NetGalley, anyone?

Musie

Exalted Tribal Founder
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here a member of NetGalley? (It is located here if you want to take a peek.)

For those who don't know, it's a website where you can request digital titles that are either shortly to be published or have been very recently published, in return for a book review written on a blog as well as sent straight to the publisher via the link at the website. It's only for those who have ereaders, though.

If you are a member, what are you reading from it now? what genre grabs your interest the most frequently? have you run across any utterly awesome books you'd like to recommend?

I usually pick from the YA/NA categories, because the books are quicker to read and also tend to hold my attention (some of the adult books are a bit more rambly, at least, the ones I've tried), and I am also working on writing YA/NA myself so I need to have a good grasp of the field. :)

Right now I'm working on My Basmati Bat Mitzvah by Paula Freedman. It's more of a MG book but I am really enjoying how well Ms. Freedman captured the essence of what it's like being a 12 year old girl. Been awhile since I was that age but I can definitely empathize with how the protagonist feels sometimes, since I remember feeling the same way when I was her age. :D I mostly grabbed it because it has an interesting premise, about a girl trying to find her way between being Indian but also being a Jew.

One that I loved was Slumber by Tamara Blake, and also Lives of Magic by Lucy Leiderman.

Am interested to see if anyone else is a member and if so, what y'all are reading from NetGalley!! :)

Almondjoy

Keep moving forward <3
Registered
Reaction score
When I first started blogging, I went a bit crazy on there, haha. But now that I've been blogging for a while, I tend to request more from there, so that I don't get bogged down with all of those.

Because I'm a YA blogger, I request YA as well! =) I just got approved for These Broken Stars by Amy Spooner and Megan Kauffman, which I was really excited about. I am just about to start Not A Drop To Drink by Mindy McGinnis, which sounds fantastic.

I saw the book that you're reading, and I'm glad to hear it's so cute! :D

Musie

Exalted Tribal Founder
Registered
Reaction score
These Broken Stars looks really good!! I just looked it up on Goodreads, and I love the cover art they have featured. :)

I still haven't quite discovered my niche in the blogging world, so I read and review all sorts of (fiction) books. Mostly YA these days, though, as I said... I really am having fun seeing what sorts of books are out there now for teens. So different from when I was a kid, I tell ya!! :D

(It really is. So much more sex/romance/etc. And paranormal has really taken off, too!!)

I finished My Basmati Bat Mitzvah - it was really adorable. :) I'm glad I picked it up to read - the author is gonna be on my radar from now on. That one was her debut novel and IMO she did a fantastic job.

Next one that I'll be reading is Bullying Under Attack - it's true stories from bullies, victims, and bystanders. For once, a nonfiction book, but it's close enough to a memoir that I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it. ;) It was advertised in the NetGalley newsletter email thingy, so you probably saw it, Almond, if you get/read those. Hopefully it's as good as it sounds. :D

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I read Personal Effects by EM Kokie (AW's suki) from there. (Awesome book. Can't recommend it highly enough.)

NetGalley is easy to use and convenient, but I work on a computer all day and write on one at night, so I still prefer printed ARCs when I can get them.

I review for buddyhollywood.com when I can, but I've been so busy I haven't reviewed much lately.

Musie

Exalted Tribal Founder
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, Personal Effects sounds really good. Of course. :) Marked for my TBR list.

I understand wanting to have paperback ARCs if possible. I was the same way for awhile but then I realized how much room books take up (I live in a pretty small apartment with nowhere near enough bookshelf space!!). So I'm happy with eARCs since they don't clutter up my apartment at all.