• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How often do you NOT want to write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skydragon

Registered
Reaction score
How often do you NOT want to write and have to practically glue your butt to your chair? This is happening more and more often for me lately (mainly because of video games).

Ghosts of the Maze

Registered
Reaction score
I think I've trained myself to the point where not feeling like it is an irrelevant emotion. I might fight it for a few minutes, but I'll have a drink and listen to some music, and get into it. Usually for a few hours.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
I didn't want to write this morning.

Or rather, I didn't want to go to the effort of writing. I wanted the story to come out of my head and onto the page perfect and clear and beautiful with no effort whatsoever on my part.

Mostly when this happens I say 'OK, then, you can stop after 100 words'. And 9 times out of 10 I keep going till 1000+.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
This is normal. It happens to all of us. Save the video games as a reward, and sit down and write, first.

aimeestates

MADNESS
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yarghing.com
Every day. The world is sparkly and has fun distractions like booze and people and pizza. What works for me--my office, door shut, no computer, butt on sofa, notebook and a pen.

That's it. I type things up later. There's something to be said for putting a wall up between writer-self and "other stuff."

saizine

follow your bliss
Registered
Reaction score
Mostly when this happens I say 'OK, then, you can stop after 100 words'. And 9 times out of 10 I keep going till 1000+.

There's times every day when I don't want to write. Sometimes I want to write but can't bring myself to do it, sometimes I don't want to at all and would rather read a chapter of whatever book I'm reading at the time or pop out to the shops.

I do make an effort to at least sit down and write something every day even if I don't particularly want to, though, and most of the time I have the same experience as Anninyn: I'll struggle a bit at first, then I realise I've done 200ish words and think I might as well try for 300, then I might as well try for 400, etc etc. Most of the time I'll do around 700+ words on days I have to push myself to sit in front of the keyboard (or pen and paper, as it may be), compared to 1.5k+ on days when I really get going.

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
I never want to write! But I find it's a bit like going to the gym... horrible to contemplate, but not so bad once you're there.

Besides, the sense of relief when the words are out of my head and the brain can go back to its normal, empty state is really quite soothing.

MilkChocolate

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I want to write most of the time, or work on my outlines, at least. But I have a crappy full-time job so I don't really have a lot of time to write. If I had more time to do it, I probably wouldn't want to as much.

There have been times where I haven't felt like writing. I have forced myself to take one day a week off while writing my current piece of garbage. I never write if I don't feel like it, that's just my rule for myself. I would rather enjoy doing it than feel like it's something that i have to do. It's probably different from what actual writers feel, though.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I usually want to write... when I'm not writing.

Get me in front of a keyboard, and the inner chatter starts up. Suddenly, I'm thinking of the dishes that need doing, or the hall that needs vacuuming, or the sock drawer that needs alphabetizing, or all the other things I could be writing except the story in front of me. At least, until I silence the chatter by moving my fingers and producing words.

Best case scenario: I lose myself in the writing. Worst case scenario: At least I've added more words.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I like shiny things, and TV, and my boyfriend not being mad at me, and playing with the pets. All of that leads to me wanting to actually sit in front of a keyboard and actually write once or twice a week. I still write every single day of the week. I have expectations to meet. If I don't write, I feel shitty about not writing. So I write.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never want to do the things that are good for me. :)

Koschei

eternally screaming
Registered
Reaction score
I get like this a lot. I was going to get so much writing done today but I just didn't get into the mood at all. I did do quite a bit of research, though, so at least that's something.

Riley

They won't let me be good
Registered
Reaction score
I get that all the time.

It's called discipline and knowing where your priorities are. What's more important: your writing or those video games?

Sometimes games will win out. That's okay. Well, unless you're on a deadline, in which case throw the damn games into the incinerator and plank your ass in the chair.

Or maybe just store the games in a hard-to-access place. They're too expensive to throw in the fire.

Hell, sometimes other, more pressing things win out. It's life. Again, not a big deal unless you're on deadline, in which case you'll have to figure out how to make it work.

Set yourself a daily word goal and force yourself to meet it before you can do anything else. Make a pleasant ritual out of it. For example, if you start associating writing time as a relaxing time with tea, soft music, and your imagination, you'll be more likely to want to do it. This is especially true if you have a stressful, fast-paced life.

Heather Head

Writer for Life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writerforlife.com
I'd say between 60-70% of the time. Maybe more. I have a routine to sit down and write one hour every morning before I do ANYTHING else. I do it whether I feel like it or not. Most mornings I don't feel like it.

I'm always glad to HAVE done it, however.

HNaro

Registered
Reaction score
I usually want to write... when I'm not writing.

This. Turn off my internet though and tell myself to put at least 200 words down and I'll usually fall into the groove.

C.R. Baker

Registered
Reaction score
When I take a break of a week or more from writing, it is hard to get started again. But when I am writing every day it never feels like a chore. All play time. :)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I always want to write. I don't always have an idea to write about.

hikarinotsubasa

Human, last I checked
Registered
Reaction score
If there's a bright center to the universe...
I usually DO want to write... but it turns into "Okay, after reading one more stupid website!" and it takes a long time to get started. Once I get started I usually keep going for a long time and get into it... but it's actually opening the file and getting those first few sentences out that's tough!

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
The only time I don't want to write is when I am upset. Then all I can think about is what is going on.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write for my own pleasure and satisfaction. Therefore, no pressure. If I don't feel like it, I don't. I usually do about two flash stories per week but sometimes I am just out of stories. I let it go for a week or a month and then the story ideas start coming back in my thoughts and dreams and I feel like it again. I don't want to make it something I "have to" do.

Last edited:

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
All the fucking time. Which is why I roll my eyes and gag a little when writers say "Oh, I can't NOT write! It's like breathing! I must do it or DIE!" I also notice that most of the ones who say that aren't published... but that's just anecdotal. ;)

My desire not to write is entirely a function of laziness, but it's tempered by two things: First and foremost, I want to be a writer. I want to (continue to) make a living as a writer, and that means butt in chair, hands on keyboard, go until you've done something worthy of your time.

The second thing is more recent. I developed narcolepsy a few years ago, and there are sometimes weeks or even months where I'm almost too exhaustedto keep myself and my child fed simultaneously. Getting any creative work done during those periods is absolutely out of the question, and the few times I've done it anyway (I'm strong-willed and mule-stubborn), I've given myself a migraine inside an hour (sort of like over-working muscles to the point of damage, I suppose, only with my brain. Ick.) When I think "Meh, I don't feel like writing today..." I remember how bad it feels to want to and know I can't, and suddenly it's almost criminal not to.

Oreo1909

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't written anything for about two weeks, so I would say often. I'm like that though, as I flit from one interest to another. Few stick, but the things that do slowly cement themselves into the core of that which is I. Go figure.

This week, ask me about brogues, wingtips, split toes or dress watches and I could talk with you for hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.