Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
There is no genre called "Other world fantasy" or "secondary world fantasy". Those both describe a setting trope, as in "not Earth". And even then, the term I've mostly encountered is "secondary world" fantasy. I've almost never heard "Other world" fantasy used in genre discussion as a term rather than a spontaneous utterance.

My apologies -- indeed I meant a within-genre trope or description of setting, not a sub genre as such (though I have heard it used as such). My bad. It was late, there may have been beer :D

But other world...has a different meaning entirely. Otherworldly comes across as more afterlife/spiritual (to me), and that carries across to using Other World. Besides which, why make up a new term when there already is one that serves very well and everyone knows what it means?

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/other-world-fantasy
You mean that one doesn't exist? Other World Fantasy is a subgenre. Secondary World is sometimes used,but not so much or the same reason I highlighted.

Besides, you have also more than 2 worlds, which is why Secondary World doesn't make sense. Other World has also been codified by Brandon Sanderson and other Sci-fi authors. Google brought it up. Quite a few hits. Look it up.

It's been in use, as far as I know since the 1990's, though it probably dates much earlier.

Others have already answered this. -But I'll add "secondary" in this context means as opposed to "primary", and "primary" is Earth.

Because you made a sweeping statement that myth and legend and religion were the same thing and those two things always went with religion. So to defeat that argument, I need the one example.

Math logic. If someone says, "All" you just have to point to "one" to defeat it.

I'm totally lost here. The quotes here starts with me asking for a clarification of whether you mean Secondary World Fantasy. Which is also why I asked what Arthur had to do with it. This is not making it any clearer.

Not what you originally stated. You stated all Heroic Fantasy and all Epic Fantasy are the same subgenre as Secondary World Fantasy. They are separate, but can overlap. I quoted the sentence for you where you made the statement.

The subject here is Fantasy. You are trying a derail.

No, this is what I said: "[...]both Epic Fantasy and Heroic Fantasy are subgenres of Secondary World Fantasy." And that is close enough to what most people agree upon that they at least understands where that comes from.

I'm not sure how you get derail from Fantasy out of "[...]but that doesn't have any bearing on current genre definitions. -There's also epic and heroic stories that are not Fantasy." -It's actually a statement about what I am putting aside, and not debating here.

You missed reading the statement properly. I'll give you a chance to read again.

And yet...

You restate that your assumptions were correct yet again here.

No... still don't seem to get that legend and myth are different. (point 1)
That myth and legend are not always tied to religion Point 2.
And Point three that somehow exempting Judeo Christians from having any myths is rather religiously intolerant.
And Point four (which I edited in) There were definitely religions that were invented after Judeo-Christian religions were. With myths and legends to boot.

I made a minor point I'm not using the other definition of myth, which comes second in most dictionaries.

I think I'll have to requote this for you:

I quoted from the OP:
I have an odd itch to read about that age of wonders, too see if it makes for an interesting setting and the epic heroes make interesting characters.
Any recommendations?

And answered with:
That would be almost any reigious text that pre-dates Christianity/Judaism/islam, in its specific area. (Example: Norse Religion pre-dates Christianity in Norway up to at least 1000 A.D.) Basically look at any non-Monotheistic religion and I think you'll find what you are looking for. -Personally I find Native American and Australian/Pacific myths and legends especially interesting, but that is a matter of personal taste I think. If I were you, I'd find a "World Mythology" reference work and see what religion/region, or individual myth/legend caught my eye. Since you are writing fiction, there's no reason why you couldn't pick and choose from different culture's myths/legeds.

I gave a recommendation. Based on quite a lot of books I have read myself, and numerous other books I have seen. And I still stand by that recommendation. -It's not a statement about anything else.

Just because one culture originated them, doesn't mean when it's put into the Bible that it's no longer a myth. I stand by the negation effect I put forward. Noah's flood is a Myth. It tells the creation of the Red Sea (It was either red or black, but names never were a great thing with me). Judeo Christian religions do not get an exemption from calling Genesis and Noah's Flood myths.

And Gilgamesh, BTW, while well-known, isn't the only one in the given area. Nor necessarily the first.

And I also stand by the statement that IIRC It was the creation of the Red Sea. Archaeology proved that. (Especially since the flood was mentioned across cultures.)

See above, but I guess I can just repeat it again: It was a recommendation about books to read.

I used the flood myth in the Epic of Gilgamesh to make the point that the Bible is also myth.

And I read a lot about archaeology, including B.A.R. (Biblical Archaeology Review) occasionally, I can guarantee that the "Noah's flood is real" theory is about the Black Sea.

I think Roxxmom has it better. I think you missed it.

I read it, and think it was good.

You still don't seem to get what a myth is... it's fine being wrong, and foot in mouth is fine with me--I do it too. Doubling down bugs me, though.

Again, I state, read more myths and legends! I actually find it fun. Especially since such things tell about codifying parts of the culture they belong to. Read some folktales too.

Learn about Coyote, Anansi... tar baby, gumiho, firebirds... Rose Red and Snow White, 'cause you'll see the range that they take and how much those cultures they belong to have tried to explain things about their life to others in their culture.

Even the stork story about bringing babies is a myth of sorts. Definitely dates after Judeo-Christian since chimneys weren't invented until later.

I'll quote you here:

The subject here is Fantasy. You are trying a derail.

And that is also why I have not gone into the level of detail I could have when it comes to /myth/legend/religion, and I have no intention of doing so in this thread either.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Getting back on track: Can anyone suggest other epic "time of legends" fantasies that manage to make such a setting interesting?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
"Mythic fantasy" may not be the best term for what the OP had in mind, but I'm not sure if "basic epic fantasy" is the best term either.

The OP seemed to be thinking about works set in "super-magical" worlds. That is, the world is one where really strong magic (and/or other fantastic elements) shows up on a routine basis.

I'm sure you can find examples of fantasies like that, but they're hard to write well. When there's too much magic around, things get hard for readers to relate to. If there are super-powerful wizards on every street corner, and they're having to fight against some sort of super-duper-powerful wizard, the rules of the conflict can wind up seeming awfully arbitrary. And if there's enough magic to solve any ordinary problem, then it may be a real stretch to come up with interesting problems that will generate conflict.

So, yes, I think there's a reason fantasies of that sort are a bit scarce.

I think it hinges on Sanderson's first and second laws of magic in fantasy. The idea is that if you want magic to be a pervasive part of your story, something that characters can use to solve problems etc., it had better be limited and follow some pretty stringent rules (aka a hard magic system). If you want magic to be there to create a sense of wonder and mystery in the setting and to have fewer implied limits or rules (aka soft magic), it is better for it to be something that crops up less frequently and to not be something the protagonists use to get themselves out of messes (though it could get them into some messes).

Of course, these are just the opinion of one author, and not every fantasy reader loves Sanderson. But I thought the articles made a certain amount of sense and articulated something I'd been unconsciously trying to achieve in my own work--that sense of balance with regards to magic.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Getting back on track: Can anyone suggest other epic "time of legends" fantasies that manage to make such a setting interesting?

There are the Fafherd and the Gray Mouser books by Fritz Leiber. There's definitely a classic, heroic feel, and magic abounds in their world.

Maybe Patrick Rothfuss's books have a bit of a mythic feel?

I'm a bad one to ask, as a glance at my shelves suggests that I have a strong preference for stories with a "harder," more limited and defined, magic system and heroes who aren't exactly larger than life in most ways.

Two writers who have themes related to restoring older, more mythic, magic into their worlds would be Robin Hobbs (especially her Liveship Traders and Rain Wilds books), and Mercedes Lackey's Velgarth books. Not sure if that sort of thing interests you as well. In these cases, the status quo is a world or society where magic is a muted remnant of what it once was, but as the series progress, the actions of the characters rediscover or restore it.

Last edited:

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Here are two rather obscure novels that deal with theomachy - gods vs. gods - which is as powerful and bygone as you can get.

1. Lord of the Crooked Paths - Patrick Adkins
2. To Reign in Hell - Steven Brust