• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Moonstone Books

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I thought I should open a thread for Moonstone Books in case anyone wants to share experiences about them.

http://www.moonstonebooks.com/

One of my friends is having difficulty contacting them about a story that's been in limbo since 2012. She turned it in but hasn't heard from them since. I don't know if they've paid for it or not.

Granted, it's WorldCon and DragonCon weekend and they might be busy at either of them, but that doesn't excuse their not replying to repeated emails sent over the previous months.

If someone with better Google fu can turn up an actual street address and phone number for them, she might find it of help.

I've dealt with them some years ago. They turn out excellent comics and graphic works, but their business side is in need of a boot in the butt.

They have a nice corner in a niche market, but I was not impressed by the level of editing in their books. Typos and sloppy writing in some of the stories did not reflect well on them at the time. A couple of the stories were outright awful and should never have been accepted, but perhaps that editor was desperate to fill pages and not too picky. I hope things have improved in recent years. It is disrespectful to readers to serve up crap next to the gems.

The contract I got was a single work-for-hire story set in someone else's universe (they had permission). I got paid in a timely way, but apparently get zilch for any reprints.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I have one story in a fiction antho for them and have had another on sub for . . . well, since before I wrote the published one. But it's a TV tie-in so there's little to be done with it outside of them since they have the authorized rights, so...

I wait.

I think I have my old editor's email around somewhere. I'll check and see if she's still with them and what's up. :)

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Cathy, did you ever hear anything back?

I have a sub that's also been there forever. It's a piece for an anthology. It was accepted, I did the edits on a very tight deadline, then...crickets.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If nothing else, they just signed with Radio Archives to produce audio books.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
For the record, I'm still waiting. It's a specific enough piece I don't think I can sub it anywhere else at this point.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good lord - they've been sitting on it for years? You've been far more patient than I'd be in that situation.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
There's a very long story that I'm not up to sharing in public yet. But I will say that I wasn't as much patient as not having enough spoons to deal with it. I had some serious family stuff going on. I won't bore y'all with details, but that consumed much of my time for longer than it should have. I am pursuing this now.