Creating an online presence using a pen name

MaggieTCat

Registered
Reaction score
I just published my first book to Kindle this week. For reasons I won't get into here I decided to publish under a pen name (Emma Ortiz).

Holy cow! I had no idea how hard it would be to establish a social media presence using a pen name and not have it easily traceable to my real name.

I bought a domain name, got an email address for it, and started using that as my contact info for facebook and Pinterest. I will be working on getting a small website up in the next few days. I set up a personal profile and an author page for Emma on facebook. I know facebook can terminate my account if they find out I'm not real, but based on other profiles I've seen, I'm assuming they're not real sticklers about that.

I've joined a few facebook groups that are relevant to my book. I'm trying to post on them as much as is reasonable without seeming creepy. I'm just hoping enough people will eventually ask what I do so I can direct them to my book. I know coming right out and posting my book is a no no. Do you think it would be ok to eventually post a special offer of free downloads to the group (via Kindle Select)? I wouldn't be asking them to buy anything. I would just like to get some buzz started.

I've debated about starting a blog, but I don't know that I have the time to devote to that right now. I'm working on book #2 and between writing and establishing my new social sites I feel like I have a full plate. How important do you guys think a blog is? Especially if I don't have a lot of time to keep it updated.

I still need to start an author profile page on Amazon, fill out the about me info, and so many other things. It feels a little overwhelming right now. When do writers have time to write? lol

Any input and advice is appreciated.

-May-

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Maggie,

I have a little experience in this - let me start out with what Ive done and why to give a little info

I'm in digital marketing (SEO, Social Media, etc). Because of this, I use a "pen name" for my "professional" persona. Really it's just an alternate spelling of my real name. I chose the pen name because my social profiles need to be very visible to the public for networking, etc. I don't want to spam my friends and family with marketing related posts, and I don't necessarily want potential clients or professional acquaintances seeing my "real life" posts (some of my clients are really well known companies, and my personal posts and sense of humor are not necessarily what I'd want them to see)

For this reason I needed the ability to have two sets of social media accounts, and it would be weird to look up [name here] and see two profiles for the same person - plus people wouldn't know which one to follow. Hope that makes sense - this still confuses some people, but it works for me :)

So here is my advice based on what Ive done, and learned from seeing other people do.

1. Don't use a fake photo and claim its you.
2. Don't not use a photo (I know, double negative)
3. If you have to, use a logo or find someone on fiverr to make a neat avatar for you.
4. Be authentic. Even though this isn't your real name - it still needs to be you. People will see through anything that isn't authentic and immediately be put off or feel uneasy.
5. Concentrate on making friends and networking before trying to promote anything. You'll find that promotion will come easily once this is done.
6. It will be a little more difficult building up a presence without a blog. Basically you are building relationships and not a "presence". I personally consider a "presence" to be sites that can be found online under said name (such as a blog or website as well as social sites). Generally this should include a blog with posts as this allows for thought leadership, and can serve to humanize you a bit.
7. Blogs are a lot of work (you seem to know this which is good). Wait until you can devote some time to it. A good idea might be to write posts and just store them on your computer until you have a reasonable amount that you can use as a backlog if life gets in the way. That way you can keep a semi-consistent schedule. If you are just blogging for fun on the other hand, just post when you feel like it, no worries.

I hope that helped some :)

MaggieTCat

Registered
Reaction score
That helps a lot! Thank you!

I think I'm on the right track then. I have not posted any fake photos, and don't intend to. I have thought about using personal photos where you can't really tell it's me or make out all of my features.

I think I will take your advice and hold off on the blog until I can do it right. I will just concentrate on the website for now.

And I totally get why you use a pen name. I have a business reputation and clients who would not understand the writer side of me.