• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

TouchPoint Press (Sheri Ables)

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
Here we go again. Another agent turned publisher. Sheri Williams woke up one morning, looked in the mirror and Shazam, she discovered she was becoming a publisher. I had signed with her (Red Writing hood Ink.) but soon discovered she was not going to do anything for me and ended my association with her. She sent me an email about her new venture and asked me to publish with her, but I declined. Check it out.
http://touchpointpress.com

Last edited by a moderator:

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Well it's a "professional" business using wordpress.com as a main web presence, and using the default theme, no less. That's all I really need to know (I'm kind of a snob, I know, but it's a pet peeve).

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, dear GOD, NO!

Sheri was my agent too and she did absolute shit for me. Dealing with Sheri is a BIG waste of time.

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
TouchPoint publishes titles across multiple genres and subgenres. Our focus is not so much on a specific genre or subgenre, but on acquiring manuscripts that are exceptionally well-written, fast-paced, and engaging.

As oppose to publishers that prefer to specialize in poorly-written, plodding and boring manuscripts?

Last edited:

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
As oppose to publishers that prefer to specialize in poorly-written, plodding and boring manuscripts?

Hahaha, actually, this would describe the majority of manuscripts of quite a number of author-mill small (e)publishers whose books I've browsed or downloaded free portions of from Shashwords. Poorly-written, plodding, and boring indeed, although the last is the most subjective category of the three.

Poisonfan2005

Registered
Reaction score
Don't do it! They're business is shady. They don't keep the author informed on anything! I had to wait almost 10 months for the cover art, and they didn't even ask my opinion on it! They make you do most of the edits, and don't help you at all with them! No advice, no guide, nothing! Not to mention they never respond to emails! Sheri is rude, and doesn't like it when you ask questions, or make your displeasure with Touchpoint known. Save yourself the hassle!

weeksb1954

Registered
Reaction score
No to TPP

I would caution anyone considering signing with TouchPoint Press to think long and hard before joining this bunch. They did not communicate with me, they did little if any promotion of my book and they were rude and threatening when I voiced concern over their inactivity and shady practices. I am surprised they have managed to continue this long in that they work in the gray area between legal and illegal business practices. They prey upon novice writers that want desperately to be published and use and abuse them because they are afraid to speak up or don't understand what is happening! My recommendation would be to stay away from TouchPoint Press, Sheri Williams Ables or anyone that recommends them to you!

Last edited:

Streat Bug

Registered
Reaction score
No to TPP

I would caution anyone considering signing with TouchPoint Press to think long and hard before joining this bunch. They did not communicate with me, they did little if any promotion of my book and they were rude and threatening when I voiced concern over their inactivity and shady practices. I am surprised they have managed to continue this long in that they work in the gray area between legal and illegal business practices. They prey upon novice writers that want desperately to be published and use and abuse them because they are afraid to speak up or don't understand what is happening! My recommendation would be to stay away from TouchPoint Press, Sheri Williams Ables or anyone that recommends them to you!
TouchPoint engages in a practice called Manuscript Hoarding.

Manuscript Hoarding
is a legal way for a publishing house to acquire manuscripts first and then decide whether it wants to publish them. The practice is highly unethical but legal, and Sheri Williams at TouchPoint practices it. Here’s what the practice looked like when it happened to me:

I submitted a query to TouchPoint. Within hours, they asked for a full manuscript. Less than two weeks later, Touchpoint offered me a contract for the manuscript and another manuscript in the series (without reading the second manuscript). Sheri Williams personally put pressure on me to sign the contract because she was “ready to start rolling.” I signed, very happy at the time.

I never received a contract for the second book, but the contract for the first book had a clause that specified TouchPoint had right of first refusal on any manuscript that had similar themes, plot, characters, or settings, as did the second book in the series.

