The Con Suite

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Nice one, would be good to see you again Gary and lovely to meet you Sian if you can get there - I'll be with the Angry Robot posse (i.e. at the bar).

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
A heads-up that hotel bookings for WorldCon (MidAmericon II) opened Jan 25th.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Not I, but I'm going to hit Boskone for the day on Saturday in just a little less than two weeks.

Anyone here ever gone to the Nebula Awards Weekend? Curious about impressions, worthwhileness, etc.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
I was strongly considering going to the Nebula Awards, but ultimately it was out of my budget. Mary Robinette Kowal recommends it as a great pro networking con, and a bunch of authors I admire agree. I'd like to go at least once in my life, for the experience.

I do plan to attend GenCon. Husband and I want to make a vacation out of it with my parents (also geeks) and its an hour from where they live. We were flip-flopping for a while, then I submitted a story to the Baen Fantasy Adventure contest. Since they're presenting the award at the con, it made the decision easy. Not expecting to win, but again, should be a cool experience.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, have fun and good luck! I have friends that do GenCon and love it, and it seems to be becoming more and more writer-friendly (or perhaps I'm just slowly becoming more aware of it.)

I think I may actually do the Nebula conference just because I may not get the opportunity again (fortuitous timing with potential kid care) but already I'm psyching myself into a social anxiety/imposter syndrome panic over it, so we'll see.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I was strongly considering going to the Nebula Awards, but ultimately it was out of my budget. Mary Robinette Kowal recommends it as a great pro networking con, and a bunch of authors I admire agree. I'd like to go at least once in my life, for the experience.

I do plan to attend GenCon. Husband and I want to make a vacation out of it with my parents (also geeks) and its an hour from where they live. We were flip-flopping for a while, then I submitted a story to the Baen Fantasy Adventure contest. Since they're presenting the award at the con, it made the decision easy. Not expecting to win, but again, should be a cool experience.

Hope I run into you there. I got invited to participate in the Writer's Symposium there this year. It'll be my first GenCon and third Origins this year.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, have fun and good luck! I have friends that do GenCon and love it, and it seems to be becoming more and more writer-friendly (or perhaps I'm just slowly becoming more aware of it.)

I think I may actually do the Nebula conference just because I may not get the opportunity again (fortuitous timing with potential kid care) but already I'm psyching myself into a social anxiety/imposter syndrome panic over it, so we'll see.

Thanks! It's my first foray into something at that level, so I literally ran laps in my apartment to burn off the nervous energy after I submitted. (And did dishes, and cleaned the tub...)

Yeah, I really thought Gen Con was more of a gamer thing until recently. My tabletop buddies have all either gone and loved it, or haven't and desperately want to. Looking at past programs though, it looks like they get some really cool people doing interesting panels and workshops.

Budget concerns aside, I also felt like I just didn't have enough street cred to "fit in" at the Nebulas. I was terrified I'd be all dolled up for the banquet and people would be secretly (or openly) thinking, "Who's this fool?" You've got some awesome publications though, so if you do get the opportunity, go for it!

Hope I run into you there. I got invited to participate in the Writer's Symposium there this year. It'll be my first GenCon and third Origins this year.

Oh, that's awesome! I'll keep an eye out for you so I can say, "Hi!" Hopefully you'll still have plenty of time to enjoy it in a civilian capacity.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be going to WorldCon since it is a driveable distance and I'll be gopher for my writing boss. ;)

*hides*

Keobooks

Registered
Reaction score
It's early, but I was wondering if anyone was going to GenCon this year? Is anyone presenting? I am, but it's on Trade Day, which is closed to the general public and my presentation is not about writing.

I'd still like to know who might be going, which writing events you're signed up and/or presenting.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I'll be at Archon this weekend. I'm doing several panels as well as manning a small table out in the hallway. If you're in the St. Louis area, hope to see you there.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
I just bought tickets for FantasyCon this September - hope to see some of the UK crowd there :)

eskay

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to be at Norwescon in Seattle next month (my first con! :eek:) Would love to meet up with any of you lovely folk who are attending.

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm about 95% sure I'm going to the Nebulas, because it's being held in my hometown this year so why not? I gotta say, I'm a little nervous and have no idea what to expect.

rusoluchka

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone thinking of going to WonderCon in March? I've never been which is ridiculous since it's in my backyard.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I will be at Worldcon this year in San Jose, and I signed up for their tour of the Stanford Accelerator, so if anyone else is going let me know!

recoveringandroid

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be at Worldcon this year as well! Really looking forward to it. This is my first Worldcon.