expected norm in the US (thirty years after I was told it was becoming optional) but not in the UK. So I kind of rebel there by default. But I've been having to polish my MS up, and so am fixing the missing serial commas.

Sigh, I think they are ugly.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One "rule" I dislike on the US side of the pond is the so-called serial comma comma, however. I was taught back in school (in the 80s in the US) that it was becoming optional, except when needed for clarity, and that you should pick a system and stick with it.

But lately, I've learned that unless you are doing journalistic writing, the serial comma is still the expected norm in the US (thirty years after I was told it was becoming optional)...

I use the gorgeous serial comma in my own works, but I don't believe it's the "norm." Half of my clients use it; half do not. It's strictly their choices until their publishers make changes to suit them. I only make reminders about consistency.

It's a tempest in a teapot, another example of a rule for novelists that's more in the realm of style, so I think your method works well, R-mom. :D

Last edited:

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I split infinitives and I love it!!!!
In English you can. The alleged rule that says the infinitive is not to be boldly split is bollocks. You can't split it in Latin because it's one word.

When a language forms the infinitive by using an auxiliary preposition such as "to", then obviously, splitting it's a possibility.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
I commit all kinds of horrors. Sentence fragments, plays on words, split infinitives and *gasp* ending sentences with prepositions. Can't seem to stop myself.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sentence fragments, plays on words, split infinitives and ending sentences with prepositions.

Commit away to your wild heart's content! None of the above are against rules in my grammars for writing short stories and novels.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
And what is "logical punctuation"?

Putting periods and commas outside if they're not directly part of the quoted material.

I put the question mark inside the quotes when the question mark is part of a spoken question.

"Is dinner at five?" she asked

If the question is not the quoted material, you put it outside. For instance: Do you agree with people who say, "live and let live"?

I think it's considered *correct* in the US to have the punctuation inside the quote mark, no matter what the usage. But I disagree. I think what you said here - Do you agree with people who say, "live and let live"? is easier to understand and, as others have said, more logical.

One "rule" I dislike on the US side of the pond is the so-called serial comma comma, however ... But I've been having to polish my MS up, and so am fixing the missing serial commas.

Sigh, I think they are ugly.

DO NOT disrespect the Oxford comma! :rant:

... have placed it outside, on occasion. Most radical thing I've done was to put the punctuation mark before the sentence:

!Jane sang

A lovely part of the Spanish language, with question marks and exclamation marks put on both sides of the sentence. Makes sense to me ...

I was taught to spell in the United States in the 1970's, and learned traveled and signaled, but kidnapped. As an adult in the UK in the 1990's, I then encountered travelled and signalled. I have never seen kidnaped.

I agree with buzhidao that it looks like it should be pronounced with a long a. That's because the lack of a second p leaves an open syllable, and those tend to be long in English. The same does not occur with the other two words, because the middle vowel in them is a schwa, and can't lengthen no matter what you do with it.

I write "traveled" and "signaled" but "kidnaped" looks wrong - now I know why. Thanks for the explanation.

My biggest *flaw* is syntax at times - let me think of an example - hmm, may have to come back to this ...

Oh, and I agree with craze ... I like ellipses ...

Cornelius Gault

New writer since 07/2012.
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer the "outside comma", not inside.
I prefer the "outside period". Not inside.
I do lists like A, B and C (not A, B, and C).
I prefer capitalizing some words that are usually not capitalized in "title case", such as "Gone With The Wind", not "Gone with the Wind".

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I tend to enjoy writing fragments, and, conversely, run-on sentences. Though I usually try to balance them out.

And because I've written a lot of poetry, I tend to use punctuation as more of a pronunciation guide than anything. Period's a full stop, Comma's a little breather, Semicolon's a larger pause. Clauses and technicalities be damned.

And I should also mention starting sentences with "and". I'm told that's a no-no.

(Well, not really. I am trying to change these habits. And I'm getting better at it.)