• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[ePub] MyInkBooks

breaking_burgundy

Registered
Reaction score
I recently received a review request from an author. I assumed the book was self-published, but when I actually received my e-copy of the book, it was from a company called MyInkBooks. The email contained a few grammatical errors, and offered to enter me into a contest for $500, which set off some warning bells.

I checked out their website, and by the looks of things, MyInkBooks is some kind of ebook vanity publisher/website building service. It doesn't specify their prices on the website, but given that everything about it seems sketchy and unprofessional, and their idea of marketing is "your book will show up in the first two pages of Google results," it's hard for me to believe that the author is getting a good deal.

Should I warn the author? I'm no guru on self-publishing, but I'm sure she could put her future books out for a lot cheaper if she published through Smashwords and hired a separate editor and cover designer.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
Adding a link: http://www.MyInkBooks.com/

We believe that eBook publishing is the way of the future, we do however offer paper publishing (We offer this as an outsourced service with the same attention to detail that we expect when you go with us for digital print).

Apparently the attention to detail doesn't include fixing comma splices.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Does it seem like the author might go to pieces at a three star or lower review? If so, it may not be worth the time. If the author has already 'bought in' to a possible vanity club, she may not be objective about other things. I would only touch it if the book is brilliant.

Some things to note about the publisher: they do not have direct buy links to their authors from their site. (Actually they do, the links go to the authors' sites. But I had to open in another browser to get the pub site to work.) And their first-mentioned book 'What About God?' was originally published by Author House in 2009.

Last edited:

MyInkBooks

Registered
Reaction score
We are not a Vanity Press!

I recently received a review request from an author. I assumed the book was self-published, but when I actually received my e-copy of the book, it was from a company called MyInkBooks. The email contained a few grammatical errors, and offered to enter me into a contest for $500, which set off some warning bells.

I checked out their website, and by the looks of things, MyInkBooks is some kind of eBook vanity publisher/website building service. It doesn't specify their prices on the website, but given that everything about it seems sketchy and unprofessional, and their idea of marketing is "your book will show up in the first two pages of Google results," it's hard for me to believe that the author is getting a good deal.

Should I warn the author? I'm no guru on self-publishing, but I'm sure she could put her future books out for a lot cheaper if she published through Smashwords and hired a separate editor and cover designer.

A: Actually we did not offer to enter you into a contest for $500. We did let you know about a site we have had in development for a year which has just gone into open beta (for bloggers only at this point) that is very similar to netgalley. The review site (http://www.bloggerbookreviews.com/) offers a prize pool which starts at $500 and every time a blogger does a review, we add an amount to the pool. Some lucky blogger will win that pool at the end of Nov every year. This site was designed to connect bloggers with authors and publishers that need reviews done of their books. You will note at no time did we offer to pay for reviews.

B: We are not and have never been a vanity press.

C: Although there is no place on our website that says 'and their idea of marketing is "your book will show up in the first two pages of Google results"'. Google advertising is just one of many parts of our marketing strategy. thanx for making note of it.

D: Our author could very well have put her book up on smash words. That would have not gotten the book promoted though, which is the single biggest cost to publishing a book.

I welcome any constructive comments that anyone might have.

Have a great day!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
So perhaps you could say what you are? That is: how do you select manuscripts, how you prepare and distribute them, and how the author is compensated (including any and all payments/deferments/purchase obligations they might have).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
My impression of the review site is went rapidly downhill after reading:

"You can also join our affiliate program where you will get $5 for every author that you bring to our site via your affiliate link that buys a review package regardless of whether or not you do the review or not."

P.s. the site needs more copy-editing, I spotted several typos.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

That would have not gotten the book promoted though, which is the single biggest cost to publishing a book.

Where on Earth did you get that idea?

If that's your single largest line item, you're doin' it wrong.

MyInkBooks

Registered
Reaction score
So perhaps you could say what you are? That is: how do you select manuscripts, how you prepare and distribute them, and how the author is compensated (including any and all payments/deferments/purchase obligations they might have).

We are an ebook publishing company. Our selection criteria are proprietary and not for public consumption, I will say though that we are looking for quality manuscripts of all genera.. We take 21.5% of net (this is approx 15% of gross) proceeds after the retailer gets their commission, everything else goes to the author. No deferments other than min payment requirements and no purchase obligations. We do not do print books (only ebooks).

Rodney Wild
MyInkBooks.com

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Misspelling the word genre is never a good sign.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Misspelling the word genre is never a good sign.

It's actually not so much a misspelling as a misuse.

genera is the plural of genus.

genre is derived from the Latin genus by way of French (same as gender) but the plural of genre in English is genres.

spooner248

Registered
Reaction score
Myinkbooks.com

I was one of the first Authors to be offered a publishing contract with Myinkbooks. I received a reply to my initial contact within a few days, they offered me a contract to publish my book online.

As a first time writer, I was naturally over the moon and I signed the contract and sent it off.

Myinkbooks edited my work, converted it to formats for Kindle, iTunes etc and I sat back and waited. And waited.

Now, almost a year later, I am using an opt out option in the contract to nullify it at the 12 month point.

WHY!!!!???? I hear you shout .....

Because, they have made little or no effort to market the book.
It has sold 5 or 6 copies.
It appears to me that Myinkbooks has no knowledge or experience of the E book trade-place.

They never asked me for money at any point and to give them their due, they set up a dot com site in my name, completely free of charge.

The owner of Myinkbooks is a nice guy and I hope things will change for him in the future when he learns the ropes.
Meanwhile, I'm sitting here, disappointed.
On the other hand, maybe the book is crap :)

My advice to anyone would be to not get involved with Myinkbooks, it will only waste your time.
If You, like me, have dedicated two years of your life writing a book, sit on it a little bit longer until a serious publisher takes an interest in it.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
MyInk site currently a template. Recent activity elsewhere, so possibly revamping ....

ETA: site still unfinished. Last book pubbed '16. Another venture is/was RayOLightMedia: http://www.rayolightmedia.com/

Last edited: