Freaks and Geeks

colebooks

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
I started watching the show on Netflix after never seeing it before and was floored.I finished the entire series in less than two days and feel in love with the characters,writing and the relatability of the show. When I was done I was left with a it of an empty feeling. Anyone else a fan of this magnificent show?

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely. I find it similar to My So Called Life in many ways. I am a big fan of James Franco, and it's so cool to see him in one of the first things he ever did. It's the same way for a lot of the cast, most of whom are also quite famous now. At the time, they were unknowns. Still, it's hard to believe that this excellent show did not even last long enough to air all of its episodes.

I related to Lindsey's group of friends the most. They reminded me a lot of the kids I went to high school with. A lot of what happened in that show happened to me when I was in high school. There are points at which it becomes uncomfortable to watch because it hits way to close to home.

I saw This Is The End recently, and James Franco and Seth Rogan referenced Freaks & Geeks a few times, which made me smile. They work together very well, and they met on this great show. I am so glad it has found an audience after its cancellation.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just loved this series. We still reference it at home all the time. The kids' high school experiences were a generation later than mine, but it still resonates.

And sometimes stings.

Maryn, big fan

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I related to Lindsey's group of friends the most. They reminded me a lot of the kids I went to high school with. A lot of what happened in that show happened to me when I was in high school. There are points at which it becomes uncomfortable to watch because it hits way to close to home.

Despite the gender difference, I identified with Lindsay a lot. That's because I was a "freak" and my younger brother was a "geek" during our high school days, just like Lindsay and Sam. What an experience that was!

Overall "Freaks and Geeks" was a great show, I think. The pilot episode, the one with the school prom, is probably my all-time favorite made-for-TV production. I mean, I'd always hated "Come Sail Away" by Styx, until...(no spoilers here). :)

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Great show. I guess I identified with the kids somewhat (except for having a group of friends; that would have been nice).

My girlfriend just gave me the whole show on DVD. She's a really good girlfriend.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a game for fans of the show, which our family (three fans, one meh) plays.

It's ten years after Sam's graduation.

Pick one character and tell us what s/he has done in the last ten/eleven years and where his or her life is now.

Maryn, eager to see what you all have to say

colebooks

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
@Celia Cyanide Im also a big franco fan.The show was so well acted it felt real lol.

@Vito That was a great scene!Reminded me of akward eight grade dances

@Manuel Royal your girl friend sounds awesome!

@Maryn that sounds interesting! I will do mine in the next post

I think in eight grade I was defiently Sam,except I was on a sports team . Later I fit more into lindsays click somewhat but stayed away from trouble,I have to check out This is the end.

colebooks

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
10 years after Sams graduation.Lindsay weir is 30.Id imagine her to go one to to star in the scooby doo movies as Velma.jk

I think Lindsay took a break after high school and traveled the world a bit.She was dating Nick for two years but broke up with him before she left town at 18. She comes back from Italy 2 years later and surprises her family when she comes back and is married to an artist at 20 years old and has a son.

One divorce and one child later Lindsay reunites with Millie who has a Bachelors degree a nice house and a child on the way with her husband, Bill .That's when she decides that although shes had a fun life she is ready to actually use her smarts. Even Kin Kelly went to college and moved to new york to before a news reported. So Lindsay Enrolls in college and fishes before her own children go to kindergarten. At 29, Lindsay gets a job as a public defender,defending the rights of everyone in her area.She volunteers for animal rights and has a garden.

One day a single Nick,who is on a stop for tour of his band, is in town and he visits A-1 sports store hoping to see the one that got away, Lindsay. When he see's her oldest son who looks just like him he realizes he is the father of her first child.They reunite and get back together and live happily ever after.

Oh and Lindsay supports the legalization of marijuana lol episode 13 ref.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
See, wasn't that fun?

This is the one I did several years ago for Lindsay:

Lindsay “finds herself” as she follows the Grateful Dead tour. Although she graduates from high school near the top of her class, she never again competes as a Mathlete or feels anything more than a nostalgic closeness to Millie. Instead, she fully embraces the hippie lifestyle, although she is careful when buying and never drives when she’s stoned. (It’s an excellent time to call her parents, though.)

Braless and barefoot when the weather allows, Lindsay takes a variety of classes in college but finds that she remains very good at math (no surprise there) and that she likes it more than her other classwork. She completes her degree in three-and-a-half years, not the usual four, and works in her Dad’s sporting goods store every summer, convincing him to add skateboards and hacky sacks to his stock.

She is in grad school when she chances to meet Ken on campus. He, too, is doing post-graduate work, studying political science. They share a meal and catch up on their old friends’ lives, and find that they like one another much more than they did in high school. Ken makes her laugh.

Today Dr. Lindsay Weir is Chairman of the Math Department at the University of Michigan and an ardent supporter of liberal political views. She and Ken live in a rambling old house near the Ann Arbor campus. Often filled with students and music, the house is a study in 70s kitsch decor, which she collects, a hobby which mystifies her parents (who are not permitted to discard anything without checking with her first).

She and Ken have two children and no intention of marrying. They have almost no contact with their high school friends beyond the exchange of non-Christmas cards, although Sam’s friends Neil and occasionally Harris are among the people who stop in to argue politics, drink cheap wine, and listen to old vinyl with Lindsay’s and Ken’s students.

colebooks

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
I never thought of Lindsay and Ken toether but can see it,have you seen the Vanity Fair Reunion Freaks and geeks had eariler this year? the shows creater,who the shoe was based on ,made a list of where he wanted season 2 to go.

Apperently after the graful dead concerts Lindsay was taken out on a strecter and that was to open season 2.Theres alot of other intering twist but i dont want to spoil it for any one .

The article is here http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2012/12/paul-feig-season-two-freaks-and-geeks

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I never thought of Lindsay and Ken toether

Ha! What about her and Nick? She didn't even seem to like him. He just followed her around and decided she was his girlfriend, and she didn't know how to get out of it.

I always thought that before they graduated, Daniel would fall head over heels for Lindsey. But it would be too late, she would already be over him. I don't think he would have gone to college, but I think he would have moved to a big city somewhere and gotten a punk rock job as a bartender or something.