Julie Chen / Plastic Surgery Admission / Was Racially Motivated ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... by first boss at a local tv station, when she was 25:

you will never be on this anchor desk because you are Chinese.’ Let’s face it, Julie, how relatable are you to our community? How big of an Asian community do we really have here in Dayton? Our audience can’t relate to you because you are not like them,

And by the same #&@% idiot again:

And he said on top of that, ‘because of your heritage, because of your Asian eyes, sometimes when you are on camera and you are interviewing someone, you look disinterested. You look bored because your eyes are so heavy, they are so small’.”

So she went and got plastic surgery,
with encouragement of an agent.

Lots of it going by the 15+years-before/after pics.

Stupid racism ! :rant:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news...the-talk-host-julie-chen-traumatized-b/nZtCD/

ps I like how Julie looked in the before photo.
Much prettier, imo, and real.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Well Ken, in your photo you look bored and disinterested, so can I recommend a plastic surgeon for you, too?

:D

Honestly, it WAS a racist comment by Chen's boss, but then again, that's stupidity working at full throttle. For my own edification, I looked at the pics below the video, and IMO she looks better in the 'After' picture. Mind, she's all dolled up with the make-up and hairstyle, but I think she looks better. Did she also have a nose job?

I'm pretty sure, though, that Connie Chung never had plastic surgery. I always considered her very professional as well as attractive. Just my thoughts on all this.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't quite buy that, considering the full overhaul Chen underwent. It's not like she just had her eyes 'done.'

It's interesting to me that she addressed it at all, actually. I've long thought hers is one of the best examples of good plastic surgery I've seen - for as much work as she had I don't think she looks 'done.' However, people have been surprised more than once when something like it came up (in a bad/good celebrity work way) and I'd say how good I thought hers was, because they'd no idea she wasn't born with that face. Hence I thought she wasn't exactly into discussing it, though perhaps no one asked.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... lol JSF about my avatar.
I do appear rather bored,
though I like to refer to it as ennui ;-)

Julie Chen is attractive now.
But not in the way she was then.
Fine to have differing opinions on the matter.

You've got a point there, Cornflake.
Maybe there was more to her decision.
Still, racism played a large part.
Really crummy experiences.
Power to her for staying strong and excelling in her career.
That's the important thing, though it is sad she was pressured
into doing what she has. Hopefully, 15 years after the fact
the media industry and society in general are improved.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Good plastic surgery in that she was not left looking like a freak.

Bad plastic surgery in that part of the goal was to make her not look like a minority group based on the presumed bigotry of viewers.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
^Yeah, that. Debating over which picture is more "attractive" seems to be rather missing the point. She shouldn't have had to get surgery to appear less "Asian." That's absurd and offensive, regardless of how successful the results were.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Good plastic surgery in that she was not left looking like a freak.

Bad plastic surgery in that part of the goal was to make her not look like a minority group based on the presumed bigotry of viewers.

I meant good specifically in that she had a ton of work done and yet it looks very natural - like that's the face she was born with. Not speaking to what it did or the ethnic overtones or anything but that I think (especially based on the people I've known who didn't realize it about her), if you don't know she'd had work, you wouldn't think she had. That's all, was qualifying good surgery as person looks natural as opposed to 'done.'

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
You know how I judge whether or not someone is relatable to me?

Are they human?

All right, good, we have plenty in common!

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
I dunno, Zoom. I do look for subjects that are relatable, like shared political ideology, common interests, stuff like that. It's just that color never enters into it. I don't find much to relate to in, say, Sean Hannity.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Julie Chen wouldn't be the first journalist/entertainer, whatever the hell she is to go under the knife to enhance her career prospects. If we were to kick to the curb everyone in the news, movies, television or music that had plastic surgery or some other appearance-enhancing procedure, we wouldn't have any to kick around.

That said, I'm not surprised Chen carved herself up to make herself more appealing to someone else's standards of beauty. I look at Beyonce's blonde mane and it's simply another extension of that same pathology.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Another thing to add is that plastic surgery was/is not limited to Asians or blacks whom the producers are suggesting become more 'white'--whatever the hell that means.

Hollywood often had its white stars and starlets undergo surgery to make them more appealing, either done under the studios' aegis or it was a decision made by the actors themselves. Granted, they were white so it ain't racism and it ain't quite the same thing, but it is in line with the idea that you have to look a certain way with a certain hairstyle or 'look' to appeal to the masses.

Ms. Chen can laugh now as she's made it and good for her. It's just a shame that someone had to judge her on her looks first as opposed to her professionalism.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... yep, JSF. Judge people on their "professionalism" or ability,
or "humanness," as Zombie put's it. True, too, about the plastic
surgery surge in Hollywood. Has any actor or tv personality not
got something or other done these days?

You've got a point there, NT, about Bey's blonde wig.
Maybe just for entertainment sake? Or maybe a bit of both?
She's talented. Her voice, alone, is a strong enough selling point.

Made me sad, too, Yorkist.
As well as enraged. Really angry
when I first read the article on Julie Chen.

Still plenty of good people in the world
who aren't bigots like yourself and others here :)

Last edited:

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
This is very sad that she felt she had to change herself in order to be successful.

It goes on in the Black community as well. The skin bleaching is obvious for certain celebs and I won't speak on Lil Kim as doing so makes me teary eyed.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
This is very sad that she felt she had to change herself in order to be successful.

It goes on in the Black community as well. The skin bleaching is obvious for certain celebs and I won't speak on Lil Kim as doing so makes me teary eyed.

As someone else pointed out though, this goes on with lots of people in the entertainment industry, regardless of race.

There's a little scene in the movie Notting Hill in which Julia Roberts (playing basically Julia Roberts, she's meant to be a world-famous movie star) is playing a game of saddest tale at a dinner party with all 'regular' people. They dismiss her, as see above movie star, when she starts saying she's been on a diet every day for a decade, underwent two operations (points to her nose and chin) to get her looking like that, etc., and someday her looks will go regardless and people will discover she's not a very good actor and she'll fade into obscurity. It's a movie but the point is that even the celebrities people think of as one thing are working and somewhat engineered to be perceived that way.

Which is not to say that there isn't racism too, obviously, and different expectations and standards of beauty and etc, that people are pretty much forced to meet, but it's more universal than people think about, I think.

As to Lil Kim, I agree what she's done to herself is sad but I don't know that it has anything to do with anything but her own psychological issues. There are people not in the entertainment industry who do that sort of thing too. Jocelyn Wildenstein isn't a singer but could, at this point, be Lil Kim's mother, if judging relation by looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.