Fear, Panic, get prepared, the ice is coming....

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Yes. Education.
People are perfectly capable of understanding this stuff at the level they need, but as Yorkist pointed out a few posts back, they're content to confirm their own biases instead.
'That's too hard' is a math-Barbie answer. We can do better.

Not bad.

Except that I'm not the one saying it's too hard. I simply said we can try simplifying the message.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
When I said, "Throwing money at the problem", I was kind of thinking of starting some major terraforming efforts...not just trying to get new, greener technology out there, but what about jacking up the planet's albedo to reflect heat away from us, at least until we can figure out how to sustain quality of living without putting tons of carbon into the atmosphere.

Or, as my Dad keeps saying, "Lets paint Texas white."

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about geologically, but the "climate catastrophe fearmongering cycle" seems to be returning to the pace of the 20s and 30s.

Considering that the worst environmental catastrophe in U.S. history occurred in the mid-1930s, owing to a combination of climatic fluctuation and ignorant human cultural practices, I'd say they weren't far off track with the warnings back then.

caw

Last edited:

Kevans

Fish from another stream
Registered
Reaction score
The land is close to the "City of Rocks" and the place where the Oregon and California trails split from the Overland trail. My wife's family ran a stage stop there.

That whole area is hot, any well gives hot water.

I might even try a hot water to electric converter. I am not a survivalist, more of a, the fewer bills the better type. Grin.

Regards,
Kevin

Which hot springs are you hogging?

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
People are perfectly capable of understanding this stuff at the level they need, but as Yorkist pointed out a few posts back, they're content to confirm their own biases instead.

I'm afraid it's even worse than that. It's not pure laziness anymore, it's wishful thinking.

Why are people so willing to believe lies, even when those lies are easily disproven?

Because if they believe the lie, they don't have to go through the horror of realizing how fast the world is crumbling around them and how difficult it'll be to stop it. And they don't have to think about their own behaviour in relation to the truth either.

Somehow, we've utterly failed to create a society in which children learn early on that a painful truth is better than a comforting lie. That's not just in regards to climate, it's the #1 killer of interpersonal relationships and goddess knows what else. And now it's going to cost millions of lives.

Which makes me sad and angry.

Considering that the worst environmental catastrophe in U.S. history occurred in the mid-1930s, owing to a combination of climatic fluctuation and ignorant human cultural practices, I'd say they weren't far off track with the warnings back then.

Those who don't know history: doomed to repeat it since, well, prehistory.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
60% more surface area of ice on water is not the same thing as a lot more ice, since an ice film can be very thin. It is such an unrevelatory statistic it smacks of deliberate misinformation.

Here we go, from a fairly unbiased news source, the BBC:

Esa's Cryosat mission observes continuing Arctic winter ice decline (by Jonathan Amos)

The volume of Arctic ice this past winter was just under 15,000 cubic kilometers, less than half of what it was thirty years ago.

Is that a simple enough way of putting it for people?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Alessandra:

It needs to be part of a tale, I think, showing everything together. But that's exactly what I meant in terms of simplicity.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score