zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Conventions are an integral part of the global SFF community, and a great place to meet fellow AWers and/or attend panels about topics relevant to us as writers and fans. And, you know, have loads of fun. So, it seems a good idea to have a sticky thread for 'em.

This is a good spot to let us know about upcoming conventions and where to get more info about them. If you are attending and want to let other AWers know, here's a good place to do it!

Please, though, keep convention blurbs brief (links to con websites are a better way to direct people at detailed info), and remember that this is *not* a space for self-promotion. If you're going to be on programming, feel free to mention that, but please no schedules, etc. Also, this is not a place to post about single-author or closed events. If you're not sure if something is appropriate, PM one of the room mods.

Thanks, and hope to see you around! :)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
WorldCon (aka The World Science Fiction Convention), which is also LoneStarCon 3, will be in San Antonio the weekend of August 29th through September 2nd. Hope to see several AWers there! :D

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
If you're close to Columbus Ohio, I recommend Context, which is a regional SF/F convention that focuses mainly on written SF/F. This year, it's being held September 27-29, 2013.

There's a whole pile of writing workshops, too, for very reasonable prices, including a worldbuilding one jointly taught by Scott Lynch and Elizabeth Bear.

I also highly recommend Timons Esaias's Warfare for Writers workshop. (Well, any of his workshops, actually.)

If you do decide to go, make a hotel reservation soon, as there's an Ohio State home game that weekend, so the hotels may fill up sooner than expected.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, I expect to be going to Arisia in Boston, MA, this coming January. (GoH is Tanya Huff) Would love to meet other AWers face to face :)

Mossy9

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone going to DFWCON 2014 in Hurst, TX in May? It'll be my third time going. Awesome place to meet writers.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Never heard of ConDFW before. What's it like? Is it pretty good for writers or is it more fan based convention?

It's more fan based, specifically SF/F. But there are a lot of other genres represented too. There's also an art show, gaming, and filking. Lots of Texas based authors attend and tons of fans. It's a great time! There is some writer programming, but it's mostly for fans.

Yours looks really cool too, though. But I'll be in New Orleans at a different con that weekend. Maybe next year!

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone going to Eastercon, which is in Glasgow, Scotland, this year? Here.

I will be there.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
We should! I know CobraMisfit is going as well. I'm sure others are, too. May take this to the meetup thread. :)

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone going to the Writers Symposium at GenCon this year?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Worldcon in London is getting closer! I note that apparently one is advised to purchase tickets to the London Eye in advance, for a set day/time. Do we want to coordinate an AWer London Eye excursion?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Convention starts Thursday. We could do Wednesday afternoon? Or wait for the programming schedule to come out and pick a dull morning? Thoughts?