Granted, this clause is standard in many publishing contracts and benefits a writer because it lets a writer publish a book series without having to find a new publisher for each book in the series. The clause would not have been a problem had TouchPoint actually published the first manuscript. Instead, TouchPoint kept the first manuscript hostage for ONE AND A HALF YEARS, not publishing it and not allowing me to submit the second book in the series to another publisher because of the clause.

Despite many emails to several TouchPoint employees, I did not hear anything from the company for almost eight months after I sigthe contract. Not one word. Really, I thought they had all died and nobody had found them yet. Eventually, I wrote a blast of emails to everyone at TouchPoint, and someone wrote back to say she had nothing to report. I wrote back to the person. Crickets. Several more months of silence ensued. More emails. More silence. No galleys. No cover. No explanations.

One month before the date on the contract legally mandated that TouchPoint release the book (and after several more blasts of emails), someone wrote that my book was scheduled for released on the following month and that galleys and cover would be forthcoming. A few days passed. I wrote back asking about the galleys and the cover. I got an auto-respond from the person who had sent the email earlier saying that she had stepped down and to contact Sheri Williams the publisher. I did but didn’t hear from Sheri Williams at all. I wrote again. And again. No answer. (BTW, the person who stepped down is still listed on the TouchPoint site as an employee as of this writing.)

When the contract due date came, and TouchPoint Press failed to produce a book, I sent TouchPoint a reversal of rights request. This legal document reclaims my right to submit to other publishers based on a broken contract. Within hours, Sheri Williams who’d been M.I.A. for a 1.5 years wrote back saying that the company was a “little” behind schedule and that she had the galleys and covers ready to send to me and that they would publish the book in six months if I signed a contract extension.

I said no and insisted on getting back my rights. Quite frankly, I do not believe she had galleys or a cover. If you have galleys and cover, you don’t need six months to publish. Much of requiring a year and a half to produce galleys and a cover has to do with scheduling, not with actually doing the work.

Eventually, Sheri Williams signed the reversal of rights and offered to SELL TO ME the bit of work she claims an editor did on the manuscript at the rate of .01 per word. This practice is also highly unethical and frowned upon in the industry.

I got back my rights and immediately sent the manuscripts to another publisher that had expressed interested in them. I now have a contract with the new publisher for both books. I don’t know what issues the new publisher will present, but I can tell you:

Don’t sign on with TouchPoint or Sheri Williams (a.k.a, Sheri Ables). At best, everyone at TouchPoint is incompetent. At worst, their practices are shady. In all cases, their lack of communication is rude and unprofessional. And TouchPoint doesn’t publish books it commits to publish.

Tessa95014

Registered
Reaction score
Here we go again. Another agent turned publisher. Sheri Williams woke up one morning, looked in the mirror and Shazam, she discovered she was becoming a publisher. I had signed with her (Red Writing hood Ink.) but soon discovered she was not going to do anything for me and ended my association with her. She sent me an email about her new venture and asked me to publish with her, but I declined. Check it out.
http://touchpointpress.com
You made the right decision.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Manuscript Hoarding
is a legal way for a publishing house to acquire manuscripts first and then decide whether it wants to publish them. The practice is highly unethical but legal, and Sheri Williams at TouchPoint practices it. Here’s what the practice looked like when it happened to me:

I submitted a query to TouchPoint. Within hours, they asked for a full manuscript. Less than two weeks later, Touchpoint offered me a contract for the manuscript and another manuscript in the series (without reading the second manuscript). Sheri Williams personally put pressure on me to sign the contract because she was “ready to start rolling.” I signed, very happy at the time.

I never received a contract for the second book, but the contract for the first book had a clause that specified TouchPoint had right of first refusal on any manuscript that had similar themes, plot, characters, or settings, as did the second book in the series.

Granted, this clause is standard in many publishing contracts and benefits a writer because it lets a writer publish a book series without having to find a new publisher for each book in the series. The clause would not have been a problem had TouchPoint actually published the first manuscript. Instead, TouchPoint kept the first manuscript hostage for ONE AND A HALF YEARS, not publishing it and not allowing me to submit the second book in the series to another publisher because of the clause.

