Looking for a (probably out of print) YA book

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
About 15 years ago (late '90s), I glanced at a YAish book about a paralyzed teenage boy - late high school, maybe college. I think he was the MC, but a girl may have been. the guy and girl were friends but not necessary BF/GF. I can't remember the plot.

It wasn't a Lurlene McDaniel-style book. It seemed more gritty.

Does anyone know the book I'm thinking of? It's been bugging me because I've been doing research on characters with disabilities. I've Googled endlessly and have come up with nothing.

ETA: The guy in the story is either a paraplegic or very high functioning quadriplegic. It talks some about his rehab, but he's at home for most of the story as best I can remember.

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Dive From Clausen's Pier? The girl had dated the guy for like a minute when he wound up diving into a boulder. Then stuff happens...it's not that great tbh. If you want a good book, I really like Head Case by Sarah Aronson.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen The Dive from Clausen's Pier during my search. It's not the one. I've read excerpts from Head Case, and I liked it. It's on my to read list.

Thanks for the ideas, Kitty! :)

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know the book you're talking about, but I used to love Izzy, Willy-Nilly by Cynthia Voigt. It's been a while since I've read it, but it does deal with a teenager with a disability.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The answer is here or it doesn't exist.

It's THE place for finding the title/author of 'I read this book as a kid...' You enter keywords (under the green letters, like 2/3rds down the page), and you'll get all results that match.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Cornflake! I haven't found it yet, but scrolling through pages of queries started to make my eyes cross. I'll keep checking back there. :)