Authors Similar to Megan Hart?

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Does anyone know of any authors similar to Megan Hart, not in just the erotic aspect, but the emotional aspect as well? In fact, I would consider the emotional aspect more important than the erotic aspect. I'm having a bit of a tough time finding similar writers.
Note: This includes most genres; it doesn't have to be Contemporary; it can be Urban/Fantasy, Suspense.Thriller, Mystery, and etc. I would prefer it if Horror wasn't involved but Dark Fantasy/Urban Fantasy/Contemporary Fantasy is fine.

Thanks. :)

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried Gabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard or Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire?

Those might be two that could interest you.

I also enjoyed the Dark Duet by CJ Roberts but I enjoy more of the dark/flawed connections.

Oh and another one that might interest you would be Aleatha Romig's Truth. Another twisted connection. Sorry. I read Broken by Megan Hart and really liked that one.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of Gabriel Inferno and Beautiful Disaster? They both really didn't sound like too much my thing.

Someone on Twitter said that Anne Calhoun and Cara Mckenna(her later works) are both similar to Megan Hart. :)

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
What's so great about Megan Hart? I don't really get it. I've read two of her books and I made myself finish them, but I got bored.But then I'm not sure I "get" contemporary romance without suspense or paranormal elements. I get bored. I get bored when family are sitting around a table talking like happened a lot in Tempted etc...

Last edited:

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
What's so great about Megan Hart? I don't really get it. I've read two of her books and I made myself finish them but I got bored.But then I'm not sure I "get" contemporary romance without suspense or paranormal elements. I get bored. I get bored when family are sitting around a table talking like happened a lot in Tempted etc...

I don't know. I mean me, personally, I'm kind of going through a Chick Lit/Women's Fiction phase, or whatever you want to say, or maybe I'm just reading in the genre more. Again, I don't know.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Megan Hart is just so immensely popular, but I'm not sure why. She is a talented writer I just personally find her books have a slow pace.

Last edited:

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
I strongly recommend Lauren Dane -- she is a master of the craft! Also, friends with Megan, I believe.

Yeah, she is. I think they've done a few anthologies together. She was recommended to me before. Thanks. :)

@gingerwoman: I'll be honest. I don't really know how to respond to that. I mean I'm not saying Megan Hart is only person who writes well in the genre or anything. However, I'm not going to deny that I like her books. And I do still enjoy PNR/UF and M/T/S stuff. I just like her books. As for why she is so immensely popular/well known, that could be a lot of things, and that's not really a question I feel I can answer properly, you know? I feel like people could ask the same question about a lot of authors that are really popular. And the reverse of that question (Why isn't XYZ popular?) can be asked about twice as many authors, and again, that's an equally hard question to answer.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
It's just my own personal preference Silver Midnight it wasn't a comment on your reading tastes, but just on Hart's immense popularity. I recognize her as a very skilled stylist. I guess maybe I just don't personally much enjoy romance and erotica without any suspense or paranormal elements. Straight contemporary is not my thing I guess.
My question came from a genuine place of wanting to analyze what about her writing grabs so many people, which elements appeal, something I always seek to know as an author or try to find in popular works, but it's usually not an easy thing for people to identify. Sometimes with some books I can guess why they are so amazingly popular, I just can't really with Hart. I would have thought a book like Dirty might have been ignored by readers because although the ending is very compelling and the style interesting, I found it a rather slow moving book, but no it was not ignored, it was picked up for the very competitive Spice line and became a smash hit.I was hoping you could shed some light on what grabbed you, in order to improve my own writing, but I know it's not easy to identify these things.
Maya Banks is another erotica author people seem to think does an amazing job of grabbing readers emotions, but she's more erotic romantic suspense rather than straight contemp.
Lauren Dane is a Samhain author as is Maya Banks, another Samhain author who writes very popular erotic contemp romance is Cherrie Lynn you might also like Portia Da Costa.

Last edited:

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
It's just my own personal preference Silver Midnight it wasn't a comment on your reading tastes, but just on Hart's immense popularity. I recognize her as a very skilled stylist. I guess maybe I just don't personally much enjoy romance and erotica without any suspense or paranormal elements. Straight contemporary is not my thing I guess.
My question came from a genuine place of wanting to analyze what about her writing grabs so many people, which elements appeal, something I always seek to know as an author or try to find in popular works, but it's usually not an easy thing for people to identify. Sometimes with some books I can guess why they are so amazingly popular, I just can't really with Hart. I would have thought a book like Dirty might have been ignored by readers because although the ending is very compelling and the style interesting, I found it a rather slow moving book, but no it was not ignored, it was picked up for the very competitive Spice line and became a smash hit.I was hoping you could shed some light on what grabbed you, in order to improve my own writing, but I know it's not easy to identify these things.

Oh, okay. I can try and explain it, remember, I can't speak for every reader out there who is her fan though. Me, personally, I like the very emotional aspect that comes with her stories. Her novels seem very realistic in my opinion, and I've noticed this same thing with Stacia Kane (who write Urban Fantasy) and even Tiffany Reisz (another erotic fiction/romance author). I haven't read every single one of her books (yet), but from what I have read, even with Kane and Reisz, again, based on what I've read, the relationships(and conflicts within those relationships) go "out there", or the "No Man's Land of a Romance Novel"(basically they have things, IMO, that I heard was not supposed to be in a "true" Romance novel). So, it's those conflicts plus the fact that they're resolved, again, in my opinion, realistically(even if it means the two characters don't end up together). I think I have a very moderate sense of Suspension of Disbelief, and when that gets just obliterated, something that happens with books that aren't just Romance novels, I'm just tossed from the book completely and can't get back in. This isn't to say that books can't end happily or with weddings or anything like that, but the ending has to match the rest of the book.

And on top of that, again, like I said, her characters feel realistic, even if I don't agree with them or really like them. I don't dislike them to the point that I want to stop reading, or I feel like they're TSTL or true-blue-no-doubt-about-it alpha-holes. They're flawed yet likable/readable.

And also I like the quotes/sayings/prose etc. That type of stuff. The points where she(or they) get very-to-kind-of-poetic in their writing.

Maya Banks is another erotica author people seem to think does an amazing job of grabbing readers emotions, but she's more erotic romantic suspense rather than straight contemp.
Lauren Dane is a Samhain author as is Maya Banks, another Samhain author who writes very popular erotic contemp romance is Cherrie Lynn you might also like Portia Da Costa.

I've read two books in Maya Banks' Breathless Trilogy. They were good; I like them. The heroes(and even heroines in some cases) in them though were a bit :rant: - worthy for me though. They kind of pushed the limit with that. But it was fine/good.

I haven't read Lauren Dane yet.

The other two authors listed I haven't heard of really.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
They are both quite well known. Portia Da Costa is British though, but after 50 Shades of Grey she kind of got swept along as an erotica author and became much more well know. Completely unlike EL James though, close to Megan Hart but her writing is more "beautiful" exquisity detailed, very erotic.
Cherrie Lynn is another Samhain author that hit the NYT best seller list with her contemporary erotic romance.
Thank you for your insights.

Last edited: