• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Valancourt Books

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Valancourt Books is primarily a publisher of reprints of rare (extremely rare) books such as 18th and 19th century Gothics. (Oooooh.) But I noticed that they are now reprinting hard-to-find 20th century books, so I thought I'd start a thread on them. Just in case any published authors around here are looking at potential new homes for old stories. I can't find much information about submissions. The page is mainly geared toward readers, which is of course a good sign for a publisher. :)

Here is the URL thingie:
http://valancourtbooks.com/

ETA: The usual questions... Has anyone had any dealings with them, how were they, etc.? Can anyone find their submission requirements for living authors/estates? While I don't qualify (although I wrote a couple of articles for Gothic Journal :D), I am curious about what they are looking for in case any authors I know are curious enough to ask. (Obviously they are not dealing with the authors who wrote the Gothics from the 1790s. If they were, that would make a great book.)

BTW I see that they have reprinted The Amulet by Michael McDowell! That might be one of the ultimate 1970s horror novels. :D And I've already spent more money on their Gothic reprints that I should have.

Last edited:

tsrosenberg

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsrosenberg.wordpress.com
Valancourt published my edition of the 1889 Mona Caird novel The Wing of Azrael:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1934555940/?tag=absowrit-21

I can't remember how I found Valancourt, but I was definitely looking for a publisher that would bring out a scholarly edition, with all the critical apparatus and attention to textual variants. I wrote my PhD on Caird so I had the background to write the introduction and research the (many, many) footnotes, and I like to think I did a pretty good job. :)

This was several years ago, so I've forgotten most of the details and have no information about what they're currently looking for, but I had a good relationship with them and would not hesitate to recommend them.