UK agencies

Taylor

Registered
Reaction score
I live in the US and came across an agency that seems good, but it's in the UK. Do Americans query to UK agencies or is there no point?

I don't know what the standard practice is. Should I query them or not bother? Thanks!

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
There's nothing wrong or weird about querying a UK agent, but you need to understand that if they make a deal in the US, you'll pay them a higher percentage of your earnings.

Most agencies today 'charge' (if that's the right word) 15% on domestic sales and 20% on foreign....and 'foreign' is related to the location of the agency, not location of the author. This is because there are extra costs associated with negotiating a deal in a country that is 'foreign' to the agency, such as paying a sub-agent in the foreign locale, needing legal documents notarised, and such.

If your primary goal is to get a deal in the US, you should focus on US agents. If you don't care, or if your primary goal is to get a UK deal, there's no reason not to query a UK agent.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The most important question here is whether the manuscript you are querying would work in the UK market. If you think it would then go ahead.
The standard submission package is what US agents would think of as a partial i.e. 3 chapters, synopsis and covering letter (not query letter)