Despite many emails to several TouchPoint employees, I did not hear anything from the company for almost eight months after I sigthe contract. Not one word. Really, I thought they had all died and nobody had found them yet. Eventually, I wrote a blast of emails to everyone at TouchPoint, and someone wrote back to say she had nothing to report. I wrote back to the person. Crickets. Several more months of silence ensued. More emails. More silence. No galleys. No cover. No explanations.

One month before the date on the contract legally mandated that TouchPoint release the book (and after several more blasts of emails), someone wrote that my book was scheduled for released on the following month and that galleys and cover would be forthcoming. A few days passed. I wrote back asking about the galleys and the cover. I got an auto-respond from the person who had sent the email earlier saying that she had stepped down and to contact Sheri Williams the publisher. I did but didn’t hear from Sheri Williams at all. I wrote again. And again. No answer. (BTW, the person who stepped down is still listed on the TouchPoint site as an employee as of this writing.)

When the contract due date came, and TouchPoint Press failed to produce a book, I sent TouchPoint a reversal of rights request. This legal document reclaims my right to submit to other publishers based on a broken contract. Within hours, Sheri Williams who’d been M.I.A. for a 1.5 years wrote back saying that the company was a “little” behind schedule and that she had the galleys and covers ready to send to me and that they would publish the book in six months if I signed a contract extension.

I said no and insisted on getting back my rights. Quite frankly, I do not believe she had galleys or a cover. If you have galleys and cover, you don’t need six months to publish. Much of requiring a year and a half to produce galleys and a cover has to do with scheduling, not with actually doing the work.

Eventually, Sheri Williams signed the reversal of rights and offered to SELL TO ME the bit of work she claims an editor did on the manuscript at the rate of .01 per word. This practice is also highly unethical and frowned upon in the industry.

I got back my rights and immediately sent the manuscripts to another publisher that had expressed interested in them. I now have a contract with the new publisher for both books. I don’t know what issues the new publisher will present, but I can tell you:

Don’t sign on with TouchPoint or Sheri Williams (a.k.a, Sheri Ables). At best, everyone at TouchPoint is incompetent. At worst, their practices are shady. In all cases, their lack of communication is rude and unprofessional. And TouchPoint doesn’t publish books it commits to publish.
I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Have you contacted Victoria Strauss of Writer Beware? She keeps tabs on shady operators in the publishing business and can make a wider audience aware of their sketchy practices.

Reactions: dickson

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I'm so sorry you had to go through this, but I'm so grateful to you for sharing your experience here so that other writers will have this information at their disposal.

And welcome to Absolute Write! You are warmly encouraged to hop over to the New Members section and start a thread to introduce yourself. We'd love to know the genres you write in, what you like to read, and what hemisphere you hail from :)

M.E. Proctor

Registered
Reaction score

Manuscript Hoarding

Your experience with TouchPoint Press is identical to mine. No publication within the 18 months after delivery of final manuscript. I also sent a reversion of rights letter and requested that the MS be returned as specified in the contract. It's been over a month now and there has been no response whatsoever. No reaction. Other TouchPoint authors are in the same (or worse) situation. Victoria Strauss posted a blog today: https://writerbeware.blog/2023/06/3...laide-books-propertius-press-touchpoint-press

Reactions: mrsmig

Ruth Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
My experience is also very similar to yours, though my 18 months aren't quite up yet. Like you, I have a sequel: But my contract states that they have 60 days to exercise first right of refusal, and after that I'm free to market the work anywhere. I don't fully understand how manuscript hoarding benefits the publisher--is it just to have the power to publish--or not publish--at their own convenience? They did have to invest something in the acquisition and editing process. Anyway, I'm so sorry you and many other have had to contend with this, and I sure hope you didn't have to pay a penny a word to get your rights back?! Congratulations on the new contract and best of luck.

S.M. Stevens

Registered
Reaction score

Manuscript Hoarding

Hi Streat Bug - My 18-month contract expired after a TPP editor did some work on the ms. so I have been wondering if I am able to "keep" the edits they made. (Slippery concept - I might have made some of the same edits on my own in subsequent reviews.) I'm assuming you did not pay her for the edits so I'm wondering: (1) any fallout after you moved on and presumably kept their edits? (2) Do you happen to have any more info on this statement you made - I haven't been able to find anything: "This practice is also highly unethical and frowned upon in the industry." Thanks so much!

S.M. Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Streat Bug - My 18-month contract expired after a TPP editor did some work on the ms. so I have been wondering if I am able to "keep" the edits they made. (Slippery concept - I might have made some of the same edits on my own in subsequent reviews.) I'm assuming you did not pay her for the edits so I'm wondering: (1) any fallout after you moved on and presumably kept their edits? (2) Do you happen to have any more info on this statement you made - I haven't been able to find anything: "This practice is also highly unethical and frowned upon in the industry." Thanks so much!
Replying again because after another search, I did find this article: https://writerbeware.blog/2021/03/19/contract-red-flag-when-a-publisher-claims-copyright-on-edits/

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Streat Bug - My 18-month contract expired after a TPP editor did some work on the ms. so I have been wondering if I am able to "keep" the edits they made.
S.M. Stevens, no one on Absolute Write can offer legal advice or parse your contract for you; you'll need to consult with a lawyer who specialises in the area to determine where your work stands on this issue.

Reactions: Brigid Barry

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Sheri Williams. I always knew she was shady. I had a bad feeling even before I signed with her back 2011 when she was an agent. As soon as I did, I knew I made a mistake. She was a bullshitter then, and she's an even bigger bullshitter now. Luckily, she wasn't my agent for long. I terminated her after about 5 months of getting the run around, I couldn't trust her. Oh, boy oh boy, my gut was right!!! It's a shame she's been around so long, effecting writers in a horrible way. I warned people here and everywhere about her, but somehow things slipped through the cracks and she was still able to screw more people over.

kittymowmow

Registered
Reaction score
My experience is also very similar to yours, though my 18 months aren't quite up yet. Like you, I have a sequel: But my contract states that they have 60 days to exercise first right of refusal, and after that I'm free to market the work anywhere. I don't fully understand how manuscript hoarding benefits the publisher--is it just to have the power to publish--or not publish--at their own convenience? They did have to invest something in the acquisition and editing process. Anyway, I'm so sorry you and many other have had to contend with this, and I sure hope you didn't have to pay a penny a word to get your rights back?! Congratulations on the new contract and best of luck.
The letter authors got said she was in a mental hospital because some of the authors were making too much drama & stressed her out (there's a link on Writer Beware I think), so nothing got done while she was gone cause even staff didn't know. Everyone thought she was in a regular hospital with like, deadly covid or something, but it didn't make sense for it to last so long. Many authors are in this boat.

But there's no investment in "the acquisition and editing process" for the pub. We sign the contract for free, publishing is free (TPP uses Ingram, but until recently used KDP, which is free --So we got royalties after Amazon got their share and TPP took their share, too) and editors get paid a percent that comes out of the publishers' share after it's published. (I don't know about cover artists). When we get our rights back, the editors don't even get paid at all. My editor is nice. This is a staff review. >> (https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Touchpoint-Press/reviews/you-re-entirely-on-your-own?id=3783609fdf40cb4f) For the rights, Sheri offers authors to buy the edits to pay the editor, and if you don't, I think the thing says you can't legally use that version. And the new contract has a clause where you can't talk about TPP, so some authors didn't sign it. But I didn't read that myself, so it's hearsay.

The lady I spoke to said, the staff are all remote and never meet each other and that's why they don't know anything. Sheri scams her employees. And she does all the main stuff like galleys, publishing and some covers. None of that costs TPP a dime.
We were told that everyone would get paid by Jan 31. sorry. that was a long way to say-no investment to take on tons of manuscripts.