Killing Off Character In First Chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMach5

Registered
Reaction score
So, in my current WiP the MC's motives heavily depend on his father's death. Well, murder. His initial goal is to find the man that murdered his father, which eventually branches out into multiple things along the way. However, I see that in the three act format that the first crises doesn't occur until about the middle of Act 1.

Do you think that killing off the MC's father in the very first chapter would be equally effective as doing it later on? And are there any novels that come to mind when the disaster strikes in the first chapter?

The one that comes to my head immediately is the Hunger Games. First chapter is the day of the selection thing, and at the end her sister is selected.

jdmaccombs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jdmaccombs.blogspot.com
What is the PoV you use in your story?

If you can make the first chapter engaging and avoid your typical "parent death," then I don't think there's anything wrong with killing off a character to set things into motion for the MC. And keep in mind that you will still need something to build to for the end of the first act, so if the MC's death is the only event you can think of, then it likely should be saved for later.

BlueMach5

Registered
Reaction score
What is the PoV you use in your story?

Third person limited, though I have two MC's that are separated by chapter.

if the MC's death is the only event you can think of, then it likely should be saved for later

That's an interesting point. I'll have to think about that. I have a ton of plot points I want to fit in, maybe I can move some of those to before. I would just have to find a goal of his that is actually interesting.

BlueMach5

Registered
Reaction score
Oh thanks Fizgig! I'll take a look at those.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
One warning. Had two of my novels where a main character (not the prime) died early. Still got five star reviews but a couple critiquers and readers didn't like it. Why? Because they became attached to the character and didn't like seeing them eliminated. May be realistic but many don't read for realism, more for comfort and release. Just highlighting the possibilities. I've still killed off important characters, but I accept some may not like it.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
It's not unusual to kill people quickly in murder mysteries. Some books will start after the victim is already dead. It's not the only approach, but you'll see it often enough.

It sounds like the murder is the event that sets the ball rolling and gives the main character his goal - finding his father's murderer. He can't start towards that goal until his father dies. So if you wait, you'll have chapters of waffle before the father dies and the plot can get going.

Mysteries that don't have the death early on also have different goals. The goal might be to find out what's going on at the manor house or find out what the people in the village are hiding. In those cases, the murder happens later, because finding the murderer isn't the main mystery. It's a complication which raises the stakes.

BlueMach5

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Polenth and, Michael Davis. That helps out!

Status
Not open for further replies.